Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2016, 03:25 PM

Default Playback through Monitors instead of iMAC

First Post. I've really tried to work through this before asking, but I cannot seem to figure it out. Thanks in advance.

Before the question, here is the set-up (all brand new within last 2 weeks...I say that bc I'm not sure of the version of PT as I sit here at work):

- 11 Rack
- iMAC 16GB, Quad Core i7
- Main out of 11 Rack go to Yamaha HS5 (two of them)

I've successfully recorded multiple midi tracks (first time...addicted already) and finally figured out how to mic/record my acoustic guitar and create an audio track in PT in addition to the midi (instrument) tracks.

Question: When I want to hear my tracks (whether a solo track or multiple together) I am still hearing them through the iMAC (whatever internal speakers are on the iMAC) instead of my monitors. I'm sure I'm missing something in the I/O of either PT or iMAC or 11 Rack or a combo...but cannot figure it out.

Thanks for any guidance. I appreciate it.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Playback through Monitors instead of iMAC

Welcome to DUC.

You have the wrong Setup>Playback Engine selected.

Get into the habit of holding down the 'N' key when starting Pro Tools and keep it held down until the playback engine dialog panel appears and make sure the Eleven Rack is selected as the playback engine.

Do you like the HS5?
Old 09-12-2016, 03:38 PM

Thanks Darryl. I'll try that as soon as I get home from work (to my fiance's dismay). Okay, so if I understand, it's a Pro Tool Setting "Set Up/Playback Engine". I'm wondering if...since the signal has to go through 11 Rack to get to the monitors...if there is any setting for the playback via monitors that I need to set in 11Rack? I've only had the HS5 Monitors for a few days and never have done any recording outside of the last week or so...so...i LOVE them but cannot say if its because they rock, or just because Ihave nothing to compare to.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:45 PM

No normally you just plug in the monitors to the Eleven Rack main outputs and your sessions will default to using that IO path for monitoring... if you have the Eleven Rack selected as the playback engine.

If things still don't work go to Setup>IO>Input (and Output and Bus pages) and delete all the IO showing (click on items on left of the grid with the mouse, then click on DELETE), then click the DEFAULT button. This is called "defaulting the IO".

Having a read through the Pro Tools Reference Guide, or Pro Tool 101 Book, or following tutorials on You Tube are all good things to help you get going. There is too much here to just try to get it working by yourself.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:20 AM

Darryl,
Just wanted to say thanks again. Went home last night and figured it out based on your input. Awesome resource here. Hope I can start helping (instead of only asking questions) soon!