How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 08-10-2020, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Kontakt 6 on ProTools - Orchestral Composition

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Looks like you may be answer this question ( I know it's a little OT but have to ask): know a good sax library that works in Kontakt6? I also have Play libraries but would like to stay away from them.
Well, if you’re looking for more of an orchestral thing, I would check out the Chris Hein best service stuff. The quality is excellent.

https://www.bestservice.com/virtual_...ss__winds.html

If it’s solo sax stuff, that’s always been one of those instruments that I’ve never even attempted to try to fake with either synthesizer or samples. There’s just too many human elements in it to replicate realistically.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:56 AM

I always compose in Cubase, but nevertheless still use VE Pro for orchestral stuff. It's just massively more efficient, so PT isn't alone.

That said, there are some specific issues related to PT and Kontakt. I get system crashes when the RX Connect window is open and I try to load an instrument in Kontakt (same thing in Battery, but those are the only two I've found). NI are aware of the issue. It's likely different to the OP's problem, I merely mention it as there do appear to be AAX-specific gremlins.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 09-02-2020, 08:34 AM

Yeah I agree with the previous post...I was on MacPro 2009 with 24GB RAM and I could literally not load more than 6-8 VI's (also Spitfire user) or 8-12 Play VI's. Since the upgrade to the new Mac Pro I can build enormous templates without any problems. So ... I know it's not a solution per se, but just wanted to share my own personal experience. And I also have Vienna stuff...but there's at the moment no "sense" to use it as I can work in PT alone.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion777 View Post
Yeah I agree with the previous post...I was on MacPro 2009 with 24GB RAM and I could literally not load more than 6-8 VI's (also Spitfire user) or 8-12 Play VI's. Since the upgrade to the new Mac Pro I can build enormous templates without any problems. So ... I know it's not a solution per se, but just wanted to share my own personal experience. And I also have Vienna stuff...but there's at the moment no "sense" to use it as I can work in PT alone.
How enormous is enormous? And you are loading everything in ProTools? Especially with 3 HDX cards you won't be limited like a lot of us are at 384 voices. So I'm curious how many VIs you've got loaded.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcowe View Post
How enormous is enormous? And you are loading everything in ProTools? Especially with 3 HDX cards you won't be limited like a lot of us are at 384 voices. So I'm curious how many VIs you've got loaded.
...And therein lies the rub. I’m on HDX1 here (256 voices) and run out of voices WAAAAY before I run out of memory. Like I’m running out of voices using a third or so of 384GB RAM. I’m therefore loading a lot of instrument tracks inactive which kind of defeats the object.

I’m contemplating a second HDX card but as soon as I get that, no doubt Avid will finally deliver on that long promised HDX voice upgrade.

Even with super-fast NVMEe storage, my composing PT template still takes over 5 minutes to load with 256 tracks active, (mostly Spitfire and Orchestral Tools.) That wouldn’t be any faster in any other DAW. So VE Pro sat in the background stuffed full of samples saves me maybe two hours per week that would otherwise be spent watching PT open sessions. That alone is reason enough to use VE Pro for me.

A couple of other observations I found surprising....

There are some pretty demanding Kontakt instruments as we know... they eat polyphony and CPU. Either hosted in PT or VE Pro, an individual instance can only use one CPU core. With the same buffer setting and MIDI data, I’ve had some instruments overload one core in Logic but play fine in Pro Tools.

I also find VI latency to be lower with HDX. For any given buffer setting, I’ve found latency is approximately doubled running a native Core Audio USB interface than it is when running in HDX. In other words, to get the same VI latency with an HDX buffer of 256, I would need to run PT natively at 128. That’s a BIG difference in CPU usage!

From where I’m sat, PT is a pretty sweet VI host voice count notwithstanding.