Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-27-2018, 10:04 AM

Default Re: What do I need to monitor in Dolby Atmos with my setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
No, thats all wrong. Choose between doing MADI or Dante. In this drawing, you are using a Mac for Atmos Mastering with Dante. There would be no point to having MADI at all. Use MADI if you buy a PC based Atmos Mastering unit.

1. You won't need the 128ch Dante card, the current 64 ch card is enough, because the MTRX can only do 64 I/O from pro tools anyway. You will only be capable of 64 channels for Atmos.
I think you missed what he's doing.
He already has an Avid MADI box. He's using the MTRX as a format converter to make that an additional 64 channels going from MADI to Dante to his 64 channels coming from Pro Tools to the MTRX directly. That's why he needs the Dante 128 channel module.

It's a clever idea and will work.
(should mention that this MADI format conversion will impose an additional latency on those channels -- vs the direct from Pro Tools to MTRX channels -- but I think it is under 1ms and probably doesn't matter)
Old 09-27-2018, 10:31 AM

It'll work, but I think it seems like a waste of effort to convert from MADI to Dante. If you already have 64 MADI ch from the MTRX and 64 ch of MADI from an Avid MADI- why convert to Dante at all? Go straight to a PC version of the Renderer instead via MADI.

Both ways work. I did a quick tally, and they cost the same. Just my 2 cents.

(Although I still say having a hardware renderer doesn't make any sense for a school. They will never, ever have to create BWAV master files.)
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment

Last edited by lucienpalmer; 09-27-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
It'll work, but I think it seems like a waste of effort to convert from MADI to Dante. If you already have 64 MADI ch from the MTRX and 64 ch of MADI from an Avid MADI- why convert to Dante al all? Go straight to a PC version of the Renderer instead via MADI.

Both ways work. I did a quick tally, and they cost the same. Just my 2 cents.

(Although I still say having a hardware renderer doesn't make any sense for a school. They will never, ever have to create BWAV master files.)
I get your point mate, my train of thought with the RMU for me was to have full delay compensation support in protools because I thought delay compensation was not supported otherwise... however reading through the Dolby documentation again it seems that if you use the DSP AAX version of the Dolby plugs on the sends and return delay compensation is working... so yeah maybe this is a more practical and economic route with less drawback than I originally thought... What is really confusing me is that the AVID website says the Dolby production suite is AAX Native... and on the Dolby production suite manual it says if you have an HDX system you should use the DSP AAX plug ins.... So does the Dolby Production suite comes with DSP AAX or not?

Whilst the S6 is a nice bit of kit, this seems more like a waste of money to me at this point.. the only thing it will do over our D-control is give us an Atmos Surround Panner... I’d much rather invest in the ecosystem as a first step

Last edited by bsteeve; 09-27-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsteeve View Post
Whilst the S6 is a nice bit of kit, this seems more like a waste of money to me at this point.. the only thing it will do over our D-control is give us an Atmos Surround Panner... I’d much rather invest in the ecosystem as a first step
Your D-Control Panners Work Fine in Dolby Atmos.
Let me repeat once again:
YOUR ICON D-CONTROL PANNERS WORK FINE FOR DOLBY ATMOS!
I have mixed many films in Atmos with them. They are fine for now.
Sort out all your other issues first. The panner is the least of your worries!
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr sound View Post
Your D-Control Panners Work Fine in Dolby Atmos.
Let me repeat once again:
YOUR ICON D-CONTROL PANNERS WORK FINE FOR DOLBY ATMOS!
I have mixed many films in Atmos with them. They are fine for now.
Sort out all your other issues first. The panner is the least of your worries!
ah ah! well THANK YOU sir! This is actually the first time I get a clear answer about that... especially when all in caps :) and yeah the least of my worries right now. I'm keeping the D-Control, just trying to get the I/O, routing and monitor controller part sorted
Old 09-27-2018, 06:31 PM

Just one fact... I am using an RMU and I'm mixing Feature Films. I do not any experience on Atmos Mastering Suite for TV and Bluray.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:43 PM

I have been happy using the DAD MOM and PT Control with 2 DAD AX32. This has allowed me to keep working on a Icon D-Command.

My work is primarily in stereo but I have the ability to do up to 7.1 and although I am not using Dolby I do have a Trinnov Optimizer routed between the DADman outputs and the DA cards which might be similar.

Everything works seamlessly and it is quite easy to choose sources and route to different speakers.

I mostly use PT Control on a iPad when I want to select quickly from more sources or outputs than are assigned on the MOM, but both the MOM and to some extent PT Control are highly customizable. Another bonus of the iPad is the ability to see meters for the 32 AD inputs on one screen when tracking. I used the Eucontrol app to create custom buttons on the iPad for soloing channels and selecting different mixdown configurations, as well as adding a Mono and L<>R swap button. All of those actions can also be assigned to buttons on the MOM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0007 2018-09-28 20_25_08.jpg (70.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0008 2018-09-28 20_25_08.jpg (56.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0009 2018-09-28 20_25_06.jpg (55.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0010 2018-09-28 20_25_06.jpg (82.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-28-2018, 04:28 PM

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. This has been a bit of a learning curve for me as the process to upgrade to Atmos is not exactly crystal clear but I'm very thankful for all your insights and knowledge.

I'm now in talk directly with Dolby and it came to my attention that there might be the real possibility for us to consider the theatrical option as well.

Whilst some might think this is overkill for a school I very much believe in the opposite and I need to seriously consider all options and revisit the equipment list accordingly in consultation with Dolby, AVID and the Board.

I hope I'll be sharing some exciting news soon.. This will happen, just not sure which version of my dream is going to come true first...!
Old 09-28-2018, 11:30 PM

Andrew, thanks for chiming in on the discussion. I still remember when you sent me your monitor profile a while back and I just sat speechless for minutes thinking "holy cow". It was one of the biggest setups I have ever seen (and I have seen quite a few!). I am happy to hear it's all working fine.

I haven't had a chance to read all posts since my last post, but I will try to answer any outstanding questions within the next couple of days.

If any of you happen to be at the AES NY convention and would like a hands-on experience of DAD, MOM, PT Control and all the other stuff we do (including our new 128 ch. Dante card with SRC) then drop by booths 236/331 where I will be happy to show you what you can do with it.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:19 AM

Sorry to hijack this interesting thread a little, but I was interested in what Andrew said about having a Trinnov in his setup.

Andrew are you running a Trinnov looped on the AES in between the AX32 and the AX32 converters, or are you using the converters in the Trinnov?
If its the first option, do you feel the converters in the AX32 are better than Trinnov's?

I have a similar setup using a Trinnov MC and currently 2 8x8x8's.
I'm wondering if the MTRX would offer a more future proof route towards a 7.1.4 setup?