Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2003, 01:51 PM

Default Deleting unused audio regions: problem.

i've got LE.
after i've finished chopping up my tracks and consolidating sections and whatnot, i often go to the right playlist, select unused audio, and delete. but in the last month, it only deletes the unwanted sections from my playlist and not from my audio folders. when i look in the audio folders, the little unused and unwanted pieces of audio are still there. so i end up having hundreds of little chops i don't want. and if i want to get rid of them, i have to sort through all of it. i must of clicked a setting or something. i've been using pro tools for a few years, and haven't had this problem until recently. help!
Old 12-30-2003, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Deleting unused audio regions: problem.

Go to the audio regions list on the right hand side of the edit window. At the top of the list select audio. In the pull down window choose: select, then unused regions. Then go back to the audio menu and choose: clear selected.

Then the next very important thing is in the dialog box choose either "REMOVE" which deletes them from the session and not the hardrive. OR "DELETE" Which erases them from the hardrive and session forever. What I do is I choose remove from session then do a save session copy in. This will only save the files that are in the session to the new destination. It also helps in case you screw up and accidently delete something from the hardrive.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:07 PM

Also,

if you saved your session "as" another name before, it won't let you delete it, only remove.

If you don't need them, delete any of the actual session saved under different names, then you'll be able to delete from hard disk from within the actual session. Otherwise you'll have to do it manually which can be dangerous to delete stuff in use.

PTLE 5.1.1 Digi001 MacOS9.2.2 Yikes!400MHz
Old 12-30-2003, 07:00 PM

yes, that's what i've been doing for three years, and i've not had trouble with it until a month ago. but now, i select 'delete' and they disappear in my audio regions list, but in the audio folder itself the unused parts remain, even though the 'audio regions list' gives every indication that they're "completely gone forever."
Old 12-30-2003, 07:12 PM

so, benlef, if i've been recording a song called "new folder," and after two weeks of work i rename the song "untitled," then when i perform my delete method it will no longer actually delete from the audio folder because it's no longer called "new folder"? i hope that's not right. i should be able to change the session name, and not lose the ability to delete unwanted audio. and i generally only keep one session name per session.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:17 PM

In my case I used to save different mixes under different names causing the regions to be used by different sessions. If I get rid of some regions in one session it will only allow me to remove it from the session. Once I get to the final mix, I get rid of all the older sessions, then open the final one and get rid of the unused regions.

It's not a question of renaming the session, it's about having more than one session using the same regions.

Hope this makes it a little clearer. But it looks like it has nothing to do with your problem.

Ben

PTLE 5.1.1 Digi001 MacOS9.2.2 Yikes!400MHz
Old 01-06-2004, 04:18 PM

try just removing unwanted audio files from your session lets call it (ex.sesion-1) then go to file choose save-session-copy and make sure the enforce mac/pc box is checked also the copy audio files box is checked
rename session lets call it (ex.session-2)once completed close session
find and open (ex.sesion-2) to make sure it loads up
if all audio files needed are there and the session opens
completly delete (ex.session-1)
this is what i do to save space
hope this helps