Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 10-04-2020, 10:49 AM

Default Mbox with PT 2018.4 Killer latency

Hello All,
Trying to record a vocal, and I swear a note could be sung, I could go get a cup of coffee, and when I get back, I'd hear the note play back. I've been away from recording for awhile, just being the hobbyist I am, and I don't remember this issue being so terrible before.
I've watched a video on the Mbox showing a way to bypass PT's control of the Mbox so your signal goes in and right out of the Mbox, but I also know that no effects on the input are heard while recording if you do that.. Might anyone have other thoughts about dealing with latency with the Mbox, PT2018 and the Icon Qcon-Pro X DAW? Sure appreciate it. I know the Mbox is getting a bit old now. I don't know why that would matter. I'd be interested in thoughts on other audio interfaces as well.. thanks so very much..
Old 10-04-2020, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Mbox with PT 2018.4 Killer latency

Set the buffer as low as it can go without your computer keeling over. If your latency is that high, it must be in the 1024/2048 territory. Either that or you’ve mistaken your MBox for a delay pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2020, 01:10 PM

And PT is the DAW! Icon Qcon Pro X is a controller and we use them too. Have 4 and they wirk great with Pro Tools. The Mboxes sre soo old now i am amazed they even start up.

There are a ocean of Interfaces to choose from and Focusrite and UA have great stuff for a good price. If you are a home studio setup a focusrite will be sufficient and will be day and night in sound quality from Mboxes

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-05-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichrdC View Post
Hello All,
Trying to record a vocal, and I swear a note could be sung, I could go get a cup of coffee, and when I get back, I'd hear the note play back. I've been away from recording for awhile, just being the hobbyist I am, and I don't remember this issue being so terrible before.
I've watched a video on the Mbox showing a way to bypass PT's control of the Mbox so your signal goes in and right out of the Mbox, but I also know that no effects on the input are heard while recording if you do that.. Might anyone have other thoughts about dealing with latency with the Mbox, PT2018 and the Icon Qcon-Pro X DAW? Sure appreciate it. I know the Mbox is getting a bit old now. I don't know why that would matter. I'd be interested in thoughts on other audio interfaces as well.. thanks so very much..
Since we can't tell how experienced or knowledgeable you are, here are some guidelines regarding latency:

Latency happens for several reasons, so here is a list:
1-Conversion latency(time to convert analog to digital and then back to analog). Different sample rates have differing amounts as can different brands of converters.

2-Playback Buffer setting. This is how much time you give the computer to process audio and then send it out to the converters(smaller buffer=lower latency).

3-Plugin latency. (show Delay Compensation with the View menu>Mix Window Shows menu). While many plugins operate with no latency(0 samples on the Delay Compensation readout), others can add dozens, hundreds or even thousands of samples worth of latency. Showing Delay Compensation will allow you to see when this happens and you will learn which plugins to leave out(or make inactive) while you are recording audio or midi. For me, a 64 buffer is fine for recording as long as I keep Delay Compensation down under 10 samples. If the numbers creep up near 100 samples, I start to hear it.

4-Bogus Delay Compensation(yes, it can happen). If you have a send to a buss, but it goes nowhere, it confuses the compensation process and will add almost 2000 samples of bogus latency to a track in record. If this isn't making sense yet, here's an example: Let's say you add a send to your vocal track to feed an AUX track with a delay plugin; then you change your mind and delete the AUX track. Now the send is going nowhere. Deleting the send solves the issue

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave