Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-03-2009, 02:29 AM

Default Massive Pack 8 or UAD-2?

I am in the midst of upgrading my studio with a complete PT HD2 system in addition to my existing Logic setup. The plan is to use the PT system for tracking and mixing what I compose in Logic.

So... I wonder how capable a HD2 system really is, and would like your opinion as to what I should get - the Massive Pack 8 TDM or stick to the UAD-2 I already have in my current system and transfer that to the PT system, then buy a couple of additional plugins if neccessary.

I guess my question is... if I will be running my projects at 88khz (or maybe 176 actually, if it REALLY sounds better) and have about 16-20 tracks of audio going on in an average project, how much will I be able to do with the TDM plugins from Massive Pack and how do they compare to UAD? I already use and love UAD plugins, but I don't know what will give me the most plugin power - the TDM system or the UAD-2. Of course there's the advantage with the TDM plugins that if I run out of DSP I can use RTAS versions instead. On the other hand, I can get a UAD-2 quad card for the price of the Massive Pack 8 and that one has a lot of DSP power.

Any recommendations?
Old 12-03-2009, 02:36 AM

Default Re: Massive Pack 8 or UAD-2?

There will certainly be different points of view here, including my own----but my take is this. The UAD2 card is an amazing product offering a great deal of processing to power its own plugins, which are good----VERY good. The quality of plugin code is only possible because of the available and dedicated DSP that is made available to the plugins and its under-lying design similar to how Pro Tools HD works. But the thing to remember is that while this is a DSP-accelerated card similar to an HD card, it's still meant to operate in a native environment where sample buffers and third-party drivers are utilized. What I mean is---the TDM environment is designed, thinks, works, lives, operates, functions, etc as ONE system. The UAD2 card is an "add-on" that brings in some incredible plugins, but you do lose things such as REAL-TIME MONITORING, DELAY COMPENSATION (There is a way around this, but again it's just not the same), LIMITED RESOURCES for your TDM plugins, etc. By the time you buy the QUAD card with all of the plugins, you've spent more money than the current MassivePack Pro deal.

Is it worthwhile to add a UAD2 card? In my opinion, sure---why not! HOWEVER is it the right option to add? Well, that will really depend upon your needs and desires. Personally I'm considering one myself, but that is only because I already have an HD3 Accel.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:45 AM

BradLyons,

Thanks for your point of view. I just wonder how many plugins I'll be able to run on a HD2 system. As far as I can tell there are no plugin instance charts available like there is for the UAD-2 so it's very hard for me to know what I'll be getting. And I need to buy the Massive Pack 8 before I get my HD system together, to get it at its current price.

I know all plugins use different amount of resources, and at different sample rates etc. so it's hard do say anything general about.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
but you do lose things such as REAL-TIME MONITORING, DELAY COMPENSATION (There is a way around this, but again it's just not the same),
? Uad plugs have live tracking mode!! they also have delay compensation which is easily taken care of by pro tools ADC. so neither of those are a problem.

OP: There's is no definitive answer really! TDM plugin count really depends on which plugs you use? I love UAD plugs and i Love many of the TDM plugs, so i can only recommend both

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:26 AM

Chris,

The ADC is taken place by another application that works alongside of ProTools, but it's not exactly integrated into the TDM engine is my point. I'm not saying it's a bad idea or NOT to do it----but personally I prefer to take advantage of the TDM processing first. In a perfect world, BOTH would make sense.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
Chris,

The ADC is taken place by another application that works alongside of ProTools,

Hi Brad,

I think you are confusing with the LE ADC app ATA from mellomuse! UAD works just like any other plugin in HD systems, no need for ATA.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:07 AM

You might be right! Sounds like a reason for me to purchase one, so I can edumuhcate muhself on this again
Old 12-03-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon R. View Post
BradLyons,

Thanks for your point of view. I just wonder how many plugins I'll be able to run on a HD2 system. As far as I can tell there are no plugin instance charts available like there is for the UAD-2 so it's very hard for me to know what I'll be getting. And I need to buy the Massive Pack 8 before I get my HD system together, to get it at its current price.

I know all plugins use different amount of resources, and at different sample rates etc. so it's hard do say anything general about.
I've also been mulling the same thing. I've looked at the RTAS/AU plug-ins I would be upgrading to TDM and come up with this:

Sony EQ
http://www.sonnoxplugins.com/pub/plu...ts/EQ-Spec.htm
Sony Dynamics
http://www.sonnoxplugins.com/pub/plu...s/Dyn-Spec.htm
URS
http://www.ursplugins.com/instances.html
McDSP
http://www.mcdsp.com/index.php?optio...=48&Itemid=128
Altiverb
http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Altiv..._Pro_Tools.pdf
Can't find much info on Waves.

The Altiverb instance counts are a tad disappointing!
Old 12-03-2009, 02:16 PM

I too am very interested in this as well. However, I am going to buy another Accel card first to make my system an HD3. I was thinking I might want to get a Magma chassis and put my HD cards into it. I want to also pick up a UAD-2 card next year when I buy my new Mac Pro.

I tested the SSL Duende which uses a VST wrapped format. Although the plug-ins sound great it took away resources from the TDM engine. As I had to turn on delay compensation long. Is this the same case with the UAD-2??

Apple Powerbook 1.33GHZ/ M-Box 2
OSX 10.5.8/PT LE 7.4.2
Old 12-04-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisblanc View Post
I too am very interested in this as well. However, I am going to buy another Accel card first to make my system an HD3. I was thinking I might want to get a Magma chassis and put my HD cards into it. I want to also pick up a UAD-2 card next year when I buy my new Mac Pro.

I tested the SSL Duende which uses a VST wrapped format. Although the plug-ins sound great it took away resources from the TDM engine. As I had to turn on delay compensation long. Is this the same case with the UAD-2??
Hi,

With UAD2 the delay induced is exactly the same as your buffer setting!

buffer set to 256? delay for UAD is 256!!

(a few uad plugs will have a slightly higher delay, due to being up-sampled for higher resolution processing! this would make them about 20-40 samples on top)

If you want to record with a UAD plugin inserted, there is a "live tracking mode" which processes the signal almost immediately. but there's a limit to how many plugs can be in this state at once!! fine for single over-dubs etc. don't know how many tracks can be in LTM but it would depend on your buffer size and processor power etc.

HD6 in magma chassis and UAD-2 duo in computer working great.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com