Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 05-23-2019, 03:32 PM

Default I'd like Compressor and Limiter back

I just moved from PT 10.3.7 to 11.3 on an 003R

My old friends compressor and limiter didn't make the trip. Where are they and can I add them to a folder so they will be operable in PT 11.3?

Thanks,

Ty
Old 05-23-2019, 03:50 PM

Default Re: I'd like Compressor and Limiter back

More info needed.

PT10 was supporting the old RTAS plugin format but PT11 is AAX only, so whatever RTAS plugins you might have had installed will never work on PT11 and later
Old 05-23-2019, 03:57 PM

Rats! So, suck it up and break in a new one?
Old 05-23-2019, 03:58 PM

Pro Compressor and Pro Limiter are available in AAX-64.

The Classic Compressor Bundle is available in AAX-64.

What exact plugins are you missing? If not included in base Pro Tools but you are eligible/licensed for them did you download and install them separately?

The Pro Tools complete plugin bundle subscription is pretty good value @ ~$50/year.

I assume you have systems compatibility issues, otherwise I’d really have skipped Pro Tools 11 and 12 and moved to 2019.5.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:09 PM

Apart for what everything said i can say that i understand the romance ..really , i do It happened to me long time ago too.

But there is no reason to fall behind because of this . Just try the new versions available they are as good as , if not better .
Old 05-23-2019, 05:31 PM

Did you install the plugin bundle from your avid account for PT11 and if not then you wont see the plugins.

I dont know any plugins from Avid that didn’t make the transitoon from PT10 to PT11 so you need to install the Air plugins and the Air effects and the plugins separate as they aren’t inside the installation of PT11.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-23-2019, 05:50 PM

Darryl,

I'm a working pro, so I need something that's solid.

I have an older Mac. 2010 Two 2.4Ghz Quad Cores. It a MacPro 5,1, with 32GB RAM. I have a Digi 003R as an interface, but am using a RME ADI-8 DS as an A/D converter and coming into the 003R via lightpipe.

The 003R is probably my biggest deterrent from advancing, but everything works! You know how that is. I wanted to bump to 11.3 which I thought I could do fairly safely and am struggling a bit on the upgrade path.

I have some really nice plugins from WaveArts. Their PowerSuite 5. I think I need to upgrade them. Working on that now and tomorrow. You know how it is...

Thanks Darryl and jeam,

Ty
Old 05-23-2019, 05:52 PM

Southside, no I did not. Thanks for that tip.

Ty
Old 05-23-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Darryl,

I'm a working pro, so I need something that's solid.

I have an older Mac. 2010 Two 2.4Ghz Quad Cores. It a MacPro 5,1, with 32GB RAM. I have a Digi 003R as an interface, but am using a RME ADI-8 DS as an A/D converter and coming into the 003R via lightpipe.

The 003R is probably my biggest deterrent from advancing, but everything works! You know how that is. I wanted to bump to 11.3 which I thought I could do fairly safely and am struggling a bit on the upgrade path.

I have some really nice plugins from WaveArts. Their PowerSuite 5. I think I need to upgrade them. Working on that now and tomorrow. You know how it is...

Thanks Darryl and jeam,

Ty
That’s all cool man. I just wanted to make sure you are aware of the nice complete plugin bundle and of the very impressive Pro Tools 2019.5 release.

The older Mac Pro can be an issue on macOS upgrade paths, there are some very good discussions going on about that Mac Pro upgrades on DUC now. But please realize that Pro Tools 11, 12, 2018 suffered from serious problems with AAX plugin processing and multithreaded scaling, lots of AAE-6106 and other CPU related errors. That has finally seems to be been largely addressed in 2019.5. For many users 2019.5 is already showing it’s a fantastic release. It’s such a great improvement that I would recommend folks move directly to it vs. 11, 12, or 2018. The timing here may have been bad for you starting a move to Pro Tools 11 before 2019.5 was released.

2019.5 will run on Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave, with what seems like at the moment anecdotally at least no really significant performance difference between those macOS versions. And say unlike El Capitan, none of those macOS releases were seen as highly problematic themselves, I would be looking at what is the latest macOS version I can run on that MacPro... yes there are detailed issues there still to worry about. Like GPU compatibility and metal for Mojave but you don’t need to be on Mojave. EDIT: and maybe I’m missing something (I am not following Mac Pro Cheesegraters closely, but I thought your computer can support up to High Sierra, with only the GPU/Metal issue for Mojave).

2019.5 has the same broad AAX-64 plugin requirements as Pro Tools 11 (always more devil in the details of exact/tested compatibility.. but you will likely be better off on 2018.5 as plugin developers are working at/testing with that leading edge now).

The 003 driver compatibility is largely separate from 2019.5 support. I believe they are running OK on on everything up to Mojave. I’ve helped folks get going there with the 003, the Mojave security/privacy “mic permissions” is an easy thing to miss.

If you have work to do and stuff is running OK right now then I’d not mess with it, but I’d be thinking about getting a new clean recent macOS install on a spare partition and trying out 2019.5 on it. The first CPU glitch you get it may not be worth too much time troubleshooting and instead just trying out that 2019.5 install.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-23-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:57 PM

Is there a link you know of for downloading the effects plugins that come with 11? I see a page, but it looks like a sales page, not a free download page.

Thanks,

Ty