Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 09-22-2019, 01:31 PM

Default Interface for Pro Tools Ultimate Recommendation

I recently purchased pro tools ultimate. All my older interfaces are to old and have no new software drivers so I can not get the software to open and get this message.

Could not complete your request because Assertion in "E:\ Code\ 238951\ ProTools\ AAE\ Source\ AAX\ CFicAAXWidget.cpp", line 994.
(Use the Copy button to copy this message to the clipboard.).

Even when I hold down the N as it boots it gets close to opening then just closes completely with no error message.

Can someone give me a recommendation for a quality interface without breaking the bank.

XPS 15 7590, Intel Core i9-9980HK, CPU @ 2.40GHz, 32GB RAM, 64-bit operating system, X64-based processor

Windows 10 Pro Version 1903
Old 09-22-2019, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Interface for Pro Tools Ultimate Recommendation

What interface do you have now that is not working?
Old 09-22-2019, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Interface for Pro Tools Ultimate Recommendation

You will need to give us some requirements to let us help you. I'm more nervous here as ultimate implies you might have more needs than many questions like this.

What are you recording... just give us as much info as you can e.g. two mic podcast? Singer/songwriter, vocals and acoustic guitar on two tracks? 4 person band, with vocals x 2, bass DI, miced guitar cab, 4 mics on drum, but drum tracked separately so can share those inputs. Or maybe you are just bringing content home to mix from recording sessions elsewhere, or doing voice over work, etc. Any idea what you are trying to achieve helps.

You have a laptop - does the interface need to be portable?

How many analog inputs and outputs do you need? (how many analog sources do you need to record concurrently)

What low-latency hardware monitoring features do you want? Do you want reverb/EQ on that hardware?

Are you recording guitar or bass and want a DI (direct input) in the interface for recording that? How many?

What digital input and output do you need, if any? S/PDIF? AES/EBU? ADAT/SMUX?

Do you have other gear, like outboard analog preamps you want to use?

What is your old interface? (it may have a stand alone/ADAT mode to let you reuse some of its preamps?).

Your XPS 15 7590 laptop has Thunderbolt 3 which means it's potentially a candidate for a Thunderbolt audio interface, even though support for that is a bit rough still on Windows. There are some fantastic Thunderbolt interfaces... but I'd want to hear they are running on that exact laptop, or be able to test well and return them if needed. Otherwise you are looking at USB 3 interfaces.

It's also often worth asking what bandmates/coworkers/friends have for hardware. Especially with more complex interfaces it's nice to be able to get help.

Can you give us an idea of your budget as well. This is one area where it's easy to spend $5k on something really nice, when maybe $500 would do to start with.

Vendors to look at include Universal/UAD, MOTU, RME, Presonus, Focusrite. Product features and costs vary wildly, browsing at Sweetwater.com will also give you an idea of capabilities.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-22-2019 at 02:05 PM.