Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2016, 03:40 PM

Default Re: "Missing iLok authorization" error for MAC USERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lambrechts View Post
At times I wonder round here and then I read stuff like this where people complain about Avid and the support they get and I'm stunned.

I mean you 'don't know a great deal about these things' yet you feel it is OK to be annoyed at Avid - even though you do not seem to know what you need to be annoyed about >

Common man ... be serious here. I mean - I understand - I really do but you should step back and look at all of it from a bit of a different perspective.

- The way I read this there could be ANYTHING causing this error : from a faulty ilok to corrupt drivers to the ilok auth not being on the ilok to a faulty usb port on the mac or what have you.

In many ways the RMA process at ilok - which for the record we at Avid do NOT control - is a GREAT process. Think about it. All you need to do is provide physical proof that your ilok is broken by sending it in and then you get your licenses back.

Yes there'a a bit of admin hassle attached to it but how would you have it go then ? You call 1-800-broken ilok and after you speak to the lady on the phone ilok.com sends you a special courier who takes a private jet and comes running out to you to give you a new one ?

I'm just saying - make sure you go through the necessary steps to know who you need to get annoyed at. If it is Avid then we'll make sure we deal with it.

Chris
Chris, I understand where you are coming from but it was Avid who had the judgement to use iLok for their license security. Now iLok has realized that their service WAS a one-time charge for the iLok. Now they are disabling the older iLok fobs in hopes that the users will go to their website and see that ZDT (Zero Downtime) can be purchased...they are, essentially, phasing out their fobs and moving to online license recognition for a charge of $30 per year. It's not that I can't spend the $30/yr but I just don't like being played like this. Also they do not have very good customer service (there is not support number to call. One has to submit a ticket and wait on the response. iLok is not encouraged to respond quickly in hopes that the frustrated user succumbs to subscribing to ZDT. Now, your customers have the right to not like this and have their dislike directed at Avid. In contract negotiations, Avid should have stipulated that something like this would not be forced upon their customers.

Thanks,
A HUGE fan but also one of your disappointed customers
Old 10-25-2016, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onomatopoetic View Post
Chris, I understand where you are coming from but it was Avid who had the judgement to use iLok for their license security. Now iLok has realized that their service WAS a one-time charge for the iLok. Now they are disabling the older iLok fobs in hopes that the users will go to their website and see that ZDT (Zero Downtime) can be purchased...they are, essentially, phasing out their fobs and moving to online license recognition for a charge of $30 per year. It's not that I can't spend the $30/yr but I just don't like being played like this. Also they do not have very good customer service (there is not support number to call. One has to submit a ticket and wait on the response. iLok is not encouraged to respond quickly in hopes that the frustrated user succumbs to subscribing to ZDT. Now, your customers have the right to not like this and have their dislike directed at Avid. In contract negotiations, Avid should have stipulated that something like this would not be forced upon their customers.

Thanks,
A HUGE fan but also one of your disappointed customers
That $30US per year for ZDT is NOT a license fee but insurance in case your iLok goes bad for whatever reason. You need not purchase it to keep your licenses working but that would be like driving a car without insurance - you may be a very careful driver but say you get into an accident and don't have insurance - then you're out big bucks to repair the car. Same deal with iLok.

I and many others pay the $30/year because we need to be able to work no matter what and ZDT helps that along. You may not need it from year to year but when you do be thankful it's there.

QAPLA!
Old 10-25-2016, 06:14 AM

$30 a year for - zero down time...thats no brainer.

I really never have to worry about my ilok again. I lost my main ilok in 2013 and it was a mess going to each OEM and begging that they would replace my licenses.

ZDT assuages those concerns
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
$30 a year for - zero down time...thats no brainer.

I really never have to worry about my ilok again. I lost my main ilok in 2013 and it was a mess going to each OEM and begging that they would replace my licenses.

ZDT assuages those concerns
And if you enable TLC coverage you should be golden. And one of the good things is you can do your iLok TLC business (or any iLok business for that matter) on any computer that connects to the net and has the iLok driver s/w.

QAPLA!