Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Re: It\'s Official:Mix Support coming to an End!!

Quote:
Totally Bogus...

And, the better features like ADC and Track Punch (the best features of 6.4)are not happening with the last update either. Add to that the incompatability with G5's

How big of an issue is this eventually going to be when working on sessions done with advanced versions of PT software above say 6.1? Are we really getting left in the dust here??
Wasn't really ready to buy an HD system...lol

Let's see some feedback here...anyone used MIX hardware in a G5??

Steve

I Had a G5 1.6 running but I could not use it with 1 DSP(32voice). It would say buss is too slow. I had to run all sessions at 2Chips(64voice) but the track count was about 24 before it would bog down the buss. I found out that the 1.6 G5 was the only one that would somewhat run P.T. and that the 1.8 and Dual 2.0 was totally unfunctional. I found out that the logic board architecture made it incapable to fix by a software update. I had to turn around and buy another G4 Dual 1.25. Funds for the HD was unavailable for me but I will need to ungrade very soon.
1- HDX
1 - Apogee Symphony Mk2 8x8
1 - HD 16x16 Interface
MOTU MTP/AV
------------------------------
Second System
Mac Pro 2013 3.5GHz 6-core Xeon E5-1650v2
32GB RAM
1 - HDX
1 - Avid Thunderbolt 3 Expansion Chassis
1 - HD 8X8 Interface

MARVINBASS Digital Audio, LLC
Ex PT Beta Tester
Woodland Hills, CA.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:19 PM

I wonder why this info was buried and not announced on the DUC by Digi.

Shame, perhaps?
Old 04-23-2004, 04:38 PM

I've seen a few attempts in different online venues to determine the ratio of MIX to HD systems currently in operation. Anecdotal evidence would suggest that there are A LOT of MIX systems still out there waiting to be upgraded.

This is a problem for Digi on a number of fronts: support, development resources, profit from upgrades, OS support, etc.

It was bound to happen and it's a strategic move; an assessed risk.

As is always true: things will continue to get more interesting.

Some people claim that a portion (the size of that portion being argued) of MIX owners cling to the old hardware/software config because new copy protection methods required by upgrading will mean the end of their bulging plug-in folder.

Six years ain't a bad run. As an HD owner, I'm just sorry that the Accel deal went the way it did. MIX owners still have an upgrade path. Early/original HD adopters do not. That tells you how badly Digi wants to move MIX owners to HD to eliminate the problems with having so much old hardware/software out there working.

j mcd
Old 04-23-2004, 06:33 PM

Default Re: It\'s Official:Mix Support coming to an End!! *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by Chief Technician
Old 04-24-2004, 12:40 AM

I have owned and used every ProTools configuration there is (including ProMaster 20). I am not complaining. Your SoundTools, 442 system, Session8, ProTools PCI, D24, MixPlus, etc. will still do what it was designed to do. You do not have to upgrade. What you are using now will still do what it was designed to do.

Try trading back an unsupported Mac to Apple. I have 8 of them. I would love to trade one of my 9600s back to Apple for a new G5 2 ghz DP. It isn't going to happen. I just use them for other jobs. My IIci won't run HD either, but it makes a great reverb unit with the Lexicon NuVerb (both unsupported).

Get over it. Times and gear change along with their capabilities. I am grateful Digidesign has a trade up policy period. Users should stop complaining about advances in technology and either keep what they have and be happy, or upgrade and move on.
(970) 663-1650
InSight Sound Web Page
Old 04-24-2004, 02:42 AM

I guess im looking at it from a different view, but this might lower the prices of Mix rigs that are on the used market....
Old 04-24-2004, 12:28 PM

I myself just picked up a MIX3 system for $3050. Tis the patient man who reaps the benefits.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:49 PM

There ya go! MIX cards were $3k a year and a half ago, so there must be a ton of good deals out there. My MIX system is great for my needs. I have plenty of tracks for music and power for post stuff that I do, and with another MIX farm or 2 the DSP thing will be huge.

There is something to be said for the fat OS9 plugins folder, and let's just leave it at that. Eventually, the same OSX folder will be fat too! I think the upgrade from MIX to HD/Accel is better than what the HD people got last year, but still way too expensive, but that's my opinion. As previously said, it all depends what you're doing. And yes, this system will work fine for this year and next and possibly next. At that point, when they stop supporting HD, those systems will be way cheaper and still be a fat system! Then it's time to buy.....

Steve
Old 04-24-2004, 01:13 PM

Insights7 wrote:
"MixPlus, etc. will still do what it was designed to do. You do not have to upgrade. What you are using now will still do what it was designed to do".

True, and your post is very "insights"-full.

However, I feel for the people and products being left at the curb. I get so tired of the techno-roller coaster...frustrating and expensive. Same thing is happening in a lot of other (most) industies too- have to keep the development wheels turning to keep profits up and shareholders happy. Still get's exhaustive on the consumer's end... Unless you have deep pockets.
LB.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:39 PM

Quote:
There is something to be said for the fat OS9 plugins folder, and let's just leave it at that. Eventually, the same OSX folder will be fat too!
Steve,

You should be ashamed of yourself. There is NOTHING to be said about the blatant piracy that musicians and engineers, the creators of intellectual property, have brought upon the industry.

I am amazed how people who make their living (or want to make their living) creating copyrighted works have little to no sensitivity to those that make their tools.

You should trash your "fat" plugins folder at once and apologize to the software developers you've been stealing from by having the cracks on your machine.

jr