Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2017, 03:53 PM

Default Focusrite Routing (Recording Guitar)

Hey Guys,
I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and I want to recording my e-guitar with a direct connection.
I put the (guitar)cable in the Focusrite and created an Audio Mono Track.
I uploaded a few images. Hope you can help me.

Thx for help

Last edited by Marvin Losch; 12-15-2017 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Focusrite Routing (Recording Guitar)

Oh c'mon, detail, details...

But before that have you started by trying to finding a tutorial on YouTube or similar to do what you want? And what there is not working as expected? This forum is not the place to get basic instructions or tutorial help on how to record stuff.

But if you are having problems following a tutorial then folks here will help you but you need to provide a useful amount of information:

What exactly is not working like you expect?

What sort of guitar acoustic? electric? Accoustic with external mic? Piezo? electric with pickups?

What exact make/model guitar, mic and or pickups...

What exactly is plugged into what exact input using what type of cable and connector. Describe any DI boxes or preamps and their settings.

If tracking an electric guitar what amp sim software/plugins do you have? Include screen shots showing track input and output IO assignments and amp sim inserts and plugin settings.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Focusrite Routing (Recording Guitar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Losch View Post
Hey Guys,
I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and I want to recording my e-guitar with a direct connection.
I put the (guitar)cable in the Focusrite and created an Audio Mono Track.
I uploaded a few images. Hope you can help me.

Thx for help
The Focusrite Scarlett Solo does not appear as an I/O device in Pro Tools but only as either of them which means that if you select Scarlett Solo USB in your Pro Tools Engine menu, you either will have the Inputs without the Outputs or the Outputs without the Inputs working.

What you will have to do will be to create a Pro Tools Aggregate Device in the Audio-Midi-Setup menu of your Mac.
There you will have to create such an Aggregate Device including one Scarlett Solo USB for the Inputs, another Scarlett Solo USB for the Outputs.

In the Playback Engine menu in Pro Tools itself you then will have to select "Pro Tools Aggregate Device" for your audio engine. Not any of the Scarlett Solo USB options.

If you will set up these things correctly, you will be able to get your guitar signal into Pro Tools as well as hear your Pro Tools Outputs (Playback).

Yeah, after you will have selected "Pro Tools Aggregate Device" in the Pro Tools Plack Engine menu, don't forget to set all your I/O settings to "Default" manually before you start
working. On each single tab click "Default", then press "OK".

This all will hopefully solve your "Midi-Problem" posted in another thread as well.

Btw this is a common problem in Pro Tools with many of the really low cost audio interfaces but it can be solved by creating such a Pro Tools Aggregate Device.

However it would be the much better idea to invest 50 bucks more to get a Scarlett 2i2 which does work without any hacks like this. And it even will sound and work better with Pro Tools.
For anybody else who will read this considering buying a low cost audio interface for the work with Pro Tools...get the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen and you will never look back.
It´s definitely worth the 50 more.

The best of success to everyone,

VRW