Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2006, 07:29 AM

Default live mix

here's a mix of a live recording I recently did. Live signals were split @FOH & tracked with a Mackie SDR 2496.

fwtbt_150106_3.mp3

It's a rather quick mix & I'm still a novice, so I'm sure you'll find something to comment on
(other than the kick being too loud , or the strange lyrics)

thanks,
Andi
Old 01-15-2006, 08:29 AM

Default Re: live mix

Andi:

Very strange indeed. 2 minutes intro and then totally different song. But I like it.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Vision?

Dave: Didn't know that was your handy work when I got the e-mail man! lol Thanks for the remix man, I appreciate it and glad it is an inspiration.

Rick: Thanks for the words of wisdom also, yeah I've thought about heading into a career as a writer, but have been through enough label work outside of this that I haven't gotten around to it just yet. I know I am not much of a vocalist. I am actually just doing these for demo purposes at the moment to gain feedback on my best works and have a couple of session vocalists lined up for the long term to work on a project. As for Radio Format, I believe you would dig tracks 55, 58, 65, 68, 75, and 78. If you only check out 3, I would suggest 65, 68, and 78 as some of my highlights. 78 is not "radio ready" but I would consider it some of my best as far as writing/arrangement goes.

just a side note guys, the lower the number in the list on there the older the song... Some of those old ones I wrote ages ago when I was around 14 years old... lol

well, thanks again for the words of wisdom guys, I appreciate the honest opinions. peace
Old 01-17-2006, 12:45 AM

Charlie, I can send you a stereo left right of the mix so you can overlay your guitar vocals over the beat and add flow to the song. Then send me your bounced vocal and guitar tracks and I'll make the final mix down for you. I've changed it a bit since the last hour. Let me know...

--davec
StudioFX Multimedia
SpellWell Software
Old 01-17-2006, 02:20 AM

Here's another... does it show I'm having fun

BTW this is straight from Charlie's MP3 on his web site. So excuse the mastering imperfections.

Life Is So Short

the new one is here still in development.

Life Is So Short

--davec
StudioFX Multimedia
SpellWell Software
Old 01-17-2006, 11:58 AM

Yo Dave, check your e-mail man.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:25 PM

Default Does anyone agree with this statement?!?

I think that a lot of amatuer engineers like to suck the mid out of just about everything. I'm guilty of this too (I'm getting better), and I realized what might be the problem. I think that people are EQ'ing when a track is solo'd. This is a very dangerous thing to do. I basically force myself to do most (if not all) of my EQ'ing when the whole mix is playing. There are so many factors going into the changing of a sound when its played in the whole mix like phase cancellations, frequency responses with one another, etc... So what sounds awesome when in solo, sounds like crap in the mix. I won't go on considering I know we have heard this all before.

What I'm trying to say is that I think with some mid to upper mid pushing, some mixes on this thread would be not only clearer, but way more defined.

Again I'm not putting myself on a pedistal because I am just as much an amatuer as anyone here (afterall I am only 17 years old...). I really have a tendency to EQ (which an amatuer terms means suck the mids!) when a track is in solo, but this is just something I've been noticing and trying to help myself!
Old 01-18-2006, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Does anyone agree with this statement?!?

Jsswtpmp182: Welcome to the boards, over the years I have seen and run across this on countless occasions. As a guitarist by trade (even though I play other instruments), I used to be quite guilty of scooping out all the mids on my rig when I would play in groups just to attempt to get that fat tone that I heard when I was playing on my practice rig. However, when you mix a group and you get the highs of the drum cymbals, and bass guitar in the mix, your guitar simply turns to fuzz which can work for some tunes, but not everything.

The real secret that I learned over a long time from hanging out around people that blow circles around me as far as engineering skills and music wise is to learn what situations merit certain types of EQ. Notch filtering is a big one when it comes to mixing and mastering that I think a lot of folks, including myself are still baffled on a little. Only time, practice, and lots of encouragement from friends and peers is the secret to a good mix imho.

The biggest trick in recording otherwise, is that there are no rules... only what sounds good to the ears, and you have to really know what target audience you are mixing for when you think about it also... for example someone that digs a metal band isn't really going to care for country, and a techno artist might hate folk..etc.. bottom line... just have fun with it!
Old 01-18-2006, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Does anyone agree with this statement?!?

Another point in the mastering process above everything that have said about the process, one must never forget that going from your PT to say a PC, car stereo, and home sound system there is reamplification and a signal processing which goes on. So basically in the mastering process it is as important for the masterers to receive the engineered tracks as flat as possible, but also the mastering process must bring all frequencies out in a balanced power (gain) such that when hearing things through other amplified sources, the signals are balanced. Once this is achieved you will have good sound on any source as well as at any power level, low or loud.

My 0.02 cents...

--davec
StudioFX Multimedia
SpellWell Software
Old 01-19-2006, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Mac Mixes!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Wow... it's been almost 2 years since I've posted anything under this topic... I'm starting a studio and I'm going to try to start making some extra cash with it. I bought all my stuff a couple years ago mainly for hobby and personal use but I've been recording some stuff for some local people and they are all loving it. I'm trying to decide how much charge... a band I worked with this week had done a previous demo at a studio that charged $70 per hour and it turned out like junk... I'm getting some pretty fat tones and I just want to know what to charge...

GIVE ME YOUR UN-RESTRAINED OPION of everything regarding this music...

As for the music...

The songs "Cry" and "Don't Go" are by the same band wich is like a screamo/post hardcore kinda group... On the two songs, we spent 12 hours total.

"King Arthur..." is a song by a local Metalcore band so if that will make your ears bleed, don't listen to it... Just for reference, we spent 8 hours on this song...

December 14 clips are live which would be an example of the "$199" 3 song demo I'm promoting... We spent 30 minutes tracking and 2 hours mixing...

I'm wanting to charge $30 and hour and I've got people already knocking my door down for that so I just wanted to see if that's fair...

Sorry for the huge post... here is the link:

http://www.purevolume.com/corbanartist

Please also take into account the awful Purevolume bit rate...

Alright, I'm done...

Rip me apart:
Shawn Ames
Corban Artist

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Stuff: AMD Athlon 1800, 1.5 gb ddr ram, 1 WD 80 gig hard drive, 1 100 gig hard drive, Digi 001 Protools LE 6.4, Behringer ADA, tons of mics and junk... If you care I'll tell you later, just ask.
Not bad,
the Metal core band spent $240.00 for the (clicky kick ) one tune and the other band got 3 for $199? Hope the Metal core band doesn't catch wind of that !!! Ha hahaha....
The """""screamo/post hardcore kinda group """" band has a bigger sound.

Ohhhh, I can't wait to start recording full bands again