Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2012, 06:22 AM

Default Re: Dear Avid, this is what I want for Christmas. (as in now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazylain View Post
Though one can't be sure, it looks like he's complaining about the Input Monitoring feature that comes standard in other DAWs, but missing in regular ProTools 10. He mentions CUE Mix & his Motu interface, but didnot explain the problem with PT10.

It's a valid concern as I also want to avoid Input Monitoring workarounds without paying $1,999 for the CPTK.
BAM. I'm not complaining about MOTU. Fine product and I am loving what I have. I'm complaining that I have to use Cuemix instead of simply using PT alone.

Cuemix, in itself, is not the problem. The problem is that I have to use it, when with my old system, I opened up PT and everything I needed was in that one program. Now I have to have two programs. It's stupid and redundant.

As for the 003, we'll see who's bragging when they can't get PT 11 to work with it. Perhaps Avid will take pity and make a program for input monitoring and then you can also have fun fiddling with two programs instead of one.

or up the ante and get HD. Sure when I find myself with $10k burning a hole in my wallet.

Go ahead and point and laugh, but I've been using PT for 10 years now and I just find this to be a hassle.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:02 AM

Cheer up mate - you can only change what you have control over - and as the famous saying goes "here's gravel in your......." Oh I think you know
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Actually everything below 10ms latency is going to be just fine... 64 buffer you just forget about it and get some work done.
+1
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveleye View Post
BAM. I'm not complaining about MOTU. Fine product and I am loving what I have. I'm complaining that I have to use Cuemix instead of simply using PT alone.

Cuemix, in itself, is not the problem. The problem is that I have to use it, when with my old system, I opened up PT and everything I needed was in that one program. Now I have to have two programs. It's stupid and redundant.

As for the 003, we'll see who's bragging when they can't get PT 11 to work with it. Perhaps Avid will take pity and make a program for input monitoring and then you can also have fun fiddling with two programs instead of one.

or up the ante and get HD. Sure when I find myself with $10k burning a hole in my wallet.

Go ahead and point and laugh, but I've been using PT for 10 years now and I just find this to be a hassle.
Again... it has nothing to do with Pro Tools. CueMix is there because MOTU put it there. It's not up to Avid to decide how 3rd party interfaces work. That is up to the manufacturer. CueMix, MixControl (Focusrite) exist entirely due to the manufacturer. As is the case with any DAW you use with the unit. CueMix isn't redundant, it's a DSP mixer that takes place before any audio even gets to Pro Tools. As would be the case with Logic, Cubase, et al.

The 001 worked the way it worked because it was Avid hardware with Avid software. The MOTU works differently. Plus, what was the entry cost of an 001 with Pro Tools back in the day? Considerably more than a MOTU + the cost of Pro Tools 10.

Also, the 003 is more than likely to work just fine with PT11.

Quote:
Oh sure, Kev, just learn CueMIx and you'll be fine. I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO FOOL WITH TWO PROGRAMS AT ONE TIME.
By the way... this sentiment is ridiculous. You bought a product, and yet you refuse to learn how to use it? How is that anyone's fault but your own?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-24-2012, 01:39 PM

I don't know how you do it bro! If I had to mess with another stupid mixer and not Pro Tools I would take that MOTU back!
I have to admit the MOTU is nice but if Avid did not work out a deal with MOTU to include plug and play for Pro Tools then F that! I ain't buying it!
Come on Avid is Christmas! Give the man a dongle or something! lol...
Old 11-24-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I'm not laughing, I'm sure it's a hassle. I had to learn the Focusrite Mix Control when I got my Liquid 56. You just need to understand that this is not an Avid problem because they don't make the MOTU.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 11-24-2012, 01:55 PM

Guess it was not that much of an issue for with the RME totalmix. Also had a lynx aurora running through it. Set it up when PT9 was first released and never touched it again unless I renamed a channel or something. Did everything else through PT I/O settings. Tracked at 64 hw buffer and never had a problem. I replaced this system a couple weeks ago and totalmix was never an issue.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 11-24-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazylain View Post
It's a valid concern as I also want to avoid Input Monitoring workarounds without paying $1,999 for the CPTK.
JUST LEARN THE KEYBOARD SHORT CUT
or pay $700 for a used PTHD 10 and use in CPTK mode and get more of everything. You will always be behind about 6months this way but your PT features and performance will increase dramatically.
MAX HD voices and track count , well worth it
albee1952 does this and he is a very capable audio engineer and PT operator
Old 11-24-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Audio View Post
JUST LEARN THE KEYBOARD SHORT CUT
or pay $700 for a used PTHD 10 and use in CPTK mode and get more of everything. You will always be behind about 6months this way but your PT features and performance will increase dramatically.
MAX HD voices and track count , well worth it
albee1952 does this and he is a very capable audio engineer and PT operator
Spend time learning something, or spend money to get exactly what you want? What's the fun in that when you can just come here and complain about it instead?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-24-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
...I'm complaining that I have to use Cuemix instead of simply using PT alone...The problem is that I have to use it...
Motu makes a pretty good case for why they include Cuemix. From the marketing angle, it is supposed to make people want to buy their product. It has nifty talkback/studio mic hot buttons, but the big feature with the PCI-based interfaces is that one can achieve almost zero latency, because you can route your I/O where you need it the most, before it enters your CPU. It also runs in its own window. It works especially well on a dual monitor setup: you can open it, move it out of the way, and resize it however you want, using the elevator bars to scroll to the inputs you are checking for clipping, etc.

Or, you can just unmute outputs 1 and 2, minimize it and mix until your ears bleed. Set it, and forget it.

I have both Cuemix and Totalmix (RME) and was using both before Pro Tools, except with Logic, Logic's environment (now there's a spaghetti of virtual patches...), and even Gigastudio, which also had its own mixer.

It is true that you have to know where you are routing your signal if you actually want to audition it. But a guitar amp needs a signal input to do its stuff, too.
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon