Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2012, 02:03 PM

Default Is it my external HD???

Hey everyone. Been doing some work lately and my sessions have all been giving me 9073 errors. Things used to run perfect on PT9 after switching to 10 i occasionally would get the errors but they are getting more and more frequent now so at this point I'm wondering if its my external HD.

Computer Specs
Mid 2010 13" MacBook Pro
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB RAM

Interface:
MBox 2 Pro

External Drive:
OWC Mercury AL Elite Pro 250 GB.

Set up is MBP = FW800/400 cable = MBox = FW 400 cable = External Drive

The disk cache on the drive is 8 MB according to OWC and I've read that it could be the problem. I have yet to be able to find what the seek time is for the drive though.

I also have a LaCie Quadra 1TB external drive that I had mainly been using for backup/storage that has a 32 MB disk cache. Would it be better for me to switch this to my main audio drive? Or would I be better off getting a USB interface so that way my drive can plug in at FW 800 speeds.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2012, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Is it my external HD???

That drive should be fine. Does it still happen if connected MBP-->HD-->Interface? That is the 'recommended' configuration.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastikman View Post
That drive should be fine. Does it still happen if connected MBP-->HD-->Interface? That is the 'recommended' configuration.
I can't configure it like that because the MBox 2 pro doesn't support FW800. All I'll get is buffer underflowed errors
Old 02-14-2012, 04:00 PM

Should still work with your FW800-400 cable though, right? That hard drive has two FW400 ports, doesn't it?

I would have a hard time believing that OWC drive is the problem since I know a lot of folks use those and it says right on their page that they are PT qualified. Unless something changed with PT10 and it's HD cache size requirements. Have you tried testing a session using the Lacie?

Last edited by plastikman; 02-14-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: modification of the post
Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastikman View Post
Should still work with your FW800-400 cable though, right? That hard drive has two FW400 ports, doesn't it?

I would have a hard time believing that OWC drive is the problem since I know a lot of folks use those and it says right on their page that they are PT qualified. Unless something changed with PT10 and it's HD cache size requirements. Have you tried testing a session using the Lacie?
only one and I've tried it the other way and the MBox Pro still gives the error messages. Its the most annoying thing ever for a hard drive to have to run half speed.

At this point I'm going to just try the LaCie. I can't work on half my sessions because of this.