Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2008, 08:50 PM

Default Dolby Surround/Pro Logic II future....?

So we're in the process of adding MAJOR Dolby hardware to our facility... to the tune of 4 each 570, 571, 572 and LM100. I've been back-n-forth with the validity of the 563 (Surround/Pro Logic encoder), especially with the new 'standard' for DTV being Dolby Digital. Since everything MUST be a digital delivery for distribution, is PLII a dead format? How are you all dealing with this? Phasing PLII out? Keeping it going as your 'PCM' mix?

Thanks guys!
Old 05-29-2008, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Dolby Surround/Pro Logic II future....?

Its a good question and I do not think there is a hard answer. For broadcast there will continue to be some lower cost productions that deliver only as stereo or LtRt. Do you expect to work for any of them? I've not seen a spec sheet that demands LtRt instead of stereo, so technically you can get by without encoding, but providing LtRt is probably better for everyone. I'm sure you know that LtRt can be included in a Dolby E stream without problems.

For the next many years people will hear your mixes through LtRt decoders, not ALL people but many people, so it makes sense to be able to use an encoder for better control of what they hear. For low budget cinema, LtRt will be around for the foreseeable future, or at least the next several years. I would consider keeping one or two encoders as "floaters", you've got one if and when you need it. But I agree with you that much of the time it will be turned off.

I do not use mine very much these days but make no mistake there are times I really need it and I am glade to have it next to me in a rack. Those times often come toward the end of a project, when specs or deliverables suddenly change. Being able to monitor through an LtRt matrix has been a grand convenience. In fact, for broadcast I always provide a proper LtRt instead of a stereo downmix even though stereo would satisfy the spec sheet.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:52 AM

Quote:
especially with the new 'standard' for DTV being Dolby Digital.

May be I misunderstood but are you saying that the new standard for digital tv is Dolby Digital encoded material as opposed to Dolby E encoding? I thought most broadcasters would only accept Dolby E as it is the standard for laying back to HD tape.

Thank you
Old 05-29-2008, 02:12 PM

I used the terms interchangeably... Dolby E meaning Dolby Digital. When it leaves the final broadcast facility to the consumer it IS converted to AC3, but 'E' up to that point. Sorry for the confusion.

Postman, I may go ahead and put one 563 back in the equipment quote. I would certainly encode the LtRt on chnls. 7/8 of the E stream in that case.

Thanks for the replies....