Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2010, 01:37 PM

Default Re: recording with plug ins on the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post

We're really all just self-loathing ignoramuses with superiority complexes.

Especially Key and Albee. Mostly useless, and undeserving of any credit at all.

...but at least they got fruit snax!

Yeahppp

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 05-10-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcarola View Post
Ok, I understand that today there are a lot of bad singers and probably a lot of bad engineers around so I don't want to discuss the issue about how others use the gear. I only know that in my experience a singer when sings into autotune in real time looses the control of the muscles that he or she should be aware of...
But maybe today many singers don't know about tecnique and intonation in the same way that many engineers are not able to reckon distortion or are not able to record at a correct level...
I was only sharing my experience as I think this forum should be dedicated to that...
But I have now a strong impression that many are here not to share but to "rompere le palle" (I'm sorry I'm italian and don't know all the intricacies of the english language).
Anyway we TDM guys are choosing it for a reason. At a certain point of one's career you start noticing things and after that it become a point of non return...
I just can't stand the quality of LE... That's it. And I hate spikes a lot more than money
And also I'm so lucky to work with singers that don't need autotune. I know. Very lucky.
All the best!
Just an opinion on the autotune thing... I really believe you can tell the difference between an autotuned poor vocal performance, and a touched up or enhanced vocal by a legitimate singer. Like I said just an opinion.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:07 PM

still not sure if i can get by with a TDM system or if I gotta break down and buy HD just to record with plug ins but ill just find a TDM studio with auto tune and book a couple hours that should be enough time to answer my questions... for the record i can sing with or without auto tune and so can the guy on the video... and those crappy recording techniques were bieng used by one of the best producers in jamaica... and im pretty sure are bieng used by the top producers in the US so excuse me for wanting to do cool stuff and be creative
Old 05-11-2010, 09:57 AM

Ok, you're excused...
Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6.0 - Monterey
MacBook M1Pro 10-16GB
Dangerous Music Summing - Focusrite Dante Rednet2 - Amek/Neve, Focusrite, TC Electronics, Mytek DA, Apogee ADDA
Old 05-17-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
And also I'm so lucky to work with singers that don't need autotune. I know. Very lucky.
All the best!
Max u might need a hearing lesson because those singers on your music page need more than autotune they need just about every plug in known to man... but hey if you think your "lucky" more power to you... cheers
Old 05-17-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd513 View Post
Max u might need a hearing lesson because those singers on your music page need more than autotune they need just about every plug in known to man... but hey if you think your "lucky" more power to you... cheers

OK guys, this was funny...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 05-20-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd513 View Post
Actually, that is not true.. and it is your hearing that needs scrutiny... BUT, Max, How can you take a Duke Ellington tune and have "by max" on it? ff
Old 05-21-2010, 02:31 AM

Ahm,

Nerd, what's wrong with Max' answer, and why do you aggressively attack him and his singers?

Tim

Quote:
I hope you'll like it:
I usually record the drum kit in the following manner:
I create 8 aux tracks with the 8 inputs from my microphones.
I apply Eq (usually Massenburg parametric plugin), Compression (La2a or 1176 plugin) and somentime delay (on the hiHat).
I Assign each track to a bus and after creating 8 audio tracks, I get the 8 busses into that and record... I have my latancy setting to 64 that is a bit more than a millisecond of latency (real, not plus other latencies coming from interfaces etc...). It's almost real time and far better than the sony 3348 high end digital open reel recorder (a bit more than 2 milliseconds). No drummer has ever complained about it (i'v also tryied at 256 with no problems)
The only real problem in TDM comes from plugins that incorporate some sort of "look ahead" like master buss compressors or mastering very short attack limiters like L1 etc... In that case there is a sensible delay in the signal to allow for the "prediction" of the shape of the incoming wave so that the compression can be optimized in "real time"

The reason for TDM to be so fast is that it uses an internal Bus that connects the cards and goes 512 times the chosen sample rate (that fas yeah!) So as far as you will know there are instant processes (it happens between two single samples and for you that time is simply not existend... just like being in another dimension ;-)) That gives you the option of use the processing power of many DSPs of the pCIe cards like a single processor...

I've been using a mix system for a long time with exactly the same options.
Today it's cheap to get one but you're stuck to the 6.4. But if you plan to use it just for recording will be fine. Anyway a singin' lesson might be cheaper... It's quite difficult to sing into Autotune in my experience since it destroyes the human feedback and control of the muscles leading to unpredictable results... but "de gustibus non disputandum est"

Good luck for all...

And spend more time in listening...
Old 05-21-2010, 06:38 AM

Max definitely made good points in his post so I must agree; but the Nerd's post was funny

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 05-21-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Max definitely made good points in his post so I must agree; but the Nerd's post was funny
Really all of his posts are pretty funny

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?