Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 03-14-2016, 11:43 AM

Default Does a new HDX2/PTHD purchase include PTHD10 license

Hello,

We need to purchase another HDX2 system to integrate into our television facilities. The other workstations are currently running PTHD10 and we can't upgrade for a few months until we can take everything down for maintenance. Therefore our new workstation must run PT10HD.

I have searched this forum, other forae, the Avid store and support sites, and I cannot come up with a valid answer to this question. I started a support request a few days ago but have not had any response unfortunately.

We already have renewed our PT10HD systems with the subscription plans which included a license for PT10/11/12HD, but I don't know if a NEW purchase has the PT10HD license.

Thank you for any valid information.
Sincerely,
Hugh
Old 03-14-2016, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Does a new HDX2/PTHD purchase include PTHD10 license

I am pretty sure all current bundled HD licenses still include Pro Tools HD 10 in the bundle. A sales rep at an Avid dealer should be able to answer this question instantly, give folks at Vintage King, Sweetwater or RSPE a call... ideally call the dealer you would buy this from. All the firms mentioned should stand behind any statement/commitment they make.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:00 PM

All new systems come with PTHD 10/11/12

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 03-14-2016, 04:16 PM

Hello Barry,
Thank you for the response. You are a recognized helpful member of the community so I intend this question with respect - is there somewhere I can find that written down? Avid's information has been less than great.

Thanks,
Hugh
Old 03-14-2016, 04:20 PM

I don't have sure but,

This is out it goes with Vanilla version, if is full license new, It will come only with PT12, if is a upgrade you'll get 10/11/12 in the same License.

It might be the same to HD, if is a upgrade from a old system you will get the 3 licenses, if is a new one it could be only the HD 12.

But I'm only supposing with the info we got, I might answer this in a few months in a different way, I think we at work need to buy a new HD system from scratch.

Check with a official Avid Rep, they might know better.

Regards,

Dialog Editor, Sound Designer, Re-Recording mixer

nMacPro 6Core/D500/512GB/64Gb ram | PT HD 12 HDN Thunderbolt | HD OMNI | Avid Artist Mix | Novation Impulse 25 | Waves Mercury Native | Audioease All In Bundle | SoundToys | McDSP Classic Pack | DUY Overpack | Arturia Beatstep Pro
Old 03-14-2016, 04:26 PM

I bought HDX with PT12HD from Alto Music 3 weeks ago and it came with 10/11/12 HD and Vanilla. Call the dealer you are working with if you are concerned.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 03-14-2016, 04:54 PM

What Darryl and Barry say was certainly true until very recently, and MAY still be true now.

BUT ... all references to getting a PT10 and PT11 license with a PT12 purchase, whether HD or vanilla, have now been removed from the Pro Tools pages describing what you get, what's included, etc. etc..

The Pro Tools FAQ and Licensing FAQ are no linger linked to for the extra clarification they provided.

A knowledge base search does find the Pro Tools Licensing FAQ here ...
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-Licensing-FAQ

It was updated on March 11th 2016, and while it confirms that UPGRADES to PT12 from 10/11 do still provide a 10/11/12 license bundle, it says nothing about new purchases of PT12.

The more general Pro Tools FAQ for Pro Tools 12 seems to have gone from the site. There is still one for Pro Tools 11, but the only one I can trace for PT12 now is the licensing one linked to above.

So, as far as I can find, there is no longer any current information on Avid's Website or in a knowledge base article that confirms a PT10 and PT11 license is still included with NEW Pro Tools 12 purchases.

I do remember Avid saying, in one of the DUC threads on this very subject, that 10/11 licenses would be included until at least the rnd of 2015, so it is entirely possible that they are not included any longer.

A definitive statement from Avid would be useful.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 03-15-2016, 10:07 AM

Hello Nigel,

Thank you for the response, my search experience as well has been that any references to licensing and new purchases has been removed and I've searched everywhere I can find.

I received a "working on it" response from Avid, we'll see what they say.

Hugh
Old 03-15-2016, 01:51 PM

It has all the hallmarks of another completely avoidable pr/marketing disaster with the brown stuff about to hit the fan yet again.

It's almost as if they get some perverse pleasure from constantly pulling the rug from under our feet.

And it's not as if, in the grand scheme of things, there is any significant benefit gained from alienating people.

The one thing I do know is that every time a new license is issued, and each individual license in a bundle counts as one license, a fee has to be paid by Avid to Pace. This is true even if an old license or license bundle is being surrendered.

So the sooner Avid remove 10 & 11 licenses from the bundle the better for them financially. But I don't imagine we are talking about a significant bottom line figure change.

I think they know they can't yet get away with removing them from upgrades, given the ongoing issues with 12, but they are perhaps calculating that they can get away with it on new purchases. And they have a track record over the last couple of years of making changes like this quietly and waiting to see what the reaction is. Like when at one point last Autumn they removed 10/11 from PT12 upgrade if you didn't buy the support plan as well as the upgrade plan, only to have to change that policy after a massive furore over it.

I wonder how many people Will kick up a fuss? Because that may well determine the policy going forward !
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 03-15-2016, 01:59 PM

I've asked Jeffro to clarify. Standby.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.