Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 03-26-2010, 04:36 PM

Default EZdrummer or Abbey Road drums?

So I was pretty decided on ezdrummer. Love the drag and drop midi and the add on kits seem great but the other day I heard NI's Abbey Road 70's drums. Man that was quite something.

As someone new to drum software/sample and keen to jump on board what should I do?
Old 03-26-2010, 06:36 PM

Default Re: EZdrummer or Abbey Road drums?

Buy the Abbey Road 70's, set the mapping to EZ Drummer mapping, then just buy the midi packs from Toontrack. Best of both worlds.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:14 PM

I have EZDrummer with the DFH expansion. I am not terribly impressed with the features. I got it on sale for 74 bucks so it beat out BFD 2. Abbey Road looks cool. I find the drums in ezdrummer all have too much "POP". It takes me a lot of creative eq and comp. to get them the way i like them, and it's still a stretch. That's my opinion. ezdrummer is also has no tuneing feature and a lack of HH (2 came with it and only one with DFH.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
I have EZDrummer with the DFH expansion. I am not terribly impressed with the features. I got it on sale for 74 bucks so it beat out BFD 2. Abbey Road looks cool. I find the drums in ezdrummer all have too much "POP". It takes me a lot of creative eq and comp. to get them the way i like them, and it's still a stretch. That's my opinion. ezdrummer is also has no tuneing feature and a lack of HH (2 came with it and only one with DFH.
While this is accurate, if you cross-grade to SD2, it will work with all the EZX kits AND allow for tuning and swapping parts from different kits. That;s handy since the Nashville Black Beauty smokes the Avatar snare(just an opinion there) while the SD toms are less ringy.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 PM

ohh. Thanks. I was wondering if the cross grade was worth the money. I have the entire toontrack installer library installers on disk already, so I just need to buy the code. But I wasn't sure if I would be happy. I think I may look into this.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:37 PM

I have most Toontrack products and Abbey Road 60's Drums.
The Abby Road 60's drums sound very nice. Waaaayyy better than the stock kit that comes wit EZ Drummer (which, like all the EZD expansion packs is 16 bit by the way...)

I just finished creating Templates in PTLE tonight for each of the AR kits. The Early 60's Gretsch kit with the Kick mic and Mono OH mic sounds really, really nice.

I may use some Toontrack SD2 kits in the future, but since I acquired AR drums, I won't be going back to EZ drummer any time soon.

One more thing, I also use Toontrack's EZ player utility with AR drums. I couldn't live without this wonderful little program. Until the Kontakt Player update comes out with the EZ Drummer mapping (it's included with 70's drums but not yet with 60's drums), I am using the General Midi mapping in EZ player with AR 60's drums. It isn't perfect, but it works well enough.

My .02

GregJ