Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2009, 01:53 PM

Default Re: PRO TOOLS - A never ending world of PAIN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnT View Post
Who's right? MrBlack or I?

Microsoft's website says, "Help block computer viruses and worms from reaching your computer."

It seems to me that Windows Firewall would make it so a hacker could not send malicious viruses or commands to my computer.
Well, I don't really want to get into a who's right or wrong - if it doesn't interfere with your work leave it on.

A firewall is not the same as anti-virus software, a firewall stops software opening ports and can do packet filtering etc, so technically yes it can detect malicious packets and prevent malicious code but this is only really an issue if you have an email server on your system or its got a public ip address and is accessible to attack like a web server. You cant just send malicious viruses or 'commands' to a computer unless you have ports open on a pc or you have a public ip address, which is unlikely but not out of the ordinary. (the last company I worked for used public address for all it's clients, ie the public, but this is unusual)
Just go to Start -> Run -> Type CMD and hit enter. Type in ipconfig and you'll prob see your ip address as 192.168.X.X ie it's private and unaccessible outside your router.
If you ever think you have a trojan or virus just type in Netstat -b and you'll see the programs associated with the open port and address.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:31 PM

"Microsoft's website says, "Help block computer viruses and worms from reaching your computer."

The key word there is HELP. All the stuff you do and all the programs you buy or download, will HELP prevent bad stuff getting onto your computer, but NONE of it is perfect, and hackers and spammers are always working to stay ahead of the anti-everything crowd. There is no bullet proof prevention other than never turning the damn thing on. There are 2 kinds of computer users; those that HAVE had some bad stuff, and those that WILL get some bad stuff.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-30-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dr38 View Post
So I switched my PC on today and thought lets record my new bongo - one mic, simple. I double click on the PT Icon and nothing happens. When I finally hit ctrl+alt+delete I see that PT is running somewhere but has not opened so I do the usual things, restart, reboot etc and the same thing happens. Last time it happened I reinstalled it and it was fine, I am using version 7.3.1 by the way. I uninstall it and then try to re-install, starting with 7.3 and the progress bar gets the full way and install just hangs, again and again so now I cant get it to re-install. Next I try installing 7.0. It begins to install only this time I get some box pop up that Ive never seen before, giving me 4 options: To install drivers, remove drivers, install current drivers, or about? Naturally I click install drivers and it appears to install but still the box stays open with the progress bar fixed at half way in the background. I try every option and the box wont go. Finally I click on the cross to clear the box and it goes, now Im faced with an error saying that the drivers were not installed and that I need to make sure that I have the correct inf path, I have no idea what this means. Eventually the bar gets to 100% and freezes so I force quit. I have now a PT icon on my desktop but no actual software installed. Hang on a minute where is that trusty old 6.7 disc which came with my 002 Desk? It almost installs but gets to the last bar and freezes once again, oh boy I am seriously ready to throw this machine out of the window. I'm thinking how long do I wait here? Surely 5 mins is enough time to assume nothing more is going to happen. And by now my machine has started to work at the pace of a tortoise. SO now I cancel the installation early once again and it appears to have installed but wont load. So I try to remove 6.7 and it simply wont delete from my add/remove. When I insert the 6.7 disc it asks me if I want to repair/modify but I cant open it or remove it. Can any PLEASE help me? All I wanted to do was a quick recrding exercise and it's now taken me 5 hours and I cant even open the frickin programme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing thats recently changed on the PC is that I've been online, no new progs have been installed. This PC has NEVER bene used for the web, surely 1 weeks worth of surfing wouldnt cause this???????? The internet/firewall is disabled wile I am trying to use PT, any ideas please? Sensible ideas preferably

Cheers

L.Dudley
So, how's it going, the_dr38?
2 gB ram
Lacie Rugged 5400 rpm firewire 800 on Siig Cardbus adapter
Roland 700SX stage piano
Studio Projects C3 mics
Melodyne Plugin
Dual Boot:
PTLE 8.0.1 on Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit
PTLE 8.0.1 on XP Media Center SP3
Old 11-03-2009, 11:55 AM

A great response. Thanks to all for the advice, sure enough after all of the heart ache, it was IE8. Once removed PT was back up and running as quick as ever. The sooner I can return this PC to a non-internet threatened state the better.

Thanks guys.