How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2016, 01:10 AM

Default Recording on Internal Harddrive

Hey there...,

In the past...with PT9 i was pleased to not record on the system drive.
i was never in need to with my Mac Pro, so i didnt care about.

now i just jumped to PT12 and i have a situation, where i have to record mobile with my macbook. I Installed PT12 on that machine as well, and even that its a mid 2010 model, it works fine so far...i recorded 20 tracks for a test on the internal harddrive...my system drive...it was working well.

so what exactly is the point on not recording on the system drive? or is it ok now with PT12? would be nice if would not be in need to take a external with me...
Old 01-20-2016, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Recording on Internal Harddrive

I think that the main point of not recording to your system drive is that recording multi-track audio or video works a conventional disk drive fairly intensely, and you don't want to stress your system drive that has all your applications on it that hard. Also, system drives that come pre-installed are usually 5400 rpm, and if you are recording many channels or higher sample rates they used to not be up to the task.

Drives are generally faster and more reliable now than they used to be, and especially in the case of SSD's you could probably record all day to your system drive without any problems. I still like having my audio data separate from my system drive though, for piece of mind as much as anything. Plus you can easily plug the drive into your desktop system for editing and mixing later on. As always, make sure you make a backup copy sooner rather than too-late.