Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2000, 08:14 AM

Default CD Burning Oddities!

I have been feeling uneasy lately that when I burn CD's they don't play in every single player I check it in. At the studio we have many CD players. A whold bunch of Denon ones in particular. In some of the Players...I load the CD and it almost instantly displays the TOC. In others the CD will search aimlessly forever and never find the TOC and then subsequently...not play.
I am using Jam and burning at 4X speed using a Yamaha burner mechanism [6416 S]. I use TDK CDR certified plus cd's. I send many CD's out to clients and never have a problem but one client in particular lately never can playback any CD's I send to him. I have tried both burners I own which are on two different computers. I have tried burning at 2X and 6X but it doesn;t seem to make a difference.
Then recently I tried playing a CD in a friends brand new Lexus RX300. The CD wouldn't even be found by the 6 disc changer [in an expensive..brand new car]...it just skipped over it. I have been talking to studio techs here in NYC and other people have been having similar experiences...in that CDR's fail you only every once in a while. But what if you send a CD to somebody who you don't have a chance to screw up with. Some people have said that the stand alone untis like the Purple one from HHB have never let them down. Are the burners we are connecting to our computers semi-pro then?
Any light anybody can shed on this would be great. Incidentally the TDK's I use are bluish green on the recording side. I thought I could fix my problem by getting platinum or gold but then some very well payed studio techs have told me that is just marketing ploys on the part of the manufacturers.
Thanks.
Old 08-21-2000, 03:37 PM

Default Re: CD Burning Oddities!

hey whatever the techs say, some cds work some don't.

i have been using TDK (blue dye) in a Yamaha-Burner and have encounterd exactly the problems u discribed.

in the moment i use KODAK(silver/aluminium)CD's and so far have not have any troubles
Old 08-21-2000, 04:08 PM

ONE MORE TESTIMONIAL:

I've used TAIYO-YUDENS for years... never had a disc refuse to play using a perty good range of pro non-pro cd-players.

--- victor

------------------
OnLy ExAgGeRaTiOnS aRe
TrUe,
victor
Old 08-21-2000, 04:47 PM

I just purchased a Tascam CD Burner Pro
(TEAC 8x24 CD-R58S) and had the same problem with the supplied TEAC CD-R's included in the box. (using JAM)

Worked on a cd-rom, worked in two different boom boxes, worked in my car, DIDN'T work in my DVD/CD player!?!?

Tried burning a 2nd one (same Teac CD-R disc) and had the same problem....worked in all but DVD/CD player.

The drive is digi "recommended", but I have not tried other brand/quality CD-R discs.

I'll try others to see if it's the CD player or the discs and let you know.
Old 08-21-2000, 09:59 PM

You gotta try different brands of Media til you find a good one.

I bought a denon pro CD player which is very picky. Believe it or not the cheaper ones seem to work better.

I'm using fuji's and Comp USA brand.

I had problems with TDK's and other known brands.

Good Luck
Old 08-21-2000, 11:03 PM

I suggest you read the CD Rom FAQ. http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Technology/CD-R/FAQ.html
The conclusion you will eventually come to is that you have to find the media and burn speed that works best for your burner. The reason (as I have read) homemade CD's don't always work is that they don't have the same level of reflectivity as the ones done by the manufacturing plants. The plants don't use burners so they can use a different material which is acceptable to all CD players.
Old 08-23-2000, 12:48 AM

Much of has to do with the eye on the CD player. Many older units have trouble reading any form of CDR media (my old first generation Technics CD player was notorious for refusing to play my CDR's.) Now, most of the new DVD players won't see the CDR's either (a different kind of reading laser from what I'm told.) So, sometimes it just won't work no matter what you do.

gtrboy