Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #81  
Old 06-06-2014, 06:09 AM
YYR123's Avatar
YYR123 YYR123 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 13,661
Default Re: First vocal mic you would have bought if....

My first mic was an m-audio nova LDC off eBay. $35
__________________
Daniel
HDX - PT12.5.1 - HD I/O 16x8x8
Win10-Pro (v1709)- 6 Core i7-6850k - ASUS X99 Deluxe ii
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue


http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 06-06-2014, 06:58 AM
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
Bob Olhsson Bob Olhsson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Songwriter Gulch, Nashville, TN
Posts: 3,317
Default Re: First vocal mic you would have bought if....

I disagree with the concept a first recording mike should be affordable. It should be a very high quality general purpose mike. Less than that is a waste of money.
__________________
Bob's room 615 562-4346
Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 06-06-2014, 07:04 AM
YYR123's Avatar
YYR123 YYR123 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 13,661
Default Re: First vocal mic you would have bought if....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I disagree with the concept a first recording mike should be affordable. It should be a very high quality general purpose mike. Less than that is a waste of money.

What was your first mic Bob?
__________________
Daniel
HDX - PT12.5.1 - HD I/O 16x8x8
Win10-Pro (v1709)- 6 Core i7-6850k - ASUS X99 Deluxe ii
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue


http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 06-06-2014, 07:33 AM
CME CME is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ardmore OK
Posts: 3,205
Default Re: First vocal mic you would have bought if....

I think it depends on your perspective and budget. If you want to take it seriously and can justify the cost something like an c414 could be a great first mic. If you are on more if a budget the cad m179 can be pretty darn useful also.

Either way a good LDC is probably my first recommendation just on the amount of ground one can cover. But a good dynamic can work for a lot of things also. Especially if they're more concerned with instrument mic'ing. In that case I'd recommend a heil pr22ut. Like a hot rod 57. It can work on almost anything also.
__________________
2009 Mac Pro - Dual X5650 Xeon 6-core 2.66Ghz procs, 48GB of Ram, SATA 3 and USB 3.0 PCIe cards. R9 280X video card. macOS Sierra. Harrison Mixbus 32C, Studio One 3, Reaper, and pro tools 12 when I have to.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 06-06-2014, 02:20 PM
musicman691 musicman691 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,403
Default Re: First vocal mic you would have bought if....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
I think it depends on your perspective and budget. If you want to take it seriously and can justify the cost something like an c414 could be a great first mic. If you are on more if a budget the cad m179 can be pretty darn useful also.

Either way a good LDC is probably my first recommendation just on the amount of ground one can cover. But a good dynamic can work for a lot of things also. Especially if they're more concerned with instrument mic'ing. In that case I'd recommend a heil pr22ut. Like a hot rod 57. It can work on almost anything also.
I would never recommend any Heil mic. I used to use them with my ham radio rigs and they have a nasty sound. I'm not referring to the bandwidth restrictions because you can have restricted bandwidth but still have a good sound. They are not the cleanest of mics. Switched to Neumann BCM705's. Now there's a good general purpose dynamic mic.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 06-06-2014, 02:44 PM
propower propower is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 2,202
Default Re: First vocal mic you would have bought if....

AT4060 used - ~ $750
__________________
2017 27" iMac 3.8GHz i5, 1TB SSD
Logic ProX, Studio One V4, PT2019.x Orion Studio 2017, Apogee Ensemble TB
Musician: http://www.ivanlee.net/
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 06-06-2014, 03:47 PM
CME CME is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ardmore OK
Posts: 3,205
Default Re: First vocal mic you would have bought if....

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I would never recommend any Heil mic. I used to use them with my ham radio rigs and they have a nasty sound. I'm not referring to the bandwidth restrictions because you can have restricted bandwidth but still have a good sound. They are not the cleanest of mics. Switched to Neumann BCM705's. Now there's a good general purpose dynamic mic.

Which ones have you used? I've used several and think they're solid mics. But I've only used their music mics. I do know they have a series just for ham radios and I'm clueless about those.

