Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-19-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Re: PT 7.3.1 - Still Features Random Graphic Freez

I am on a dual G4 1.25 system, never saw the freeze. 1 or 2 monitors.
I did, however have the system become slugish after using apple's idisk. Seems that digidesign databases are put on the idisk, and since its not a "local" disk, I guess that takes some time.
I usually watch "activity monitor" and make sure I never go above 70% of system in normal use of protools.
On 7.1 here, also work on 6.9.2 sometimes too.
Last week I traveled to a studio that had a G5 (dual 2.0, PCI) and protools behaved like a cranky bitch the whole time!
Lots of crashes, many freezes. The freezes were less frequent after I disabled the Control 24 and just used the mouse. I had no VI or midi, and a few RTAS, but not much. Also, many times, protools just dissapeared from the screen and the mac showed finder. No message no nothing. Practically hugged the G4 when I got home! FWIW, I have had my ilok get unplugged, and worked another 2-3 hours and the computer didn't notice. I don't think pace drivers get involved much while protools is running. Once I put the 1st oxford eq on, I can pull the ILOK and put on several more of that plugin. I also had a bad USB cable make my system go bananas a few times. Oddly enough, it was always the cables that MOTU packaged with their interfaces that caused trouble. It would be a screen freeze, and then protools would just vanish. Buying replacement cables fixed everything. Same thing with bad firewire cables. Just trying to help here. Gonna give the G4 another hug:)
Question, is anyone seeing this with the new MACPRO or is this a G5 thing?
tp
www.thomaspmusic.com
Old 02-19-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
We have hade the freezes since 6.9. On 3 HD3 systems.

I cant believe that this is still not being solved

//Marcus
We have not heard any substantiated reports of this freeze before Pro Tools 7.2. What OS version were you using with Pro Tools 6.9 (or was it 6.9.3?)

Danny Caccavo
Product Manager
Digidesign
Old 02-19-2007, 11:05 PM

Im not sure what version of 6.9 we used back then... Since its not a real crash you just ignore it and keep working and hope it will get solved in the next update....
Old 02-19-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
We have not heard any substantiated reports of this freeze before Pro Tools 7.2. What OS version were you using with Pro Tools 6.9 (or was it 6.9.3?)

Danny Caccavo
Product Manager
Digidesign
Uh - do you mean 7.0, Danny? Because I think there are a lot of people who have definitely seen it since 7.1. I personally saw 2 different systems on 7.1 that had the freeze issue.

Please have a look again at this thread

and this one

and, sorry but, this one too.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Damn, this is SCARY! I was just getting ready to get a brand new Mac Pro and switch from Windows, but if this is what's waiting for me I think I'll stay put for now...
Go ahead and "make that change".
As far as I know, all of my friends who have Mac Pro's are running flawlessly. No glitches!

This seems to be a 7.2 - 7.3.1, primarily dealing with G5's.
I have said it before, but this is something deep in the code of PT.
This does not manifest itself on DP or Logic using Digi hardware and until tonight I have never heard of it being on 6.9.

So say goodbye to Windows, their are others on the DUC who have made the switch and are very, very happy.

My New Instructional Mixing DVD 2 is Shipping
www.tonysound.com
http://twitter.com/tonysound
Old 02-20-2007, 12:54 AM

I am not 100% sure we had the freezes already in 6.9. We have had them since 7 for sure.

/Marcus
Old 02-20-2007, 07:43 AM

I didn't have any freezes until 7.x. I used 6.9.3 for a long time, with MIDI being a big part of it. I would've remembered any freezes since it affects MIDI recording/playback in a really bad way.

Yesterdays session was a nightmare. 7-8 freezes during those 6 hours. Destroyed three keyboard takes, and two vocal takes. Not to mention my own and the vocalists confidence in PT.

Her: "WTF are you doing?!"

Me: "I'm sorry. What you hear is a freeze that totally wrecks MIDI piano, drums and bass. I didn't have time to print it this time before we started."

Her: "WTF is MIDI?!"

Me: " "

Her: "?€!"

Me: " "

Her: " "

So, she took the whole thing pretty cool. I know, I know...print it. But I shouldn't have to.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:33 AM

FYI - in case this hasn't been brought up before: It is not a TOTAL screen freeze, in that the mouse will still move around (but you can't click on anything in Pro Tools). It is a "Pro Tools Freeze", since you can't do anything with the computer keyboard during the freeze either.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:08 AM

Hello. I seem to remember that someone had suggested in past threads about the freeze that clicking on the Edit window would remedy this? Does anybody else remember this being mentioned? I think that may be one workaround until this gets pinned down to a specific cause. In my opinion at the end of the day I think we will see that this lies in Apple's doorstep and not Digidesign's. I have noticed that ever since Pro Tools has been working under Tiger, maybe as far back as Jaguar, the instances of what I perceive to be network related problems have sparked up considerably. Things like spinning beach balls and GUI freezes and similar symptoms.

At the moment I can't think of specific examples to cite. Like most everybody here when a bug like this pops up, which tends to be an annoyance but not a showstopper, I move on with my day. Sometimes quite a bit of time goes by before I even remember it happening as I am busy working. This makes it almost impossible to narrow down details of what happened, when, where and how.

This I do know. Ever since Pro Tools has been working under Tiger, and as I mentioned maybe as far back as Jaguar, I personally have seen many different little 'bugs' like this which pop up intermittently and are just general annoyances. Most things that I remember somehow relate to network related issues. So I would not be surprised in the least if this bug gets nailed on a particular Apple OS related issue.

As you will notice here no one reports this bug at all on Windows XP. Is anybody out there running Panther or Jaguar that has a corresponding Pro Tools version that exhibits this? As Danny seems to think this is a 7.x issue and you can't run Pro Tools past 6.7 on Panther I believe then that is one variable that can narrow things down. Look at Apple and not Digidesign. Again, the things I remember as far back as Jaguar were not this particular bug, but were similar. Spinning beach balls, importing/exporting issues, etc. No showstoppers, just general annoyances. And most of them, like here, were almost impossible to reproduce. A good explanation for problems like that is that Apple's OS is the culprit and not Digidesign.

If that's the case it's not much comfort anyway for most as it seems to me that would be a lot more difficult to fix.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
In my opinion at the end of the day I think we will see that this lies in Apple's doorstep and not Digidesign's. I have noticed that ever since Pro Tools has been working under Tiger, maybe as far back as Jaguar, the instances of what I perceive to be network related problems have sparked up considerably. Things like spinning beach balls and GUI freezes and similar symptoms.
This could be an Apple issue, but then way dosen't it manifest on other programs such as DP or Logic?
No, I think this is PT related.

My New Instructional Mixing DVD 2 is Shipping
www.tonysound.com
http://twitter.com/tonysound