Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2008, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Mouse or Trackball? ---Vote now!

Good thread.

Mouse

Occasionally I'll search to find what others are using. I currently have my keyboard and mouse (with pad, of course) on my console. I don't like it. The keyboard is fine there, but the mouse/pad thing is a little awkward. I find trackballs to not track as quickly ...or more specifically, as precisely as a mouse. Consequently, even more awkward.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good mousepad for someone mousing around on a console?

Odd question, I know.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:35 PM

Pen on a Wacom Tablet (Graphire 3). Used PEN ONLY for 5 years - the mouse isn't even present at my desk....just in the cupboard wintertime...
Old 04-09-2008, 07:43 AM

Apple mighty mouse for me. It's great to adjust any parameter on any URS plugins! Never tried trackball...

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 04-09-2008, 10:46 AM

Kensington Expert Mouse (trackball)

I used a mouse for a couple of years, then the guy who subs for me when I'm on vacation got this and I was sold by the scrolling ring around the ball. I'll admit it took me a while (a week? two weeks?) to get used to it completely, but now I don't notice a difference, and I don't notice changing back to a mouse when I use my home computer either. I think it's like being bilingual...

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto

Rig 1: 2.8GHz Macbook Pro PT 12.7.1 Logic 10.3.2 Scarlett 18i20
Rig 2: 2.66 QuadCore Intel Xeon Logic 10.2.0 Scarlett 18i20 PTHD10.3.10
Old 04-09-2008, 11:25 AM

Kensington Turbo Mouse Pro
PT 7.4cs3 HD
OS 10.4.9

All those extra buttons across the top are perfect for programming via quickeys.

There is no substitute.

2022 Mac Studio Max 64GB / 1TB, macOSX 13.6.6, 2019 i9 MacBook Pro (15,3), macOSX 14.4.1, PT Ulti 2024.3.0, DAR 5.1, MDA Creator1.5, Rx10 Advanced, Ozone 10 Advanced, Kontakt 7, Soundminer v6.1Pro, Spanner 4, PaulXStretch,
EuControl 2023.11.0, Avid Control 2023.11.0, Avid S1, iPad Pros 12.9" gen 3 & gen 4, Apollo 8 Duo, UAD-2 Satellite Quad, Glyph 2TB tb3 NVMe SSD, x2 Glyph 2TB SSDs, x1 Glyph 4TB SSD, OWC tb3 Dock, OWC Thunderbay 8 62TB
Old 04-09-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Trackball! Mouse is too 80's
Trackball is too 70's. Some arcade video games used them.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Trackball! Mouse is too 80's
Trackball is too 70's. Some arcade video games used them.
I'll take a stinky polyester silk shirt over a mullet any day.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
why clutter the DUC with idiotic posts?
I don't know. Why?
Yowch. Tell me how you really feel next time. Sorry to interrupt your busy reading day, but thanks for taking the time to click 'reply' anyway! (shaking head)

Ok, moving on. Back to the poll!
THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSES TO THOSE THAT CARED TO TAKE PART.

All in the quest to maximize ergonomics/work style, minimize time.
(thus, not thinking it was an idiotic thread)

But aw geez, that's just me. Keeping things "to business now".

...as you were!
Old 04-09-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:

I do remember one time hooking up both and really liking the combination, FWIW.
Desktop real estate has become rather valuable though and having to choose only one, I would go for a mouse... or just say to hell with it and get an icon
I also tried hooking up both. Worked for a bit but then I got 'too used to it', a pain when you switch rooms, etc. And, yes, I've toyed with the idea of a control surface, but... other than the $ factor, been years since I've touched faders. Can't say I miss 'em.

Oh. Ok. Yes, I do.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
NIce Thread,

Both trackballs and Mice seem to both be the correct choice - judging from the various opinions here.

From someone using a trackball I'd like to know:

1) How long did it take you to adjust - honestly
2) When you wanna select a region - can you hit it with precision every time like with a mouse - or do you overshoot lots.?

The reason I am asking is because I actually like the concept of a trackball better than that of a mouse. I never tried it for long but if you were to say like : "Well, the adaption took a week to accomplish" Then I'D be prone to give it a shot.

Thanks for any replies and this cool thread
THANK YOU for the support, first of all. I, too, thought it was an 'idea' for a thread. Perhaps more in 'tips and tricks' but whatever...

1) I was pretty much forced into looking for an alternate input method in 1998 when I began full-time work in a dedicated ADR room with multiple monitors and an actual DESK (console) opposed to a desk-desk (work desk). Got tired of the mouse pad slipping on the faders, etc. So I got a trackball, plopped it above some faders, and voila. Never looked back. Geez, I think I was 'used to it' (and loving it, physically --no more carpal tunnel symptoms for ME, anyway--, and work-flow-wise) in a couple days.

2) I think this touches, again, on comfort-level of the user. I have pretty good control over where I'm 'at' on my screen and have no issues. And, I'd also like to wager, can operate 'faster' than a mouser. Of course, this could be debated. Mouse speed, screen size, size of mouse area on the desk, etc. End result: faster isn't better. Same thing: do you prefer pull-down menus or key commands. Different work flow, same end result. I just think I'm way more efficient with my trackball (and again, you can't NOT love the extra buttons. My hand gets lots of exercise because I have a bunch of F-key tools assigned, as well as combinations, the scroll wheel/button, etc.). And efficiency gets me home sooner.