Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2014, 12:07 PM

Default Default I/O settings different each time (with same hardware)?

I have an Apogee Symphony I/O and I'm running PT11 (vanilla). When I create a new session I usually go into PT I/O... and click the "Default" button on the inputs, outputs and busses.

What I find confusing is that sometimes the inputs default to:

In 1-2
In 3-4
In 5-6
etc..

And other times (for no reason it I can tell) it'll say:

In 1-2
A Mic 3-4
In 5-6

Where is it getting these default names from? Even if I don't touch anything in Maestro, Pro Tools might give different default input names, apparently depending on the wind.

It's easy enough to manually rename them, but I want to understand what's happening.

Thanks,
Old 09-27-2014, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Default I/O settings different each time (with same hardware)?

Can't explain what you're seeing but you can do what I do: create a preset for the output/input/buss configuration etc. in PT I/O and give it a name. When you create a new session you're given a choice of different I/O setups and one of them will be your custom setup. Choose that and you should be good to go.

Something that comes to me is IIRC the Symphony I/O connects via USB2 as well as the Avid Digilink connector. If you're on a Windows machine and the USB ports have gone to sleep due to power savings that can/will cause a disruption of the interface path and that might be what's causing your problem. Do you by some chance have a second audio interface connected to your computer like maybe an onboard audio card? If so disable that.

QAPLA!