Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-29-2016, 08:49 AM

Default Monthly License/Subscription Vs. Annual

Hello,

Brand New user here. I was studying Pro Tools with the "Pro Tools First" version and the trial cut off. I want to use PT with my usual DAW (Reason) and thought I would study for a bit before I buy.

So now I am at that decision time where I realize I have to buy.

I know the answer is out there and I've looked, but can't find.

Is there any major difference in what you GET, between the monthly license and annual? Would you guys suggest one form over the other?

I know this is a super noob question, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Monthly License/Subscription Vs. Annual

Perpetual, if don't like it... Sell the Ilok account with the licenses and the empty USB.

The advantage of New perpetual vs. used perpetual, are the bundled plugins, I've seen PT12/11/10 bundle now includes TelRay, also technical support direct with AVid, & Free updates for a year.

Mac or Windows?
Anyway.., the best for Windows is 12.3.1, if you have technical support you can ask them to give you that version.
Click: User lists^
Click: Add to ignore list.
Solved.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevtav View Post
Hello,

Brand New user here. I was studying Pro Tools with the "Pro Tools First" version and the trial cut off. I want to use PT with my usual DAW (Reason) and thought I would study for a bit before I buy.

So now I am at that decision time where I realize I have to buy.

I know the answer is out there and I've looked, but can't find.

Is there any major difference in what you GET, between the monthly license and annual? Would you guys suggest one form over the other?

I know this is a super noob question, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Thanks in Advance.
Pro Tools First is not a "trial", it is free up to three sessions. You should be able to delete sessions, or pay for additional ones if you want. First is also so feature stripped, not compatible with Pro Tools session files (locks your sessions into their cloud forever) and buggy that I'd not be wasting any time using it. There are lots of better options, depending on what you want to do. Including Pro Tools.

Pro Tools (all versions) is very fussy about hardware and OS and plugin compatibility. You need to look at the systems requirements and OS compatibility matricies very carefully before starting. e.g. http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart

The main benefit of trying a monthly subscription of Pro Tools 12 is you get to see if it works at all. Unfortunately recent Pro Tools 12.5 and 12.5.1 releases are problematic for many users. 12.4 is often a better release. Many users are still running Pro Tools 10 or 11. If you specifically want Pro Tools 11 you can find a trial for that on Avid's web site.

If you buy a Pro Tools 12 licenses, you also get licenses in that to Run 10 and 11. That is not done with the monthly subscription which is Pro Tools 12 only currently. Make sure you understand the annual update and support subscriptions costs in addition to buying a perpetual license. The best place to go with sales/licensing questions and to buy this stuff is a dealer like Sweetwater who will stand behind what they tell you, and are easy to get a hold of, unlike Avid.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:39 AM

Okay thanks. I was looking to get Pro Tools 12, so monthly would work for me as a new user since I have no carry over files from 10 or 11. I'll check out Sweetwater. I already have my iLOK 2 unopened in preparation.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPC View Post
Perpetual, if don't like it... Sell the Ilok account with the licenses and the empty USB.

The advantage of New perpetual vs. used perpetual, are the bundled plugins, I've seen PT12/11/10 bundle now includes TelRay, also technical support direct with AVid, & Free updates for a year.

Mac or Windows?
Anyway.., the best for Windows is 12.3.1, if you have technical support you can ask them to give you that version.
I don't have $599 for a new perpetual.

Windows 10 user