How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2017, 11:31 AM

Default Ritardando Between Fixed Points

Hello!

Sorry if this is listed elsewhere, but I haven't seen anything that addresses this particular issue. Using ProTools 12 on a PC with Windows 8

So I'm making a track that will be set to video, so there are certain points in the music that have to line up with a certain time mark, so I have markers for those. What I want to do is have a ritard between those marks without changing the number of bars in between them.

The reason this feels like it should be possible is that currently, to make those bars fit between the two markers using ctrl+I, ProTools calculates the necessary tempo as around qtr = 100, but the previous tempo was around qtr = 200, so rather than drop the entire section down, it feels like it should fit if I do it more gradually, though actually now that I think of it, there would be extra space, since a faster tempo means a shorter measure. But then it could perhaps compensate by making the later measures even slower/longer to fill the space?

Is such a thing possible, or will I have to try to approximate with tiered tempo changes?

Sorry for the rambling post, I'm very new to the program and this is my first project, so I'm not really used to thinking this way. Thank you for any advice/help anyone might have to offer.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Ritardando Between Fixed Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriias View Post
Hello!

Sorry if this is listed elsewhere, but I haven't seen anything that addresses this particular issue. Using ProTools 12 on a PC with Windows 8

So I'm making a track that will be set to video, so there are certain points in the music that have to line up with a certain time mark, so I have markers for those. What I want to do is have a ritard between those marks without changing the number of bars in between them.

The reason this feels like it should be possible is that currently, to make those bars fit between the two markers using ctrl+I, ProTools calculates the necessary tempo as around qtr = 100, but the previous tempo was around qtr = 200, so rather than drop the entire section down, it feels like it should fit if I do it more gradually, though actually now that I think of it, there would be extra space, since a faster tempo means a shorter measure. But then it could perhaps compensate by making the later measures even slower/longer to fill the space?

Is such a thing possible, or will I have to try to approximate with tiered tempo changes?

Sorry for the rambling post, I'm very new to the program and this is my first project, so I'm not really used to thinking this way. Thank you for any advice/help anyone might have to offer.
It's quite drastic, 200 and 100 BPM, but as far as I know, gradated tempo changes would be the best way to achieve what you want. Of course it depends on the video, but I would start slowing it a little before getting to the very slow bit, so as not to have a sudden drop (unless of course that is what is needed), and also pick up speed gradually to fill up any extra space.