Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2018, 02:53 PM

Default Re: iZotope RX7 officially announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
at a quick glance they HAVE taken spectral repair out of Standard.
I noticed that too and assumed it an error... that can't possibly be true, can it?!!

Insight 2 info - https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mix/insight.html

EDIT - good news musicman, looks like an error. At the bottom of this page - https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...t/rx/post.html - they list features of RX 7 Standard:

Quote:
✓ Includes everything in RX Elements

✓ Isolate and remove vocals or rebalance mix elements with Music Rebalance

✓ Independently adjust time and pitch with Variable Time and Variable Pitch

Eliminate noise issues with the magic of Spectral Repair

✓ Easily fix vocal issues like sibilance, breath, and mouth clicks

✓ Instantly repair multiple files at once with Composite View

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 09-13-2018, 02:23 AM

I've been putting it to instant work on a TV post project. So far the biggest success is the aforementioned Dialogue De-reverb. This is perhaps not top of the new feature list, but it feels game-changingly good. I have Unveil, and of coruse RX's own de-reverb, and this is massively better than either. Produces far more natural results, and that Ambience Preservation is great in helping.

It's very handy to have Dialogue Isolate as a standalone too. I often find this helpful in relatively small amounts just to punch the words through a little more in some busy sync, and its great to have it right there on one-click.

I did try Dialogue Contour in anger, and it can work very well, but as I mentioned before can be glitchy on some material, needs some trial and error. Also this is one that needs realistic expectations going in - it tends to work best on fairly subtle things like taming a bit of over-expression... not sure it can really magically transform a terrible performance.

Award for Most Fun Feature is unquestionably Music Rebalance. Aside from DJs and Remixers, I can't see much use for it in the real world - you'll never get a pure result from complete isolation of vocals for example - but it works much better than it has any right to. Real voodoo stuff, you could lose an evening (well I did) just putting your favourite tracks through it and playing around.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 09-13-2018, 05:02 AM

It looks like they fixed the comparison chart at https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...omparison.html which is all well and good. What's not good at least for rx vanilla users is it looks like we only get three new modules. Music Rebalance, Repair Assistant and Variable Time. That last one has me confused as RX6 had both time and pitch correction. I have to wonder what Izotope did to warrant the 'new' designation whereas they only put an 'improved' designator on Variable Pitch.

I wonder if rx6 and rx7 can coexist with one another on the same drive? I'd give it a shot to see if rx7 really brings something to the table that I could use, especially in the non-Advanced version. IOW how much is really improved and by how much? If the time/stretch stuff is really improved why should I spend $149US for rx7 when I can get Ircam TS for $99US? Especially given Music Rebalance and Repair Assistant don't have any appeal for me.

And to throw a spanner into the works there's the NI update to Komplete 12 which is also $149US for me. Can't afford to buy both right now.

QAPLA!
Old 09-13-2018, 05:47 AM

Jack - Time and Pitch are both still there in their original forms for basic changes. It looks like the contour section has gone and been replaced with Variable Pitch and Time modules. Previously you could only contour the pitch, and now you can with time too. The quality seemed excellent on the latter when I did a test.

No problem with different numbered versions of RX co-existing.

I think you've hit on a problem though. The flashiest and most impressive new feature is Music Rebalance, and I really do think it has almost zero use for regular music-makers or audio post pros. Its a DJ / remixer feature. Great for iZotope in that they might well gain a whole new market, but it does mean for Standard in particular there's not so much real-world gains. Repair Assistant also has limited value, I'd agree. Most of the things I'm excited about are in Advanced.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 09-13-2018, 06:34 AM

I believe there to be tremendous value in Music Rebalance's ability to adjust music beds to sit better under dialogue in a scene, for instance.

I will often receive a stereo or surround music stem, and while simple side-chaining (dynamic EQ, compressor) can help to ensure certain elements don't distract the ear from the dialogue even at low background volume bed levels, Music Rebalance has the potential to achieve this in a more subtle and effective way.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHines View Post
I believe there to be tremendous value in Music Rebalance's ability to adjust music beds to sit better under dialogue in a scene, for instance.

I will often receive a stereo or surround music stem, and while simple side-chaining (dynamic EQ, compressor) can help to ensure certain elements don't distract the ear from the dialogue even at low background volume bed levels, Music Rebalance has the potential to achieve this in a more subtle and effective way.
Actually that's a good point.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 09-13-2018, 06:56 AM

Well looks like I bought the upgrade path for nothing. Multichannel support for advanced only is weak! How do we get our “recently purchased” RX6 license converted to RX7? (Not that I have any use for it)
Old 09-13-2018, 07:12 AM

Default iZotope RX7 officially announced

I’m missing presets in RX7 advanced! Anyone else have this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marenta View Post
I’m missing presets in RX7 advanced! Anyone else have this problem?
Do you mean the stock stuff in the modules? If so, no obvious issues here on W10 / 7 Advanced.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 09-13-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynedelario View Post
Well looks like I bought the upgrade path for nothing. Multichannel support for advanced only is weak! How do we get our “recently purchased” RX6 license converted to RX7? (Not that I have any use for it)
I strongly suspected multichannel would be Advanced-only - the general dividing line is music = standard, post = advanced.

You should get a serial in the upgrades bit, but in my case it just appeared in the portal app.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM