Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2006, 10:09 AM

Default Machine Follows Edit Insertion/Scrub and \"offline\"

I wanted to take an informal poll.

As a user, I always found it frustrating that the "Machine Follows Edit Insertion/Scrub" preference was active when Pro Tools was in an "off-line" state.

Of course, changing that behavior so "offline" takes that behavior offline as well might break some workflows - but I cannot think of a reason not to change this behavior.

Could you all weigh in on this? I don't know when we'd be able to make the change, but I wanted to at least get the information.

Thanks!

Danny Caccavo
Product Manager
Digidesign
Old 02-03-2006, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Machine Follows Edit Insertion/Scrub and \"offline\"

i share your frustration, and would like to see this behavior removed. Also, how are you? Haven't seen you in 15 years or so!
Eric Liljestrand
Los Angeles
[email protected]
Old 02-03-2006, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Machine Follows Edit Insertion/Scrub and \"offl

Quote:
As a user, I always found it frustrating that the "Machine Follows Edit Insertion/Scrub" preference was active when Pro Tools was in an "off-line" state.
Me too.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:26 AM

Changing this behavior is fine by me.
Peace,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 02-04-2006, 03:58 PM

Danny-

What about those of us running VirtualVTR, sitting on a dub stage, and we have to go offline to edit something and we have to see how it works to picture. Without the Preference checked, we'd have to say online to do our edits, but then the dub stage rolls, it sends timecode into our Sync I/Os, and of course we're not able to edit any more, we're back rolling in sync for the mix.

The work-around would be to plug stage timecode into a switch box, and shut timecode off going to the Sync I/O, but leave it going out via midi and midi machine comntrol (or midi timecode out the Sync I/O)

Unless of course I'm misundertsanding what you mean by "offline." Does this make any sense?

Craig
Old 02-04-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Danny-

What about those of us running VirtualVTR, sitting on a dub stage, and we have to go offline to edit something and we have to see how it works to picture. Without the Preference checked, we'd have to say online to do our edits, but then the dub stage rolls, it sends timecode into our Sync I/Os, and of course we're not able to edit any more, we're back rolling in sync for the mix.

The work-around would be to plug stage timecode into a switch box, and shut timecode off going to the Sync I/O, but leave it going out via midi and midi machine comntrol (or midi timecode out the Sync I/O)

Unless of course I'm misundertsanding what you mean by "offline." Does this make any sense?

Craig
Well, that's exactly why I took the poll..... Sounds like the only way to change this behavior would be with a preference.

Sigh...

Thanks!

Danny Caccavo
Product Manager
Digidesign
Old 02-04-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Sounds like the only way to change this behavior would be with a preference.
Sounds good to me!
Old 02-05-2006, 09:08 AM

i hadn't weighed in yet because i wanted to understand what you were suggesting...
as another VVTR user, i click on the timeline to see where the video is parked. and then i scrub and edit, often offline. i do also edit online.

one of the beauties of VVTR is when you create or grab an automation point, the video scrubs with your automation edit (does this behavior happen in mojo too?). or, similarly, when you are trimming a region, or using the smart tool to create a fade, VVTR chases your cursor movements and you can get very precise with your editing ans you watch the video scrub with you.

if i lost this ability just becasue i went offline, i'd be miffed! so, yes, please make it a preference.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 02-06-2006, 11:40 AM

How are each of you controlling VVTR. Do you have Pro Tools controlling VVTR using 9-pin, MMC or MTC?
Old 02-06-2006, 11:53 AM

hi scott,

i have PT contolling VVTR using the MTC out of the sync i/o and MMC through an emagic amt|8.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash