Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2003, 08:17 AM

Default I can NEVER get a response on this flipping DUC!!!

What the hell is going on here. I spend an adequate amount of time on the DUC. I respond to peoples questions on a regular basis with sincere and sound advice. But EVERY SINGLE TIME I have ever had a question, I never get a response. Even when I directly ask for DIGI to respond. What's up with this. I think I deserve to have my questions answered just as much as everybody else does. I'm getting tired of this. If it happens again, I'm gonna say, "screw the DUC"!!
M-box
PT 5.2
Old 08-02-2003, 09:03 AM

Default Re: I can NEVER get a response on this flipping DUC!!!

Feeling a little sensitive today ? Maybe your name spooks poeple - only kidding ghostman....,, but what is your question? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I guess us artists can be tempermental, opinionated, and overly sensitive at times, so I wouldn't take this personally. At times, I've felt like I killed a thread with my responses, and maybe I did, but you have to agree with me that the DUC is an amazing wealth of knowledge, and I'm sure that you have contributed and learned much from this conference.

So square up your shoulders soldier, and don't leave us....c'mon guys show ghostman some love and be forgiving if he's offended you in anyway.

Also keep in mind that there is so much traffic on this board with new guys that it becomes a little redundant, and people that usually respond, don't respond anymore.

OK. hope that you are feeling better, and I'll waive my counseling fee this time.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

kenny
Old 08-02-2003, 09:11 AM

Your choice to stay or go, but you might consider...

This is a user forum, not Digi support. I've seen Digi answer some questions, primarily if they address company policy such as upgrade pricing, etc. That Digi sometimes monitors the forums here is a *plus*, not a right. The first line for Digi direct support is your telephone. And I've heard nothing but good things about their telephone support.

Second, folks are unlikely to respond to a post, such as your DVD sound output question, when there are already numerous active forum threads on the same issue - i.e. drivers for Digi hardware. Why would anyone wish to add to yet another thread on this? It simply fragments what information is out there already.

I've only been in DUC for a couple of months, but I'm quite impressed with the level of user-user support. There are some very knowledgable users here, and most of them seem very willing to share information and advice. It's up to you to research the basis of your problem and see if the issue is already active.

Finally, while it's great that you post to current threads, no one *owes* anyone a response to anything. This isn't a bank, eh? People are, obviously, going to respond to posts more if it concerns some issue in which they have a stake. Most of the posts I've seen go without response are those where it's obvious the questioner hasn't done a minimal amount of research. If the answer is already available in multiple places, why bother?

DUC is a cooperative effort, and really only relies on the good will of those who post and share information here. If you can't live with that, I suppose you could say "Screw the DUC," but, really, I think the only one screwed would be yourself.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:18 AM

Bassbuddy and lenf summed it up very nicely. A couple o' things I've observed over the years though - if you want to get a lot of traffic on your threads, start up a good mac/PC flamefest... nothing seems to spark as much interest as a good ol' platform war. It's like driving by a trainwreck, ya just gotta look. Then throw in a few questions and you'll probably get some hits. Kinda like fishing... if you want to catch fish you have to have your line in the water, knowhaimsayin? Then there's the ever so popular rumour threads, they always get a rise... Here's a suggestion - "Anyone heard anything about the new NBox? It's a step up from the MBox and one of the things it's supposed to fix is that %*&# DVD audio problem! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] "

Feel free to use any of these...

Harbour Sounds
Old 08-02-2003, 01:06 PM

Don't take it personally! I've posted a lot of stuff that never gets answered, here on the duc and on gearslutz and apple forums, the my last post gets 28 replies, sometimes people now right of the bat and sometimes they just don't know the answer...period...anyway did you post your dvd/mbox audio problem in the LE/Digi001/002/MBox forum as well or just in the General section?!
As to your problem, is the dvd built in to the mac or external, is it connected to the mbox analog or digital inputs?, is it a cd/dvd drive and cd's play ok but dvd's not? (combo drives have 2 lasers, one for cd's and one for dvd's, could be the dvd lens needs cleaning or is fried)...give us something to go on [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2003, 10:47 PM

Tis true, you do spend an adequate amount of time on the DUC and you definately respond to people's questions on a regular basis with sincere and sound advice. I am becoming increasingly convinced that speaking forsoothly and using "disfluencies and discourse markers," play specific roles in our communication, sending signals to the listener to do things like pay more attention, help the speaker find a word, or be patient while the speaker gathers his or her thoughts. Maybe if you learned to speak more forsoothly. Speaking forsoothly can often make a topic stand out more, thus giving it more the attention it deserves: http://duc.digidesign.com/ubb//ultim...c;f=1;t=005713
Quote:
Originally posted by ghostman420: Cut it out, that crap is annoying. No wonder no-one has responded yet. And no, don't know of any way to do that. hope this helpeth.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">...Anyway at this point you might as well try speaking forsoothly and using "disfluencies and discourse markers...it can't hurt... what have you got to loseth?

Take care comrade [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2003, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by douglas roberts:
As to your problem, is the dvd built in to the mac or external, is it connected to the mbox analog or digital inputs?, is it a cd/dvd drive and cd's play ok but dvd's not? (combo drives have 2 lasers, one for cd's and one for dvd's, could be the dvd lens needs cleaning or is fried)...give us something to go on [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's the eMac combo drive an it's internal (Not the superdrive). If I set the output sound to M-box, it causes the video and audio to be extremely choppy. If I set it to default (the speakers on the eMac itself), it works fine. I have my M-box hooked up throught the USB port, and that's the only connection my M-box has to the computer. From the M-box analog/line outs, I have it running into an amplifier, which powers my speakers. I can listen to any other audio from my computer through the M-box, just not DVD/movie audio. Given this info, I'm sure my DVD drive works fine, because I can watch and listen to DVD's through my e-Mac speakers all day long. The problem arises when I try to listen to DVD/movie audio through my M-box.
M-box
PT 5.2
Old 08-03-2003, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GuitarEasley:
Tis true, you do spend an adequate amount of time on the DUC and you definately respond to people's questions on a regular basis with sincere and sound advice. I am becoming increasingly convinced that speaking forsoothly and using "disfluencies and discourse markers," play specific roles in our communication, sending signals to the listener to do things like pay more attention, help the speaker find a word, or be patient while the speaker gathers his or her thoughts. Maybe if you learned to speak more forsoothly. Speaking forsoothly can often make a topic stand out more, thus giving it more the attention it deserves: http://duc.digidesign.com/ubb//ultim...c;f=1;t=005713
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by ghostman420: Cut it out, that crap is annoying. No wonder no-one has responded yet. And no, don't know of any way to do that. hope this helpeth.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">...Anyway at this point you might as well try speaking forsoothly and using "disfluencies and discourse markers...it can't hurt... what have you got to loseth?

Take care comrade [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">First off, I apologize for my abrasiveness on my reply to your post Easley. Even you yourself agreed that your original post on that thread was annoying. And my reply was only one of nearly 200 that I've made on the DUC; And by no means does it reflect the attitude of the majority of my posts. I really do attempt to give sound and sincere advice on the majority of my posts. But I'm human just like the rest of us, and I have emotions also. I get annoyed, irritated, and frustrated just like everyone else. But you're right, it doesn't mean I have to send a nasty reply (I can leave those up to Slim Shady [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) He's got plenty to go around for all of us. Sorry Slim, but it's true [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] . I think it's time for a new screen-name for "ghostman420". Since 420 is no longer a part of my life. I think my name probably isn't helping my cause any.

Thanks to all who replied: I really do feel better now! Who needs a shrink; I've got the DUC.
M-box
PT 5.2
Old 08-03-2003, 10:13 PM

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I know bro, you have done many quality posts.

Quote:
Who needs a shrink; I've got the DUC.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ha! I like that! The DUC is pretty inexpensive therapy.

Also, I believe you might be right about Slim Shady. Whatever you do, don't get Slim Shady to reply to my posts [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ! Ghostman420, I prefer interacting with you my friend [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2003, 05:23 AM

Hey, COME ON, SS said very clearly that he's a very helpful and kind DUC participant. Uh, that was in the same message where he kindly pointed out that I'm a "selfish bastard" (exact quote). Who needs a shrink when you can get this kind of insightful analysis for free?
Seriously, DUC is the best and most useful forum I've ever been on. It's phenomenal. Very few flame wars and LOTS of expertise on line.