Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 06-19-2019, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Increase in PT performance going from 32GB RAM to 64?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Yep, the discussion was very specific to cheese graters.
Sorry, I failed to get this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
I didn't think pcie nvme ssd would work in the 5:1 cheese grater. I have to research this.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:19 AM

Ah! Disk cache! I recently got a used traschan with 64 gigs of RAM. I will create a 32Gig disk cache straight away! Thanks for the reminder/tip!
Old 06-19-2019, 09:21 AM

I'd like to clarify bootrom 140 is what introduced the (native) NVMe bootability for "cheese grater" Mac Pros, the 4,1 and 5,1

cMP's are on 144 now or at least that is my latest version with 10.14.5 installer. It is THE BOOT ROM that gave the 4,1 and 5,1 Mac Pros the NATIVE ability to boot with a NVMe SSD

There are different sector type NVMe drives, Sierra could only boot ones that are not very common (512 bytes) . While High Sierra introduced the more common sector type (4Kbytes) making that adaption much more easy and widespread

Prior to that specific bootrom release, yes, all cMP owners needed to use some "hacks" to get it to work

I have been using a 970evo on High Sierra for almost a year. I just recently upgraded to Mojave.

Looked this up and 140 bootrom was introduced with 10.14.1 DP3 so this aligns with my estimated timeline of when I purchases a 970EVO for this specific reason.

OSX 10.13.6 - Pro Tools 2018.12 - Presonus Studio 192 / Digi 003 Rack+
Focusrite Clarett OctoPre - AKG HPE6 - DBX160A - WA76
Old 06-19-2019, 10:05 AM

I have a trashcan, not a cheesegrater.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Then you have no problem with NVMe drives if you only use High Sierra or later. That is my experience with two different NVMe sticks.

I originally used OWC Aura Pro X 1TB stick (almost 1GB/sec) which has the Apple connector for easy install -- but have now lately switched to Simtech adapter and Intel 660p 2TB stick (about 1.2GB/sec).

No reason to buy anything faster, because trashcan is limited to PCI-e 2.0 (newer sticks are 3.0 and trashcan cannot benefit from the better transfer rates) so as long as anyone confirms that a 4TB or larger stick actually works with this "box" I'm considering this the best available.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Thanks Eric, Sorry for the confusion I thought you had a cheesegrater. Then not relevant to, as you already have a PCIe NVMe boot drive. But in terms of thinking about possible upgrades... if you still have say audio or samples on external HDD, then looking at moving those to a larger internal SSD (or thunderbolt SSD) may speed things up, also depending on the exact internal drive it may only be a 2 lane card, not 4 lane, so possible that upgrading that speeds up storage. But overall it's likely things like Pro Tools sessions startup times, maybe speed of backups etc. that you will see improved getting them onto fast SSD if they are not already.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I thought you had a cheesegrater. Then not relevant to, as you already have a fast 4xPCIe3 NVMe boot drive.
Umm.. yes trashcan has 4x but those are PCIe 2.0 which means the fastest sticks are waste of money. I should know, I'm using one. My system report says link width x4, link speed 5.0 GTs
Old 06-19-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Umm.. yes trashcan has 4x but those are PCIe 2.0 which means the fastest sticks are waste of money. I should know, I'm using one. My system report says link width x4, link speed 5.0 GTs
Ugh yes I was trying to edit that in real time I mean to say 2. Also could not remember the x2 and x4 lane storage size break point. But that is findable online. Sorry crappy internet connection. Some of the cards folks sell to these upgrades are PCIe 3 x 4... yes you won't see the difference, but the industry is really tooled up for that technology.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks Eric, Sorry for the confusion I thought you had a cheesegrater. Then not relevant to, as you already have a fast 4xPCIe2 NVMe boot drive. Way faster than other options. But in terms of thinking about possible upgrades... if you still have say audio or samples on external HDD, then looking at moving those to a larger internal SSD (or thunderbolt SSD) may speed things up, but it's things like Pro Tools sessions startup times, maybe speed of backups etc.
Well Eric was the op But , Actually you quoted arche3 who has a 5.1, in your reply about NVMe

And I would add it is my understanding that to go to Mojave on the 5.1 machines factory graphics card has to upgraded also

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208898

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 06-19-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Ugh yes I was trying to edit that in real time I mean to say 2. Also could not remember the x2 and x4 lane storage size break point. But that is findable online. Sorry crappy internet connection. Some of the cards folks sell to these upgrades are PCIe 3 x 4... yes you won't see the difference, but the industry is really tooled up for that technology.
No worries. I'm fairly sure the speed is 4x PCIe 2.0 but if you can help me I haven't found a definite answer what is the largest stick you can put in this box. Currently have 2TB working nicely but was wondering if I could later on swap to larger capacity -- because in real world the speed difference between less than a gig or a full gig or slightly more than a gig is close to zero, only thing that is really interesting would be capacity