Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-14-2007, 03:18 AM

Default laptop catch 22

i need a laptop asap.

nobody knows which core 2 duo laptops work with protools apart from two absurdly priced ones at £2321 ($4597). can anyone actually afford to spunk that much money on a laptop?

i can't buy a laptop until i know which ones run protools.

it seems i can't find out which ones run protools until i buy one and try it out.

i'm trapped in an endless frustrating cycle. should i just bit the bullet and buy one?

anyone know if the HP NX7400 works? it seems quite powerful for the money.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:59 AM

Default Re: laptop catch 22

aaargh! i'm getting nowhere! laptops all seem to come with vista installed so i'd have try and borrow a laptop from a shop, (yeah, that will be easy) get a copy of xp, change the OS, try protools, no doubt fail, then have to reinstall vista and attept to return it to the shop "as sold" and then try and order another laptop to try. i wonder how many times i could do that without them thinking something seriously dodgy is going on?

why can you run all other software on any computer? you don't get this with photoshop or bloody windows media player!
Old 05-14-2007, 12:36 PM

This may be no comfort but Digidesign has a history of taking more time to update their software to work with a new OS (Vista) and even longer with new hardware (Core 2 Duo). They've been pretty upfront with the fact that their core software platform is older than most of the competition and therefore harder to change quickly. They still try to keep most things compatible with earlier version and therefore are limited there as well. Digidesign has always been very picky about compatibility for hardware and also the software/OS configuration. You are unfortunate that you want to get a new Core 2 Duo notebook right now while every manufacturer is only including Microsoft Vista and Digidesign has not completed the work of a Vista version yet. I have a working Protools systems so I'm waiting patiently until the Vista version is out before buying a new computer. I realize that is not an option for everybody. You can continue to complain but I think they already are trying to get the Vista version out as quickly as they can (supposedly this summer)given the amount of testing for all the variables (multiple versions of Vista in 32 bit or 64 bit kernels). As for the Core 2 Duo, your guess is a sgood a mine. The fact that they can certify the expensive HP notebooks is good news in that we know it does work with Protools. The difficult part is that certification takes so long. You can see how many problems they encounter just by looking here on the DUC. They are in no hurry to certify anything until they are absolutely certain it will work.

Maybe this is not a good solution for you but have you considered the Apple MacBook or MacBook Pro? IT is less money than the certified HP's. Last time I checked, Protools seems to work fine with the current version of OS-X.
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
MacOS 10.13.6 running Protools 2018.7.0
Old 05-14-2007, 12:51 PM

thanks for the reply.

i've come to realise that i'll have to get a macbook and run windows on it. this is why i started this thread:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...part=1#1155104

hopefully the answers will be so helpful that it will become a sticky.