Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2003, 04:04 PM

Default Network storage question

I'm trying to figure out what could be the best solution for connecting four PT systems to a common storage system which allows simultaneous access to audio files on the server and writing new files at the same time. I've read about SNS SAN systems, and it seems a good choice. Is there anything else on the market that can work with ProTools?
Branko
Old 07-27-2003, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Network storage question

Branko-

It depends on whether or not you are going to use your drives as production drives or not. If not, then an Xserve is Outstanding. we use one at Technicolor to fly files in and out of our Dubstage. Other than that, there is Avid's medianet, but I think the SNS stuff blows it away. You could design your own Fibre channel Rig, but it's pretty tough, and your performance of the drives can get weird (that's been my personal experience) I really think that SNS is the way to go. If you would Like, I can put you in touch w/ the owner of SNS- He's a really great guy, and will do what it takes, Just email me if you're interested [email protected].

-Todd A.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:35 PM

We just got Fibre here at work. We have several needs that present a few problems: OS/9, Windows 2000 and in the future OSX Windows XP
Replication to a remote location
Automated backup to tape.

I looked at SNS and I liked what I saw. It's the only software that supports all 4 Operating Systems. We ran into some trouble getting a copy of the software to our Fibre consultants for evaluation so we do not use it yet.

SNS reminds me of Apple with their HW/SW approach. You buy their hardware (cards and storage) and their OS (not really an OS, but the stuff that controls access to the Fibre) and they gaurantee that it works. They provide support at no additional cost. Initial cost is not cheap.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:35 PM

One very important thing I just learned last week. There is a bug in ProTools 6.1 which prevents fibre drives from being seen as valid ProTools Drives.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:16 PM

I saw the posts here as well, but My SNS Fibre Drives seem to work just fine....I think the problem is is the Fibre share or Accelware Front -end to the Fibre systems....Digi's definitely working on a patch...

-Todd A.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:02 AM

There are two more choices I've seen installed and working.
Rorke Data has a shared storage network for ProTools using Fibre cards and drives with several installations in New York City running successfully. Currently it supports OS 9 with new client software for OS 10 promised.
AVID's Unity supports ProTools clients including AVXL option for video. ProTools Vers. 6.1 is supported on the PC platform, Mac is currently V. 5.3.1. Unfortunately, the smaller and less expensive LanShare EX has no PT support