Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-01-2009, 05:51 PM

Default Stupidly Simple and frustrating question

I've looked in the manual and cannot seem to understand how to adjust INPUT VOLUME! So simple, I know, but nonetheless. It's ProTools HD 8. Please, someone, a simple answer? Thanks a lot.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Stupidly Simple and frustrating question

There is no input volume on an HD interface, other than the calibration trimmers. The A/D converters are line level inputs. Input volume is the analog Mic pre-amp's job. If you buy the Digidesign 8 channel pre-amp, you can control its gain from ProTools, but with most other pres you just need to adjust the input gain on the pre-amp manually. If you need further help you should probably post a listing of your gear and the signal chain you are using. . . sounds like you are just getting started, you should probably have a chat with your dealer, or look around the web for some block diagrams of complete systems. . .
Old 04-02-2009, 05:16 AM

Do you want volume control before recording? Like Howardk said, you can do that by adjusting the mic pre or on your analog console if you have one. PT can't adjust the audio until after the A/D conversion.

The way to have level adjustment in PT before recording is to set up an AUX track. Make it's input the input you are recording. Set it's output to a bus (I labeled it RECORD BUS on my system). Then set the record enabled AUDIO tracks input to the RECORD BUS. Any level changes you make to the aux track will be rendered in the recordings audio file. Also, any plug-ins you put on the AUX track will get recorded, any plug-ins on the AUDIO track will be monitor only.

Some folks set this up using sends to bus the recording rather than the outputs, setting up a virtual split console.

The downside to doing it the way I have it is that you don't get audio pass-through without setting the audio track to input monitor or record enable. As a split console you get independent control of input monitoring and recorded playback.

Hope that was what you were looking for.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, pulling down the AUX fader WILL NOT keep the converters from clipping. The aux fader is post A/D.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bontay View Post
I've looked in the manual and cannot seem to understand how to adjust INPUT VOLUME! So simple, I know, but nonetheless. It's ProTools HD 8. Please, someone, a simple answer? Thanks a lot.
You cant. Turn down the output of the source going into the interface.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:14 AM

Remember that pro tape decks do not have record level controls either (other than calibration trimpots, of course).