Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-08-2004, 02:30 PM

Default making 2nd track take on EQ curve of 1st track?

I'm looking for an EQ plugin that "learns" the EQ curve of a particular audio file or track, and makes a 2nd one take on that EQ curve. I'd use it to help make a vocal recorded in one place/time sound more like a vocal recorded at another place/time, for example. Or do a quick-and-dirty "fix" to the EQ of a mis-EQed guitar, for example.

I found a few plugins that might do this:

Firium
http://www.elementalaudio.com/produc...ium/index.html

Assimilator EQ-Curve Duplicator for PowerCore
http://aes.harmony-central.com/113AE...similator.html

Arboretum Ionizer
http://www.arboretum.com/products/pl...nizer_mac.html

Steinberg FreeFilter
http://www.thedirectxfiles.com/manuf...freefilter.htm

Anyone know of any plugins that do this, that are RTAS or AS, PTLE compatible? Any thoughts on this kind of thing, real-world reviews, etc.?

Ted.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:34 PM

Default Re: making 2nd track take on EQ curve of 1st track

I'm really not trying to be an ass here, but what is it about the ol' "listen-adjust-compare-repeat" method that's not working for you now?
Old 01-08-2004, 02:55 PM

I've been doing that for years in my little home studio, but I find that it just takes too much time, and I often don't "get it right". I try adjusting different frequencies, adjusting the Q, adjusting the amount, and if I'm pinched for time, I often just don't "get it right."

The biggest problem is probably my monitors -- they're only "okay," and so when I play an audio file I've done in my studio on my home stereo (for example), the bass is muddy. Yeah, there are "more correct" ways to fix my problems, but I figured a quick-and-dirty solution would be to conform the EQ of either a track or a whole mix to a "tried-and-true" EQ curve.

I think Firium might be what I want:

http://emusician.com/ar/emusic_plugging_eq/index.htm
http://www.kvr-vst.com/user_review/638.html
http://mixonline.com/ar/audio_elemen...tems/index.htm

Ted.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:59 PM

Eqing to compensate for your room is nto the way to go. get better monitors, or learn the curve of your current bomitors better. Perhaps you need some room treatment to tame the bass response. In any case, eqing the tracks to compensate for the room is a bad approach IMHO.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:05 PM

I have seen TC PowerCore/Assimilator at work, - it does what you are asking for pretty convincingly. Maybe you should check it out.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:46 AM

Thanks! Do you know if TC PowerCore is compatible at all with PTLE, even the new firewire setup?

FWIW, I'm getting close to the point of dropping PT altogether and going with something less proprietary/insecure/protective. VSTs, AUs, etc. would be nice....
Old 01-10-2004, 10:57 AM

I have used the plugin in the past and you can get decent results but can also ruin stuff so be careful.
Example
If you have a guitar that has a great sounding mid/hi range so it is boosted a few dB's and then you transfer it to a guitar that has a real bright tone.
The same eq will not work on both instruments.

Another, say you have a full band mix. the eq is set to bring out the kick a little bit.
now in your mix the bad sounds your bass makes are the same frequency.
You just boosted the bad sound.

If it was that easy we would use presets for everything.

On similar sounding individual instruments is can help you learn to eq though.
Just use it carefully.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:24 PM

I somewhat dislike posts that don't answer the OP's question and instead spout off on why the spirit behind the question itself should be questioned....

But I'm going to write one anyway, so I apologize in advance.

I really don't get the idea behind "make my EQ sound like that EQ". EQ is tool that takes time and effort to learn over years of trial and error. There simply is no substitute for proper use of EQ (or any process in the recording chain for that matter) - even if "pushed for time". (by the way, I don't get that part either. In what situations do you find yourself "pushed for time" to exactly match the EQ of other material?...and why would you be doing that anyway?)

I'd imagine that one might be able to build a machine that could compact any car into the shape of a Ferrari - but I'm pretty sure that the result wouldn't drive like a Ferrari, if it drove at all. You'd just have a pretty ugly looking "Ferrari shaped" car that's completely useless. Such is the "EQ matching".

Look, I know your question didn't call for this answer, I admit that - but it seems like a cop-out to ask technology to hit a moving target that doesn't really fit nice n' tidy in an algorithm or any sort of analysis/modeling. EQ, either on one track or the whole mix, is so subjective that I cannot imagine ever pushing a single button to have an EQ "setup" for me.

Alright, that's all - I hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:54 PM

Quote:
In what situations do you find yourself "pushed for time" to exactly match the EQ of other material?...and why would you be doing that anyway?
In addition to doing what most everyone else here does (multitrack music production), I am a software developer, working in the voice application arena. We write software that allows people to call up a number (for example, Wells Fargo small business loan department) and "talk" with a computer to find out (for example) the status of your small business loan. It's all voice-activated stuff; the caller never actually speaks with a human unless they ask to do so.

Because Text-To-Speech technology isn't currently "good" enough, we use WAV snippets of words and phrases for the "voice" that callers interact with, linking them together so it sounds like a real conversation. For a recent application, we had hundreds of these WAVs, recorded with a voice artist over several different studio sessions, inevitably using slightly different mic placements/environments. As a result, the WAVs recorded at different times sound a bit different from each other (EQ and volume). When "concatenated" together (joining the various WAVs into a sentence), the sentence can sound a bit incongruent.

So, among other things, I was thinking of using this (or some other) plugin to get the WAV snippets to have the same EQ, so when they're concatenated, there won't be as much variation between the phrases/words in a sentence.

Sometimes either for a demo or for an update, we need to record and process some words or phrases in a matter of hours, hand them off to the developers to incorporate into the application, and then deploy the software for either the client or business development people to test or use. So sometimes time is fairly short.

Does that make sense?

Ted.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Does that make sense?

Ted.
Yeah, makes sense enough. The best plugin for your specific situation I can think of is TC Master X. When used on VO it has a tendency to kind of force all takes to sound similar...it's a multiband limiter so it basically "shoves" audio into the volume and EQ you choose. More extreme settings result in more formulaic/repeatable results when using varied material. Good luck.

(After typing all of this, I'm not even sure if TC Master X is available as RTAS...)