Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2006, 09:46 AM

Default Old School first time set up \"Newbie\"

Hello DUC!

I have a G4 450 OS 9.2.2 with the RAM to its limit and will be setting up the Digi 001 for the first time.

I used the computer for some basic use in PT Free and have about 4 sessions saved that I'd like to access with the new LE system. I also used this computer for some regular applications (Word, Limewire, IE, etc.) and am wondering what the best plan of action would be for this install.

I want to use this machine solely for recording and the 001. I have two internal drives for storage and am wondering what i should do to ensure the best performance.

I asked this question before and someone was gracious enough to explain some basic commands to configure the G4 for the PCI slots and those notes are no where to be found. I'm not concerned with any of the data (besides the PT Free sessions) on the drives.

Sorry for the foggy explanation...I am a newbie and I greatly appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks Everyone!

-Kevin
Old 09-22-2006, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Old School first time set up \"Newbie\"

What would I do?

You say you have two internal drives for storage; I assume that's two drives total? If so, I'd keep the current OS 9 install that you have on one drive. You can use it for all the other stuff. Use the other drive for a fresh install of OS 9 and PTLE. Take care to follow the instructions for configuring OS 9 for PTLE, such as starting with an OS 9 Base Extensions set, &c. The bane of OS 9 + PTLE for me was extensions conflicts. With just OS 9 and PTLE installed on one drive (or a partition thereof), make the other drive your media drive and keep your Session and Audio files there. There's no reason not to partition the drive you intend to dedicate to the PTLE application. If all you'll have on that partition is OS 9 and PTLE, then use the rest of it for a backup of your PTLE Session and Audio files. If you really are going to dedicate the whole machine to PTLE, then disregard the foregoing babble and just install the OS and PTLE on one drive, and use the other for Session and Audio files. Or something like that.......
Old 09-22-2006, 07:01 PM

If you don't have any other PCI cards then installing the 001 in the first slot should be fine.

You can run Panther/6.4 on that machine successfully with low track/plug counts. Just something to consider.

Keep your 9/5.1 extension set lean, and you should be able to get a full track count with a good amount of plugs. The less crap (read: M$) you have installed in your 9 system the more stable it will be.

Follow the setup guidelines in the getting started guide as to disk cache, fonts, etc. and you should be rockin'.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:40 PM

Thanks for the help everyone!
*Problem*
I can't find my disk to do the clean install of OS9...With the aforementioned uses this machine went through (IE, Limewire, MS Office) is their anything I could possibly screw up by installing PTLE with the machine "as is"? Should I just un-install everything and then proceed?

Thanks again DUC!!

Many Thanks
Old 09-23-2006, 08:37 AM

You can install PTLE on your current system. You'll need to create a new extension set for PTLE in the extension manager. Turn off all the M$ extensions, anything related to Limewire, etc. basically anything you don't need to run PT.

Extension tweaking is a fine art, and just part of life running OS9. When in doubt turn it off, and if the system needs it for something it will let you know. Once you get it dialed in you shouldn't have to mess with it again unless you install more software.

You may also want to check the startup items folder, and the launcher for anything that may cause trouble.