Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2019, 02:45 PM

Default replacing takes fast? /swap mode?

hey,

I'm fairly new to PT, and I wonder if there is already a feature which lets you just scroll through the clips list (left side) and replace a currently selected clip with it. reason being, I recorded many cycles of a loop, and I would like to quickly select the best take, currently I am selecting each take (clip) and drag it over to the arrangement to listen to it, is there an automated way, like a "swap" mode?
Old 04-10-2019, 03:33 PM

Default Re: replacing takes fast? /swap mode?

You can listen in place in the Clip List. On Windows, use Alt+Click on the Clip, on Mac Option+Click. Page 295 of the Reference Manual.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-10-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resuah Knit View Post
hey,

I'm fairly new to PT, and I wonder if there is already a feature which lets you just scroll through the clips list (left side) and replace a currently selected clip with it. reason being, I recorded many cycles of a loop, and I would like to quickly select the best take, currently I am selecting each take (clip) and drag it over to the arrangement to listen to it, is there an automated way, like a "swap" mode?
You went a step too far to do it now (easily) but look up "playlists" in the manual. That is what you should have done (loop record with auto playlist.) That's the standard way of dealing with multiple takes when recording.

You could now create playlists from all your clips but that may take a long time depending on how many times you recorded. However, big thing, look up "playlists" in the User Manual (or search for videos on You Tube.) Too much to explain in a forum but it is a basic skill for recording with Pro Tools.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:25 AM

Not entirely sure from your description exactly what you want to do, but perhaps the "Replace Clip" function will help you.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 04-11-2019, 10:00 AM

Right click the wave file just recorded and choose Alternates Match Criteria and listen to each one of them , in time.The files will all be one after the other the way you recorded them.
Peace

https://soundcloud.com/charlesmuscat

MacBook Pro Late 2016
Intel I7 Quod Core 2.8 GHZ
16 GB Ram . 256 GB SSD
Catalina 10.15.2

Acer Nitro
Intel I7-6700-HQ
8 GB Ram 256 GB SSD x 2
Win 10 Home 64 bit
Motu 624 AVB , Komplete Audio 6
Pro Tools Native 2020.5 , Sonar Platinum Lifetime
Old 04-11-2019, 10:10 AM

sry if the request was not that precise, essentially I was wondering if I can use the arrow keys to scroll through the clips in the clips window, and by applying a "replace-mode", have them be put on a track (at selection start, or all of the selection) to not have to drag them over to be able to listen to them with plugins applied and kind of "hot-swapping" through this. Ableton live has this for plugin presets, and I thought it would be a neat feature to have for audio files/takes/clips.

I will look into playlists though, it sounded like this was what I was looking for, thanks for the answers so far, I'll report back it this was it.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
look up "playlists" in the manual
yes, comping different parts from different takes is easy this way
Old 04-11-2019, 10:19 AM

the "matching alternates" would be a nifty feature, if I would not have to bring up the menu each time, and could just scroll through the list with the arrow keys, and have the matching alternatives be selected with each hit on the "arrow-down" key. this is basically what I am looking for, as this would save me a click, two distinct mouse movements, followed by another click, rinse and repeat for each matching alternative. (in my current project I have 27 of them). I just want to hot-swap between them with one key stroke, if possible. sometimes I do 100's of takes of the same synth sequence, and later I want to listen to them quickly ideally with applied plugins (on track) with one keystroke (I suggest arrow-down in the clips menu in an imaginary "hot swap-mode").

so, so far I am dragging each of the loops on track, which is simple enough, but a little tedious for many takes.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:31 AM

Alternates Match Criteria...move arrow down to the next clip press enter...you have your next take in line with the project no dragging no sliding easy...I do all the time to choose between guitar solos.
But you have a point on Sonar there`s less clicks for this feature.
Peace

https://soundcloud.com/charlesmuscat

MacBook Pro Late 2016
Intel I7 Quod Core 2.8 GHZ
16 GB Ram . 256 GB SSD
Catalina 10.15.2

Acer Nitro
Intel I7-6700-HQ
8 GB Ram 256 GB SSD x 2
Win 10 Home 64 bit
Motu 624 AVB , Komplete Audio 6
Pro Tools Native 2020.5 , Sonar Platinum Lifetime
Old 04-11-2019, 10:59 AM

as suspected "playlists" was the key, I even managed to assign all current takes (from loop record) to new playlists, it mapped all 27 takes out nicely and I can scroll through them with "shift+arrow up/down". neat. as BScout pointed out, loop record with auto playlist is the way to go in the future.

if you want to map existing clips to new playlists, the "expand alternates to new playlists" in the "matching alternates"-menu is the way to go, in my case pro tools progressively numbered each take 01, 02, etc, so it already knew they are belong together really.

lovely and neat :) thx everyone, problem solved!