Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2003, 06:30 AM

Default Re: AMD Barton

Quote:
Originally posted by genebadd:
ohh damned, did it again, belay that last message, dont worry the computer is still doing good, just some bad gouge, check you system bios:
go to
PCI configuration
the go to PRIMARY VGA BIOS [PCI VGA BIOS CARD]
make sure it says [AGP VGA CARD].

That last post was screwed up around the time I was writing about this agp stuff. Sorry

gene
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks for the reply Gene. I'll check this out when I get home. I just got off the phone with Asus. The tech said to test my memory by going to memtest86.com. He also said to check my PSU amps rating. He said 22 min. and 24+ best. Depends what all is plugged into a 22 amp PSU I guess. Other than that, he said it could be a bad MOBO, RAM, or CPU... Bottomline...he had no more suggestions. Anyway...I'm going to try your suggestion first, than try Asus's suggestions and will LYK what happens. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:26 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jcoker:
[QB] [QUOTE]Originally posted by genebadd:
[qb] ohh damned, did it again, belay that last message, dont worry the computer is still doing good, just some bad gouge, check you system bios:
go to
PCI configuration
the go to PRIMARY VGA BIOS [PCI VGA BIOS CARD]
make sure it says [AGP VGA CARD].

That last post was screwed up around the time I was writing about this agp stuff. Sorry

Gene...you the man! I changed the above to AGP VGA CARD and the pc booted @ 2083GHz cpu speed (changed in the BIOS). However, Sandra still complains that the FSB speeds are too high for PCI, AGP, etc. So I don't know how long this speed will last. I did try the DaveC test and got 32 tracks. I probably could get more, but I gotta' get back to work [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] So the pc survived the DaveC test posted on the first page of the Allen pc thread. I tried the DaveC (v2?) test (seperate thread...with D-Verb) and got only around 12 tracks. Anyway, I hope this pc stays stable. I wish I knew why Sandra says the FSB speed is too high. Does Sandra still complain about that on your pc!? I guess I should still try the memory test. Anyway, I'll post to the DUC when I can test more thoroughly. Thanks again for your help!
Old 04-25-2003, 08:54 AM

jcoker, you know im not to sure if she is still complaining, Ill let ya know tonight when I get home. I didnt see anything that caught my attention last night so im not sure.

Gene
Old 04-26-2003, 10:31 AM

still complaing, I dont know why, im just gunna ignore it until something happens. Everything seems to be running fine except my cpu gets to hot when I turn the fan down. I guess I better get some better heat sink goo. the cpu speed is 2.08Ghz though. Does the job.
Old 04-26-2003, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by genebadd:
still complaing, I dont know why, im just gunna ignore it until something happens. Everything seems to be running fine except my cpu gets to hot when I turn the fan down. I guess I better get some better heat sink goo. the cpu speed is 2.08Ghz though. Does the job.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Same here...running fine @ 2.08GHz...so I'm going to ignore Sandra [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] My cpu runs hot too when I turn the fan down. Are you talking about the paste between your cpu and cpu fan? I put a small amount of that on when I put the Volcano fan on the cpu. It was the paste that came with the Volcano fan. I didn't know that a particular type of paste would disipate heat better than another. If it makes a significant difference I may go that route too. Thanks again for your reply. I can't believe that BIOS change to AGP VGA fixed my problems. But I'm glad you found it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Cheers!
Old 04-26-2003, 08:18 PM

jcoker, ya, im talking about that heat sink paste between the cpu and heatsink. I heard something about some "arctic silver thermal paste" which is supposed to help drop the cpu a good ten degree's or so. I guess the stuff that came with the volcano fan isnt doing to well with you either. Ill give that other stuff a try. That fan is loud like a tornado.
Gene