Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 12-28-2018, 12:01 PM

Default FireWire 800 to Thunderbolt 3

New Protools First puzzler. I have a Glyph external HD with a FireWire 800 out. I have a new iMac that does not support this. It will only take a thunderbolt 3 in. Would someone mind pointing me to the adapter(s) I will need to hook the XHD up to my new iMac? Also looking for sources to purchase this. Guitar Center didn't have anything like this, as well as Sweetwater. Please let me know if I can supply more detail. Thanks!!
Old 12-28-2018, 12:04 PM

Default Re: FireWire 800 to Thunderbolt 3

Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

going into

Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter.

---

Or a Thunderbolt 3 dock like the one OWC sells with a Firewire 800 port on it (the 13 port model not the more recent 14 port one).

(this question has been answered on DUC before)

But.. before spending money on adapters...spinning disk is so last century. Do you have an SSD in that iMac? If this Firewire HDD is being used for audio/session you will be much better off running the sessions on the internal super-fast PCIe/NVMe SSD.

And if you really want an external drive lower-end USB-3.1 SSDs like the Samsung T5 will blow this HDD out the water, much faster, much more robust and reliable. Higher-end Thunderbolt 3/NVMe external SSDs like the Samsung X5 or Sonnet Fusion SSD are much faster again. Keep backups/archives on HDD, they are great for that.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-28-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:37 PM

Great, thank you! I've been out of the loop for a year or so after moving and an old IMac crash, which has led me to the new Imac with this Thunderbolt compatibility issue. I'm def not married to the Glyph, it's just that it has all my song files on it, and I'm desperately trying to access them. If you have any links to previous threads or to recording via the SSD card slot, I would be thrilled to explore it more. Please forgive my terminology, playing catch up on the new technology. Thanks again!
8 GB
Protools First/Scarlett 2i4
Old 12-28-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

But.. before spending money on adapters...spinning disk is so last century. Do you have an SSD in that iMac? If this Firewire HDD is being used for audio/session you will be much better off running the sessions on the internal super-fast PCIe/NVMe SSD.

And if you really want an external drive lower-end USB-3.1 SSDs like the Samsung T5 will blow this HDD out the water, much faster, much more robust and reliable. Higher-end Thunderbolt 3/NVMe external SSDs like the Samsung X5 or Sonnet Fusion SSD are much faster again. Keep backups/archives on HDD, they are great for that.
This ^^^

Don't waste your money on expensive cables.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 12-28-2018, 02:51 PM

For the cost of the adapters needed you can buy a 500GB Samsung Evo SSD drive which as Darryl said will be MUCH faster. The spinner drive you have now will cost you $100 or more to get working so I would use a friends computer for that drive and transfer the content to a new SSD drive like the Samsung EVO 500GB or bigger.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-28-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Blue Meanie View Post
Great, thank you! I've been out of the loop for a year or so after moving and an old IMac crash, which has led me to the new Imac with this Thunderbolt compatibility issue. I'm def not married to the Glyph, it's just that it has all my song files on it, and I'm desperately trying to access them. If you have any links to previous threads or to recording via the SSD card slot, I would be thrilled to explore it more. Please forgive my terminology, playing catch up on the new technology. Thanks again!
I did not say record to the "SSD card slot".. and you are confusing an internal SSD (solid state drive) with SD (secure digital... silly meaningless name) card slot. I asked if you had a SSD internal drive. What *exact* model/spec drive(s) go you have in the iMac. the System Report utility tells you all that (or look on the order for the Mac).

As Chris said, I would find another computer to use to transfer the content to your new iMac. And I hope that is not your only copy and you have multiple backups elsewhere, including on cloud storage and/or offsite.

If you can run off the internal SSD then your concern should be focused on having multiple backups, including full clones of the internal drive (Carbon Copy Cloner is likely the best tool) and possible separate archives of sessions, and for that you should be looking at external USB hard disk drives (not fast SSD).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-28-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:06 PM

Bzzzt hang on... you said Pro Tools *First* to use old existing sessions on an external drive.

... Pro Tools First does not read sessions, it only works with cloud projects. You need Pro Tools (standard) or Pro Tools Ultimate to work with sessions on disk.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-28-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Bzzzt hand on... you said Pro Tools *First* to use old existing sessions on an external drive.

... Pro Tools First does not read sessions, it only works with cloud projects. You need Pro Tools (standard) or Pro Tools Ultimate to work with sessions on disk.

He/she could have purchased the option to store projects locally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
He/she could have purchased the option to store projects locally.
And so *not* the way to go IMNSHO...
Old 12-29-2018, 02:50 AM

Quote:
And so *not* the way to go IMNSHO...

I agree, but not really the point I was making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk