Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2003, 02:51 PM

Default administrative privilages

So I'm updating a lab to OSX /PT6 etc and now I've got this problem - OSX asks for a user login and ProTools won't run on any account except the administrator. What's up with that? Checking the AnswerBase I get a truly lame answer:

"Yes. Pro Tools is capable of creating and deleting huge files on a system, and if a user with no Administrator privileges isn't normally allowed to delete these files then Pro Tools shouldn't let him/her delete them either. If Pro Tools gave Administrator powers to non-administrators there could be a lot of potential problems. Historically this has always been the case with Pro Tools, whether on Mac OS 9 and previous (where there was only one user who had the equivalent of Administrator access), or on Windows NT, 2000, or XP."

There is no reason to require admin access for what the students need to do with ProTools. Is there a work around for this? Digi seems to consider this a feature if I read this correctly. I can't believe we have the only educational sound lab with ProTools that doesn't give the students admin access...how have others solved this?

Thanks in advance.

dp
Old 10-10-2003, 06:19 PM

Default Re: administrative privilages

If you search both the TDM, and 002,mbox for mac forums, you will find plenty to read...

...this may change with Panther somehow

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason