Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 12-01-2017, 05:12 AM

Default Access Violation Errors

Hello there!

I recently went over to PTHD from being a very long time Cubase user (15 years). And I must say I'm very impressed by how everything is working, especially since I've NEVER had any good experiences on PC before PT11.

Now, I'm running HD on three different systems and for the most part it's going very smoothly but on all systems I am running into these very irritating Access Violation Errors and I've been trying to trouble shoot this for the last three months but have had zero luck tracing it down.

More experienced people have said that it's usually up to plugins or bad install of the OS and or PTHD on PC that causes these issues. I've managed to rule out it being up to any plugins since I've had the errors in sessions with zero plugins as well.

The size of a session seems like it could have something to do with it, that is the more channels and media in any one session, the more frequent the issue seems but it's come up on very small sessions as well so I guess this is just up to chance.

The three systems I've got going are two Win10 based and one Win7. My older Win7 system although not error free seems to run twice as stable though. And of course I'm having the issues on the same sessions on all systems.

This is all on PTHD 12.8.x

Any ideas?
I've done all the preference trashing etc over all systems and nothing has helped so far.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:06 AM

Default Re: Access Violation Errors

Your best bet would be to open a support ticket with Avid, as they can collect log files and diagnose the problem easier than we can.

With that being said, since the problem seems to follow the session, you could always post the session file (just the ptx file) here and someone with an HD setup could try and open it to see if they also get the error or could look for possible problems.

System Details
Old 12-01-2017, 08:55 AM

Said and done!
Old 12-01-2017, 10:53 AM

Re plugins, sometime an issue caused by a plugin, will happen with no plugins actually in use in a session. For this reason, one method of troubleshooting is to actually remove plugins from the plugins folder. In Windows, that is found here:
C:>Program Files>Common Files>Avid>Audio. In there, you will see 2 folders; Plugins and Plugins(unused). Removing suspect plugins from the Plugins folder makes it so PT doesn't load the plugin at all(your option to move something to the Plugins(unused) folder, or just drag them anywhere handy. I usually drag to the desktop or a folder on the desktop for temporary troubleshooting.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-01-2017, 11:13 AM

Oh, had no idea actually! Good thing to know!
Old 12-07-2017, 07:26 AM

I've never had this kind of messages.. but they started since PT 12.8.2

In this same forum other PT on windows users reported the same regardless of what windows version they where using.