Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-1999, 08:08 AM

Default CD burner from hell!

Nothing like the CD burner from hell! I’ve been using a Yamaha CRW4260 with MLCD and Toast. I’ve had the burner replaced 3 times this past year (thankfully under warranty). I’ve only done a couple of hundred burns on this thing. And it hasn’t been abused. Aren’t these burners supposed to last longer that this?

Anyway, it’s not working again and is going in the trash (warranty has expired). What burners can you folks suggest? Please, only recommend CD burners that are currently in production (discontinued models are no good if they are not available). What should I buy?

Thanks,

JAV
Old 11-28-1999, 08:59 AM

Default Re: CD burner from hell!

I have 3 4x Yamaha's and 2 Plextor 8x drives, and I have had to send one Yamaha back for repair once.

But the Plextor 8x series burners are great, I would not hesitate to buy another one!

Old 11-28-1999, 11:37 AM

ppine,

Do you use all those burners at once? Or just one at a time. I guess what I am asking is are you able to use one as the master, and burn to a group of cd writers at once?
Old 11-28-1999, 01:34 PM

I have two Phillips drives that have not performed very well. My Omniwriter CD-RW Drive has really sucked. It sucessfully burns about 1 out of five. My 2600 works most of the time except with Toast it won't allow me to burn anything but 2 seconds between songs. If anyone knows why, please let me know.

Thanks
Old 11-28-1999, 01:36 PM

No, I use them on different systems. I don't think there is a way to make them do that without a special hardware controller of some sort, like the stuff from Microboards, etc.
Old 11-29-1999, 10:36 AM

I have the Yamaha 4416 CDRW. After about 20 burns it crashed my system. Then it started working again. This morning it hung on a read. These units are junk.
We have anohter PT Mix+ with a Glyph/Plextor that works great.
Old 11-30-1999, 09:27 AM

bluemt,

Toast is limited to a minimum of 2 seconds between songs regardless of the brand of burner. If you want to put them closer you need to get MLCD, Jam, or the new Wave Burner. Wave Burner looks very good and is cheaper that the other two, but haven't tried it.

david
Old 11-30-1999, 06:50 PM

David

Thanks for the information. There's a dialog box in Toast that allows you to select increments of .5 seconds between songs - at least that's how I understand it to work. However, it doen't work for me and the error message blames the hardware. I'm confused and wonder if I need a new burner or not.
Old 12-31-2001, 01:25 PM

I have a Yamaha CRW-88245. It's worked fine for a year, and now lots of my CD's are coming out with a clicking noise, almost like a helicopter sound effect. I think it's the burner, but I'm not sure. Anyone have the same problem? I'm using Toast.
Thanks.
Old 12-31-2001, 02:16 PM

I've had an old 2x Yamaha CDR for 5+ years with no problems.
12 months ago, my friend and I both bought the newer (at the time) 8824 Yamaha cdr's. they both broke with the same problem after about 100 burns or so. they were both repaired under warranty, but once your unit is out of warranty, Yamaha DOES NOT REPAIR THEM ANYMORE.
I don't know if other cdr companies do the same, but I thought it was a cheap tactic for repeat business.
I just bought and EZQuest Firewire CDRW... 16x.. works beatifully with both Toast and Jam.... of course not with MLCD, since its not scsi.

Plextor's seem very reliable as well.