Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2010, 11:05 PM

Default Will a digi 002 control a HD2 system?

Will a digi 002 console control a HD2 system and still be able to track with the inputs/ADAT?

I'm looking to slowly upgrade to a HD2 setup starting with the PCI cards to free up CPU usage, then add the 192i/o etc since I don't have all the $ to get the whole deal.

My main issue right now is maxing out CPU usage due to number of plugins, and I don't want to keep bouncing down back and forth every time I decide I need to change something.

I've tried doing some research and even searched the HD forum for "002" and found nothing. Thanks in advance!
Sabertooth X79, i7-3930k hex core, 32GB Corsair XMS 1600 DDR3 ram, Samsung 840 128GB system drive, WD Black 1TB audio drive, Toshiba 1TB samples library drive, MSI 560ti-448 Graphics card, Hyper 212 EVO cooler, Win7 x64 pro.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Will a digi 002 control a HD2 system?

The short answer is no.

A Command8 or C|24 will work with both LE and HD. Possibly a Pro Control

Your going to need the HD cards and the HD interface to get HD working.

To the best of my knowlage the 002 is not going to provide any funtionality. Your probably better of trading it in or selling it outright.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-13-2010, 11:13 PM

I saw a thread about this a couple of years ago.. I believe the eventual answer was no....

Cheers
Dave
Old 04-13-2010, 11:13 PM

There's no halfway point between hd and le. You need to buy an HD core and an HD interface to use HD. LE interfaces only work with LE software, HD interfaces only work with HD software.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 04-14-2010, 06:35 AM

Cool, just got to wait a little longer is all, thanks!!!
Sabertooth X79, i7-3930k hex core, 32GB Corsair XMS 1600 DDR3 ram, Samsung 840 128GB system drive, WD Black 1TB audio drive, Toshiba 1TB samples library drive, MSI 560ti-448 Graphics card, Hyper 212 EVO cooler, Win7 x64 pro.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toner View Post
Will a digi 002 console control a HD2 system and still be able to track with the inputs/ADAT?

I'm looking to slowly upgrade to a HD2 setup starting with the PCI cards to free up CPU usage, then add the 192i/o etc since I don't have all the $ to get the whole deal.

My main issue right now is maxing out CPU usage due to number of plugins, and I don't want to keep bouncing down back and forth every time I decide I need to change something.

I've tried doing some research and even searched the HD forum for "002" and found nothing. Thanks in advance!
You should REALLY look into a used MacPro first. It will work with your 002 and is vastly more powerful than a G5. A newer MacBook is going to have more power. If you were running out of inputs or mixing film it would be a different story. Trading off the G5 while it still had a little value would be my first step.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-14-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
You should REALLY look into a used MacPro first. It will work with your 002 and is vastly more powerful than a G5. A newer MacBook is going to have more power. If you were running out of inputs or mixing film it would be a different story. Trading off the G5 while it still had a little value would be my first step.
Yea, I was thinking about that too as a HD setup right NOW would be a little overkill, but I do plan to utilize more and more as time goes on and I can acquire more gear. I just don't want to be in this same situation right now if I upgrade to a macpro (12 drum tracks, 6 guitar tracks, 4 solo tracks, 4 vocal tracks, 2 bass tracks plus whatever else) all with plugins, some guitars have line 6 gearbox plugins which are pretty resource hungry, some sessions staying around 96% CPU usage!!! (setup is at 2 processor @ 85% or whatever the max is). PTLE gets SUPER unresponsive it's hard to move the mouse around.

I should be able to get around $600 for my tower now w/ the 6GB ram and 2 hard drives.

I guess Vienna Ensemble Pro may also be another option for now with my win7-64 machine but I really don't want to use 2 complete computer setups for this.

I just want to be able to run everything without having to keep bouncing things down all the time just to make a track inactive so I can do something else. PITA! If a new macpro would allow me NOT to run into this again, cool, but I want to buy something I know won't give me any issues like what I am having, even if it costs more.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toner View Post
Yea, I was thinking about that too as a HD setup right NOW would be a little overkill, but I do plan to utilize more and more as time goes on and I can acquire more gear. I just don't want to be in this same situation right now if I upgrade to a macpro (12 drum tracks, 6 guitar tracks, 4 solo tracks, 4 vocal tracks, 2 bass tracks plus whatever else) all with plugins, some guitars have line 6 gearbox plugins which are pretty resource hungry, some sessions staying around 96% CPU usage!!! (setup is at 2 processor @ 85% or whatever the max is). PTLE gets SUPER unresponsive it's hard to move the mouse around.

I should be able to get around $600 for my tower now w/ the 6GB ram and 2 hard drives.

I guess Vienna Ensemble Pro may also be another option for now with my win7-64 machine but I really don't want to use 2 complete computer setups for this.

I just want to be able to run everything without having to keep bouncing things down all the time just to make a track inactive so I can do something else. PITA! If a new macpro would allow me NOT to run into this again, cool, but I want to buy something I know won't give me any issues like what I am having, even if it costs more.
You will be amazed at how much more native power a mac pro has over the G5's. Especially the current nehalem ones... just wait until the next generation with the 6 core gulftown chips comes out. That will bring the price of the nehalems down.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
You will be amazed at how much more native power a mac pro has over the G5's. Especially the current nehalem ones... just wait until the next generation with the 6 core gulftown chips comes out. That will bring the price of the nehalems down.
+1

Most Intel Macs will smoke your G5, these days. Even my early 2008 Macbook Pro has outdone any generation of G5 I've ever used. The new i7 MBP dances circles around it. 28 tracks might get a little stuffy on a G5, but some of my sessions have that many tracks of just vocals, all with at least 3 plugs... never mind the dozens of other tracks going as well.

As great as those G5s were... they are officially archaic as far as modern computing goes. Their resale value is still pretty decent, though. You could easily take a third off the cost of a new Macbook Pro by selling it, or take a considerable chunk off a Mac Pro.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515