Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-10-2007, 10:04 AM

Default Re: PT 7.3.1 - Still Features Random Graphic Freezes BUMP

Quote:
Conclusion: This is a G5 specific problem
Well unfortunately it's not. The freeze happens on my Mac Pro as well. Fortunately it doesn't happen very much. I haven't been able to discern any pattern to when; I can make it through a whole mix on some sessions without a single freeze, but it starts to happen on others. I tend to use more or less the same variety of plugs, so I really don't know what would cause it to happen on one session but not another. Luckily I'm not using MIDI/VI's that often. I have had it happen in the past on sessions with MIDI and the whole note train wreck thing is kind of a nightmare if you don't get your monitors turned down in time.

Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, PT HD1 7.3.1cs3
Old 08-10-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Guys and Gals,

Just to bump this up again. I was over at my client's place (as described above) a couple of days ago working on his tired old G4 Dual 1 Gig Quicksilver. All frickin' day that thing was grinding away on PT7.3 with not a freeze in sight! Or any other hiccups for that matter. Conclusion: This is a G5 specific problem and the old G4's are still rocking in the free world.

Cheers all. Please, please some update Digi.

Ta

BP
Wow, my friend with the dual G4 would be surprised to hear that.
He has just as many freezes per day as my G5.

My New Instructional Mixing DVD 2 is Shipping
www.tonysound.com
http://twitter.com/tonysound
Old 08-10-2007, 11:39 PM

Can't read this whole thread but I'm seeing it even more often now with PT 7.3.1cs4 than I was in the past few months. Quad G5 2.5GHz, PT 7.3.1cs4, OS 10.4.9, HD3 PCIe. Also, I'd like to comment to Digidesign Tech Support, who routinely tosses out on DUC these days (since Pro Tools 7) that we should "check plugin version compatibility" as the be all end all solution to all problems, that it is just about impossible to do that and it would be nice if Digidesign would ASSIST us in this regard by forcing developers to comply with some set of standards that make it possible - which I know they can do because nobody can make a plugin for Pro Tools (aside from wrapped VSTs, etc) without Digidesign's approval and API's (but then even the companies making the wrappers have to have Digi approval). Many plugins don't show their version number in the "get info" field in the Finder or in their file name, and Digidesign does not provide a comprehensive and easily searchable database of "all" plugins so that we can verify compatibility. Even if they did, I doubt that would solve this one. Digidesign can't possibly check every combination of every plugin to rule out causes of problems. They need to be more pro-active and design their plugin API's so it is difficult or far less likely for 3rd party plugins to cause the smorgasboard of issues that are blamed on plugins these days. It would also be nice if Pro Tools provided a built in way to manage plugins, ie activate/deactivate them in a plugin manager window, so it would be easier to test for conflicts. All that said, I'm freezing up with spinning beachballs in every session these days - big or small. Most common plugins: Waves (SSL/Tune/IR1/Q/RenComp/LinEQ/LinMB,L3,L316), McDSP (FB,ML4000,CB2,CB3), Soundtoys Echoboy, Izotope Ozone.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:58 PM

Hey everyone,

Had my studio in bits for a woodwork and patchbay refit for two weeks since my last post. Did my first session today, and guess what greeted me when printing the master mix in front of the client!?! No one wins a prize. I had a single acoustic guitar track and 4 midi tracks triggering a basic beatbox loop in Reason. Right in the middle of printing, screen freeze and the dreaded midi clog followed by monitor frying burst of notes. How frickin' predictable.

Why has it been so long since Digi gave us an update? Lousy show! They certainly charged me good frickin' money for the last software upgrade, but now I guess we're all just being "a touch pedantic " about our expectations of system performance right?! I am starting to get seriously annoyed with this problem. How ******n disrespectful can you be to loyal customers Digi? We've all been really, really, really, really patient here and tried not to get in your craw while you had time to look into this, but you guys are now seriously taking the piss. I offered for someone to come to my studio to bear witness, but that aint gonna happen is it?

I see from another thread here (can't remember the name), that if you post the bugs on YouTube, Digi shows up right smartly and tries to help. Anyone here have a digital video camera they can perch overlooking their system to catch one of these ridiculous freezes. £32,000 GBP I paid for my system and this is how it performs. Shameful!!!

BTW. Sorry if I jumped to any conclusions in my last thread about it being a G5 and beyond only (that's what I originally meant) problem. I was wrong and I apologise, but that changes nothing concerning the core issue here.

Yours, pissed off

BP
Old 08-16-2007, 04:43 PM

Digi,

FYI or FY shame, it's been exactly 8 weeks to the day since you bothered to speak to us on this issue and 27 other posts (not including mine) have been lodged since then (not to mention 12 whole pages of them beforehand) and not one of them is reporting sucess with a resolution or workaround. I run a professional recording studio and I routinely tell lies to clients to cover for your reputation, because I genuinely love working with PT and would/do recommend it to anyone who will listen. I never bother to bog you guys down with feature requests or other personal gripes, as I know you've got higher priority issues to deal with keeping the software/system moving forward (and I am truly grateful for those efforts) and I can live with small operational quirks, but this not insignificant bug ruins mix prints and freaks out customers. I now have to listen intently to every print I do (boring instrumentals and stems etc.) when I need to be getting on with other stuff like recalls and liasing with the client (ordering their cab or generally giving my best to a touch of overall PR).

Why the silence?

I make no apologies for my "pissed off" tone, as it appears that assuming the role of one participant in a constructive dialogue and trying to be patient and professional with yourselves has gotten us long suffering customers absolutely nowhere, while apparently posting bug reports on YouTube produces results.

