Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 03-28-2013, 08:15 PM

Default New Member

Hello, I am harmonicmint. I am new to this group and am a ProTools 9 user and look forward to participating in this forum and hope to make some new friends in the audio community as well. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about protoolsusers.org? I saw it's sponsored link on my facebook news feed and submitted an application to the group's forum. They asked for several bits of information that I thought was odd like my Ilok username and how much money I made in the music industry. Against my better judgement I provided my information and received an email stating that I would be notified if my application for the forum was approved. That was about a week ago and I haven't received any notification one way or another and I cannot log in using my registration info. I was just wondering if protoolsusers.org was actually an operated by the Avid company or if it is a privately operated. Thank you.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 PM

Default Re: New Member

Interesting never heard of them before

Not related to avid - positive

Maybe they asked for your Ilok user name to give you a free plug-in?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:03 AM

Link? If there's some type of scam going on we would like to be aware of it. And free plugs also. We especially like free plugs. And candy.

Future note: Its pretty much non standard to require some ones iLok account name when joining any type of online community. As far as I know however with out your key and password no one can tamper with anything.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-29-2013, 03:02 AM

Thanks for the reply... here is the link. http://www.protoolsusers.org/ I have no idea if they offer free plugins or not as I was never granted membership. You seem very friendly, I think I will like it here.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:54 AM

Hello, Harmonicmint, and welcome to the forum.

Nothing wrong with protoolsuser.org, I think. I remember hanging around there a bit just as they started out. After some time they wanted a membership fee or something so I dropped out. Seemed to me they were more a business than a community. But this was half a dozen years ago or something.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:07 AM

I posted a reply with a link to it several hours ago but it said it had to be approved or something and hasn't shown up in the thread yet. Maybe the link has to be verified?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:51 AM

Giving your iLok ID is not an issue (to me anyway) as long as you did NOT give out your iLok password. Several companies have my iLok ID so they can deposit assets to my account

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-29-2013, 08:21 AM

Ya, I would have never given my password out. I'm kind of glad I found out that they aren't necessarily sanctioned by Avid as it spurred me on to join this community. I prefer to deal directly with a company's established community if I have the option and not a private organization who's subject matter pertains to a company that they aren't actually affiliated with. So it all worked out for the best.