Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 03-17-2016, 02:23 PM

Default Focusrite 2i2 setup with Pro Tools 12

Hi guys,

I'm a student and during one of Avid's recent demo's of PT12.4, I happened to win a copy. I'm still pretty ecstatic, especially as now I can work on my uni mixes at home.

The only thing is I've installed PT12.4 on my Macbook Pro (13" Retina, mid 2014) and as far as I can tell set it up to work with my Scarlett 2i2. However when I open the project I've been working on at uni, I can get sound outputting as the mixdown automatically re-routes to the 2i2's outputs, but something has gone wrong at some point as theres no panning on the tracks and the controls on PT wont affect the output.
For example, my snare sound is panned at about 35 to the right, but is being output solely on my left monitor and changing the pan pot doesnt affect it at all.

Is this just a set up issue/an issue to do with the differences between Unis system? And does anyone know how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-22-2016, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Focusrite 2i2 setup with Pro Tools 12

First of all make sure you have the right I/O settings in Pro Tools in either cases, at home and at the Uni´s system.
Means, after opening Pro Tools always go to to the Playback Engine menu, make sure the Scarlett (or the Uni´s interface)
is selected, then go to the I/O menu and click on -Default- on every page (Input, Output, Bus, Insert) and press -OK-.
Don´t rely on it´s automatical re-routing, set it up manually to exclude any issues.

Secondly go to all your track channels and check the output settings, inclusive your busses and the Master channel. Make sure
they are all set up correctly accordingly to the I/O of the connected audio interface (Scarlett etc.). Check for any Mono settings
where originally there should be a Stereo setting for example etc.

Then don´t forget to save the session with all these settings.
You know, you always have to make sure that your channels meet the I/O settings of the connected interfaces, particularly if you
use different interfaces to work on your sessions.

You further may check out if you use the right version of OS X with your PT12.4
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...m-Requirements
and do set up all the optimization stuff as well as do some troubleshooting like trash Preferences etc. You can find it all there.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en367983

To me personally it sounds like an I/O mismatch or there might be something set to Mono on your system or something like that.

Basically the Scarlett 2i2 works flawlessly with OS X El Capitan, Pro Tools 12.4 and 2014 MacBooks Pro and as long as the Focusrite
isn´t damaged there should be no reason why it should not work (no drivers and no software needed, just plug and play). Besides
my Apollo desktop system I use such a set up for mobile applications without any problems myself successfully.

Well, you additionally may check all connections (cables etc.) on your Scarlett set up, check your headphones etc. for possible
hardware failures.

All the best to you,

VRW
Old 02-26-2019, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Focusrite 2i2 setup with Pro Tools 12

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...output-device-

This link helped me with seeing two options for scarlett 2i2 in my playback engine.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio