Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-18-2009, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Re-learning to mix ITB?

I'm sure I could start a topic about the best way to how cook fish and it'd somehow come back to how sh*t and obsolete all our HD systems are.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
I'm sure I could start a topic about the best way to how cook fish and it'd somehow come back to how sh*t and obsolete all our HD systems are.
Well I've noticed that people are mostly conceding this point now, rather than arguing nonsense like "The TDM mix buss sounds better" and the like. The HD-owner jihad against me personally has abated.

I really don't want to rub anyone's nose in it as long as they aren't rubbing my nose in it either. Yes LE is crippled (intentionally) but so is HD (from obsolescence).
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
LOL!!! funniest post I've seen in a while... and actually it wouldn't be anyone, it'd specifically be peppertree, since he's the only one who brings it up and literally tries to find ways to bring it up in threads...

Here we are talking about tracking levels and riding faders and wadda ya know, he tries to bring it back to "headroom in LE is..." Change the record already, man. Nobody cares about your song and dance anymore.

Let's try to keep this back on topic. Re-learning to mix in the box, remember? It has nothing to do with HD vs LE...so try not to make it about that, ok?

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 08-18-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
and let's not forget what brainfood PINK ELEPHANT is....

Old 08-18-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Not to be a wet blanket on the "you need to learn a new gain structure routine to mix in the box" point of view, but, not overloading the master buss and not clipping your individual channels, just like on an analog console, completely applies, in exactly the same way, to mixing ITB. The same principles that worked on an analog console are still working for me ITB. The Pro Tools environment was intended to be a virtual tape machine and board. It pretty much works like that. Don't overdo your levels and your mix will not be distorted. Pretty straight ahead.
That's all true. The problem is there is an entire generation that did not grow up on a console. They have no idea what gain staging on a analog or digital console is because they've NEVER done it.

I lecture at about 6 colleges and trade schools every year. A tremendous amount of these schools don't even have analog consoles. Most of them have ICONS. So to a lot of the students, analog gain staging is purely a concept. Not an everyday reality.

My New Instructional Mixing DVD 2 is Shipping
www.tonysound.com
http://twitter.com/tonysound
Old 08-18-2009, 09:00 PM

Well, it's great that someone is out there teaching people about this. What is a bit disconcerting to me is that we've got a bunch of people here trying to prove that ITB is totally different than OTB. Ultimately, it's about what ends up being the best balance between tracks, the best sonic optimization of each track and having no distortion anywhere (unless of course it is the kind that is intended and ultimately sounds good for the mix).
Old 08-19-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
Who said anything about a calculator? Re-read my post. All I'm saying is, adjust your MIC PREAMPS to get it right on the way in, so you can leave your faders near 0 when mixing, making it easier to make fine adjustments to the mix as you are listening to it.
Just a question: Would you advise the same with Virtual Instruments as well? Should the VIs MIDI Volume control be lowered for this?

Pro-Tools 10.3.10 HD 2 Accel PCIe
OSX 10.10.3
Old 08-19-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPo View Post
Just a question: Would you advise the same with Virtual Instruments as well? Should the VIs MIDI Volume control be lowered for this?
No! Lowering MIDI volume often loses you resolution (maybe not true for all instances, but...). Lower audio volume instead, unless you are getting unpleasant distortion.

Anyway the goal of having all your faders at or around 0 from tracking onward is childish. If you are building track-at-a-time you will be printing too hot that way, and even if you are doing everything-at-once hindsight may still lead you elsewhere.

You are as good as you are resistant to dogma. Anytime you see an engineer pronounce some dogma they think they're really smart for coming up with, snicker to yourself how much of a simpleton they are.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:36 AM

Quote:
The HD-owner jihad against me personally has abated.
no, we're just busy working...

it's frustrating to look forward to what could be a really cool thread and instead see it devolve into a hd sux vein.

btw, i'm for free speech and all, but how do they let you continue to post in a tdm thread when clearly...
well, you know.

really, post all you want, it's just hard to wade through all the invective;
just like the gui thread which digi mercifully pulled the plug on,
i was interested in seeing what others saw, it was just too time consuming to slog through jimis every other hour postings about the same thing ad nauseum.
and in

single

spaced

lines

at that ( i see he even managed to sneak in a pink pachyderm reference in this thread, omg!)

what attracted me to the duc years ago was people helping people.

there was always cool little tips and trix, and i could dive in while the band was on a smokey smokey break and grab a new shortcut or something.

but in all your voluminous postings i don't see where you've tried to help anyone...
just browbeating users and digi with your peeder-like obsessions.

in an adjoining thread you call people like bob ohlsson and, i guess, me "elitists" for owning hd and running commercial studios...
well, here, we'll use your words-
Quote:
Those new "personal" audio and video studios grow up. And with today's technology, they grow up quick. And lo and behold, they are taking your business away before you know it.
Efforts to protect the pre-eminence of an elite will only condemn such a company to obscurity.
you couldn't be more wrong.

the project studios have been a boon to our business.
as the pool widens with more and more people getting the recording bug,
they soon realize there's no "experience" plug in.
and soon they're asking us to help doing drums/ vocals/ tuning /fixing /mixing whatever.
we even have a new lucrative biz giving lessons to those same project studio owners about how to set their gain structure or how to mix itb and so on.

i really wish i was spending my time writing about how mixing itb has been a revelation for me, and how i can do more than i ever dreamed with my analog set up.

for all this talk about obsolescence, just today i booked about a months worth of gigs using our over priced obsolete studer.

you see, that's what i don't "get" about this obsession.
if digi/avid went under tomorrow i'd still have a kick ass mean mixing money making machine for many years to come.

the sad thing is, i see thread after thread with people waiting...
oh, if we only had 64 bit all our problems would go away,
or adc, or more trax or whatever.
and you caution everyone to "wait" for the
next ...
great ...
pumpkin, i guess;
meanwhile i have everything i need to make great music (and money)
a stable no latency adc equipped system with more trax and busses than i could ever use.
(well, ok, no stereo equipped drum rehab, but that's for another day.)
but, see, thats the diff between you and i
i could come on here every day/hour and bitch abot my "crippled" rehab but i just learn to work with it and move on.

no client asks if i have hd or LE.
no client asks/suggests i have something obsolete.

while you wait, i work...

regards,
e

i leave you with this. g'night
Old 08-19-2009, 08:05 AM

Excellent post.

This is my favorite line

Quote:
what attracted me to the duc years ago was people helping people.

HTH...LOL