Fwiw we use a heil rc35 paired with a Shure ulx-d rig for the lead singer at church and it is great. Way better than the beta 87 system it replaced. Just as clear, a little better low end response, and so much less background noise/bleed it's not funny. It's also a very popular choice for many main stream touring acts.

We also have their pr48 kick mic and I really like it. Gives a good picture of how the drum sounds and takes EQ really well. That way you can "tune" it to what ever style you're needing.

I've got several of their pr22ut's too. I've heard complaints about handling noise, but I've never used it for vocals so I can't comment on that. But on snare and electric guitars it's great. Doesn't have the honk of a
57 and a little more extended high end.
__________________
2009 Mac Pro - Dual X5650 Xeon 6-core 2.66Ghz procs, 48GB of Ram, SATA 3 and USB 3.0 PCIe cards. R9 280X video card. macOS Sierra. Harrison Mixbus 32C, Studio One 3, Reaper, and pro tools 12 when I have to.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 06-07-2014, 04:00 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,403
Default Re: First vocal mic you would have bought if....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Which ones have you used? I've used several and think they're solid mics. But I've only used their music mics. I do know they have a series just for ham radios and I'm clueless about those.

Fwiw we use a heil rc35 paired with a Shure ulx-d rig for the lead singer at church and it is great. Way better than the beta 87 system it replaced. Just as clear, a little better low end response, and so much less background noise/bleed it's not funny. It's also a very popular choice for many main stream touring acts.

We also have their pr48 kick mic and I really like it. Gives a good picture of how the drum sounds and takes EQ really well. That way you can "tune" it to what ever style you're needing.

I've got several of their pr22ut's too. I've heard complaints about handling noise, but I've never used it for vocals so I can't comment on that. But on snare and electric guitars it's great. Doesn't have the honk of a
57 and a little more extended high end.
I haven't used their non-ham mics but usually the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree so I'm lumping all their mics in one basket. Handling noise has really been an issue; Heil doesn't really do any shock mounting or noise abatement in their mics. You pretty much have to do that with third party shock mounting.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 06-08-2014, 02:43 PM
mazzie mazzie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: australia
Posts: 52
Default Re: First vocal mic you would have bought if....

Microphones are just a small part of the chain, we started with a rode nt2000 and loved it (pre amp was an octopre) but there always seemed to b something missing,
As things improved in the chain so did the nt2000.
Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 06-08-2014, 02:59 PM
CME CME is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ardmore OK
Posts: 3,205
Default Re: First vocal mic you would have bought if....

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I haven't used their non-ham mics but usually the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree so I'm lumping all their mics in one basket. Handling noise has really been an issue; Heil doesn't really do any shock mounting or noise abatement in their mics. You pretty much have to do that with third party shock mounting.

Well you might not want to lump them all in a basket. And while the pr22ut may have some handling noise, they addressed it with the pr20. And I've never had an issue with handling noise.

Also the rc35 is becoming pretty popular with big tours. I read an article where cee lo's sound guy has started using them and loves them. And here's and older review I quickly found.

http://www.fohonline.com/home/23-roa...-capsules.html
__________________
2009 Mac Pro - Dual X5650 Xeon 6-core 2.66Ghz procs, 48GB of Ram, SATA 3 and USB 3.0 PCIe cards. R9 280X video card. macOS Sierra. Harrison Mixbus 32C, Studio One 3, Reaper, and pro tools 12 when I have to.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vocal Comp or Vocal Limiter? tommydigiowen 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 3 04-03-2011 06:34 PM
Vocal Mic and Vocal/Instrument Preamp vsideproductions Tips & Tricks 5 09-22-2006 04:17 PM
DBX Pro Vocal digital vocal strip xprod77 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 4 03-06-2003 05:53 PM
Has anybody here ever bought ... Lalaman 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 19 01-22-2003 12:10 AM
bought ultra scsi card when I bought my G4 -- do I need to buy a different one? Joseph Grimm 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 1 11-30-2000 09:44 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:19 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com