Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2008, 06:09 PM

Default 003 digirack

I am upgrading from an original Mbox to a 003 Digirack - hurray; am I going to encounter problems when installing the hardware? I hope not! (am starting to sweat this one) any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanx
Old 04-21-2008, 07:09 AM

Default Re: 003 digirack

Just have your protools install disc in the drive so when you turn your system on with the 003 attached, the computer can grab the drivers if needed. Even in the worst case, if you need to uninstall and reinstall, there is a utility called ptnuke that will completely remove all vestiges of protools. If you do go that route, all your sessions will be fine. Just follow the install instructions to the letter as spelled out in the Getting Started Guide.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-21-2008, 10:53 AM

I did that a few months ago & documented it in the DUC. Also - I found that -depending on what you are doing - you may need to restore the default settings for input / output / bus etc. - as the 003 rack is different from the Mbox. In my case, some recordings were almost done - so I didn't do anything. In others, I just reset them to the default setting (for an 003 rack)

here it is . . .

Loc: Wind Lake, WI Re: Help! - upgraded to 003 rack from mbox2 pro - Need Drivers [Re: sambeau]
#1248672 - 02/03/08 01:04 PM Edit Reply Quote

OK - here's the 'how to' upgrade from Mbox2 Pro to Rack 003 - when all you want to do is replace your hardware - - (in my case, my PT LE software was up to date & there was no other software offered in the Rack 003).

As Windows is all knowing I decided to let Microsoft give it a try. While my PC was shut down, I set up the 003 Rack - plugged in the power. I removed my Mbox2 firewire connection to the PC & replaced it with the 003 rack firewire chord. When I powered up my PC, windows gave me a message that said - found new hardware & asked if I'd like to let it search for drivers. I said - yes & pointed it to my 003 rack install CD. It gave a message similar to the one you get when you are doing an install from scratch - this hardware is not approved by Windows, do you want to continue - I answered - yes. It then gave me a message that the install was complete & the hardware was ready to use. So . . . I clicked on Pro Tools . . . & before it came all of the way up, it said something like . . . you are running a newer version of pro tools than is installed on your hardware (the new 003 rack), would you like to upgrade it? - - to which I answered yes. That took about 8 minutes or so & Pro Tools shut down all by itself at the end. I also noticed the lights on the 003 rack flickered a bit & my channel lights came on. I checked to see if Pro Tools was running anywhere on the PC & it wasn't - so, I started it up. It started up fine - - gave a message that my I/O was different (and it was - as I had a new 003 rack) & that was that. Everything works fine!!

We don't usually see 'everything works fine' here in the duc . . .

Also - in the PT LE 7.3 read me file that came with the rack - it states:
When Swapping LE Peripherals, Some Devices May Fail to Load Proper Drivers with the Found New Hardware Wizard
(Item #82574)
When switching LE peripherals the Found New Hardware Wizard will sometimes properly identify the device, but then fail to install the needed drivers. If this happens, with the new device connected, go to Add or Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel, choose Digidesign Pro Tools LE, select Change, and run a “Repair” install. The driver installation should complete with the Found New Hardware Wizard.

That would have probably worked also - basically letting Pro Tools handle it instead of Windows.

I just wanted to post/document this in case someone else had the same question.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:25 PM

Thanks Mates (Sambeau and albee1952) - BUT - remember I am coming from an original Mbox - not Mbox2. The Wizard DID NOT appear acknowledging 'found new hardware'. Apparently I have to uninstall my original Pro Tools and start from scratch - RATS. I am done for tonight and am heading straight for 'The Glenlivets' - tomorrow will be a new day and somehow I know one of you colleagues will throw me a life raft and help me install my new 003 Rack. (if not-I'll have to bug the over worked support technicians for help) RWA