Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-24-2008, 05:56 PM

Default Ozone/Pro Tools Master Bug..... A PRETTY PLEASE FIX!!!!

I e-mailed Massey about this about 4 months ago. I thought it was his incredible Delay Plugin that was doing this. It's not.
This is what's going on.
So, I'm in the middle of a mix and I'm using my normal plug's on the Master. One of them happens to be the Izotope Ozone-Love this plugin.
I only use it on the Master and I use it at it's highest settings (Just sounds sooooo much better). I'm doing the normal but, in this song the delay that the artist wants on the hook is in your face delay.
So, of course, no problem. I create an aux put my beloved TD5 on there and send the vocal to that, highlight the part he wants to delay and bam.... Done..... Yep but, nope.
To make a long story short, after going through every fix I could I disabled the Ozone and bam. That did it. The Ozone has a delay comp of "26,688"!!!! For some reason, this effects the aux busses. I tried different plugin delays even Digi's and still same thing. Also, for some reason, you can't disable the DC from the Master. Why??? I can disable DC on all other tracks except the Master. Don't see why I would even need it on the Master but, also good to have for whatever reason I guess.
I will just record down the delay for now as a quick fix but, Digi do you have any suggestions?

I'm using 24bit/48k for this Mix.

Also, I notice that soon as I go to 1024 in the H/W buffer that delay comp can't handle it.
Please up the delay comp. This is very frustrating when mixing in Pro Tools.

Marc

New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 04-24-2008, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Ozone/Pro Tools Master Bug..... A PRETTY PLEASE FIX!!!!

Have you tried using an Aux as master and bussing to it? There are lots of reasons to do this anyway (pre fader inserts for one) and it just might fix your problem.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:33 PM

If it's on the master fader, just disable Delay Comp for the master fader. It's the last thing so you don't need it. I think in the Mix window it's just Alt + Right-Click but I don't remember exactly (I know it's something + Right-Click). I'm always importing Session Data. But yes, you can disable it on the master fader.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Have you tried using an Aux as master and bussing to it? There are lots of reasons to do this anyway (pre fader inserts for one) and it just might fix your problem.
I'll try it to see how that works. I'll let everyone know.

Thanx

Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

Old 04-24-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
If it's on the master fader, just disable Delay Comp for the master fader. It's the last thing so you don't need it. I think in the Mix window it's just Alt + Right-Click but I don't remember exactly (I know it's something + Right-Click). I'm always importing Session Data. But yes, you can disable it on the master fader.
I'll try everything, but I think I heard someone from here say that this doesn't work for UB/Mac Intel users.

Let ya know....

Marc

Old 04-24-2008, 11:23 PM

I Love you guys.... Hahaha....

First off, dmazurek great idea for using extra plugins if need be which I usually do.
Is there any sonic difference in the Aux and the Master? Does one have more headroom than the other?
I don't think it does but, I think it is a valid question if I'm going to use an Aux in this manner. Love it though. Thanx

Mr. Lancejorton, this did the trick as well. There's something going on if the Master has too much Delay Compensation going that it mess's up all the effects timings really badly.
Digi, you should look at this seriously. This is a bad bug that should be able to be fixed of course. I always have most of my efx really low, I mean barely able to hear them but, feel them and this is the main reason I've been looking over this for so long. Also, I thought it was the new TD5 at the time and that's my reasoning for hitting up Steve.
This was one of them moment's were the artist thought it would be good to showcase this efx which I totally agreed. In doing so, this made me aware of this huge problem. I was stumped and wasted about an hour or more trying to figure out if I could re-route/re-engage/re record/disable blah blah blah....On all the other channels I'm so use to disabling the DC by holding control/apple and click on DC numbers. I didn't know about right clicking would do the same. So biggup's to you lancejorton!!!

This brings me to my next question, why is these DC numbers standard for Pro Tools. Why only go up to 4095 for 48k and 8191 for 96k and whatever it maybe for 192k? Why not make all of them the DC for 192k? Is there a solid reason. Not to bring up Logic Pro but, they do, do a great job at DC. Don't know what theirs goes up to but, it handles very nicely and you don't have to choose and pick. It just handles whatever you need for the session.
Pro Tools emphasis mixing on their platform and I agree, it is thee best out there right now for that other than hardware but, these little things like this always stops the workflow of mixing then, you have to turn into Mr tech to find out why this is doing this, is it a bug and so on. When your mixing the most important thing is workflow, moving and not stopping the vibe and the feel of the mix. Pro Tools is almost there with plugins sounding the way they do but, things like DC is a huge workflow stopper and plugins aren't getting any smaller in size. First it was Time Slots now DC, inserts, voices at 96k and I'm sure a few others.

Sorry for they rant but, I love Pro Tools and would love to see it step up it's game in the Mixing area since they promote that the most and people are doing it much more on a pro level.

Thanx

Marc