BP
Old 08-18-2007, 01:53 PM

"Automation edits crash session / graphic freezes"

Both of these are causing me a lot of trouble. I think they might be related....

the crash occurs when using the hand selector to edit breakpoints or add new breakpoints to existing automation...I think it might be happening when a graphic freeze starts at exactly the same time the hand selector is hitting the volume line. it does not seem to be plug-in usage dependent, but it does appear to be automation density related - the more automation I have, the more the problem seems to happen...

details: I get the spinning beach ball and the audio keeps playing but loses sync randomly. It sounds like its playing different chopped up pieces of tracks out of sync around where the freeze happened during playback...this lasts for 3 or 4 seconds and then it crashes. Sometimes I can restart PT, but after every 4 or 5 crashes I get the Chinese curtain falling...I lose some of my preferences and hardware settings afterward- clock reverts to internal, if I have auto backup set on every 2 minutes, it reverts to every 5 minutes. Sometimes I can't type in the dialog boxes as well.

It is extremely frustrating when you are almost finished with a mix and you lose your last 4 minutes of work finalizing a vocal in the mix at 4 am...Even if I have just saved, sometimes my session does not reflect that..it goes back to the time of the last auto backup instead of the time I actually saved. I have this crash happen on a daily basis at least 5 or 6 times....doing the same type of automation editing with the same kind of automation density on an OS9 system years ago would not crash it....even with my 001 on OS9...that seems a bit embarrassing, don't you think?

I think this is one of the most significant PT bugs I have experienced.

I keep my system in good shape, have 2 different mirrored start-up drives with PT and get the same behavior with both. I have tried deleting the prefs, and carefully followed the "General Troubleshooting"posted on the DUC. Spotlight and dashboard are also disabled. I have experienced this bug from 7.2 on...but it has gotten worse through 7.3.1. I have checked my plug-ins and their compatibility....I have tried taking all of the plug-ins out of my plug-in folder and opened one of my finished mix sessions to rule out a plug-in issue....I edited automation for about a half hour got two graphic freezes and then it crashed like this...having auto backup on or off makes no difference..thought it might be the problem, but I get the same behavior either way.

System:

Dual 2.5 ghz G5
OSX 10.4.9
4.5 GB DDR SDRAM
HD2 Accel
PT 7.3.1 cs4

Hardware: Digi 192, Apogee AD16X, DA16X, clocked to Lavry Blue.

Playback Engine Settings:

H/W buffer: 256
RTAS processors: 2
CPU usage limit: 85%
number of voices: 160 (5 DSPs)
delay compensation engine: Long (4095 samples)
DAE playback buffer: level 2

note: I have the presonus faderport and the problem NEVER happens when writing or editing automation with it. the problem occurs only when using the hand selector to edit breakpoints or add them to existing automation.

related DUC threads:

Automation edits crash PT 7.3.1cs2 during playback:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...=&fpart=1&vc=1

PT 7.3.1 - Still Features Random Graphic Freezes:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...&sb=5&o=7&vc=1

Five second GUI freezes !!!:

Losing ability to type in Dialog boxes:

Old 08-18-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:

details: I get the spinning beach ball and the audio keeps playing but loses sync randomly.
That's not the same as the "Brain Freeze" -- with the freeze as I've encountered it - there is no spinning beach ball... The GUI simply stops responding.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 08-18-2007, 03:16 PM

Default Re: PT 7.3.1 - Still Features Random Graphic Freez

Quote:
During the GUI freeze (no beachball), the following occurs -

1) Cannot start or stop transport from the spacebar - TRUE
2) Cannot start or stop transport from a control surface (state which one) TRUE

I think I posted this to another one of the earlier threads on this issue: Something has changed with the freezes (probably with the update from 7.1 to 7.2):

I can now (using 7.2) stop the transport with the spacebar during a freeze, but couldn't under 7.1. I can now also click on things with the mouse in the frozen ProTools screen and hear the results (such as muting a track), but the screen will not change (meaning the muted track will audibly mute, but will look unmuted until the freeze ends).

It is possible that the difference could have been a Mac OS update, but I am pretty sure that my 7.1 to 7.2 upgrade changed the freeze characteristics.

I also just had a freeze and did not that the automation was working during the freeze.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Re: PT 7.3.1 - Still Features Random Graphic Freez

I am a Mac user who primarily uses Pro Tools on G5's now and I see these graphic freezes very rarely when I am doing music editing. But I do see them occasionally. But over the last few weeks I have been forced to use a PC and PT on the Dub stage and Guess What? The freezes occur on this system as well! I thought it was only a Mac G5 thing but according to my experience apparently not. I saw them very frequently. When they happened, The GUi freezes, the QT movie keeps playing, PT does not respond to keyboard commands if it is locked to timecode and the timecode is stopped during the freeze, it keeps playing until it unfreezes and the counters freeze. Exactly the same as on the Mac when it occurs. I was sure this was only a Mac thing and the PC was not effected. The machine was in a Machine room and had USB extenders and we also had a Command 8 connected but apart from that it was pretty stock as far as I can tell.
As to my experience with the PC......Give ma a Mac anyday, Sheesh, how can anyone use a PC after a Mac, it is so prehistoric.
regards
Simon L.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:33 PM

Chris A,

I get that same devastating crash with the automation editing every so often too. I haven't mentioned it (nor the "Assertion" error crash when using Quickpunch) so far, as I also believe it might be related to the screen freeze bug, but didn't want to complicate things here. I think you're right, it always seems to happen to me just as I'm finishing a mix and I've been frantically trimming automation by hand for the final tweeks, indicating it seems to crop up as the amount of automation climbs.

My rescue is usually pretty painless (yours seems way worse than mine) and often involves reverting to an autosave version and then remembering what's changed, but it sure is a time, credibilty and vibe killer.

Have you got a digital camera you could perch overlooking and catch this crash in the act?

Cheers for bringing this one up.

BP