Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2013, 08:13 AM

Default Transferring Audio Files Between Sessions.

Does anyone know the best way of transferring audio files to a new session?

I have two sessions that are about, let's say 6 gigs each. They are almost identical except for the earlier session that I created doesn't have the changes I need that I did in the new session. When I open the latest/newest session (the session I want to use w/my changes), Pro Tools is telling me that I have missing files and cannot find my files. When I go to look at the audio within the session, it's blank. I can see the region but I have no audio file there when I play it. But when I go into the old session, the files are all there on the timeline. I don't want the old session because I've made lots of changes to the new session. I want to actually put the old session in the trash, but I believe if I do that, the newer session that I want to use will be trying to search for audio files within the other session. How do I transfer the audio that is on the timeline in the old session to the timeline that is in the new session.

Do I have to export each individual stem to the new audio files folder in my new session? Not sure. There has to be an easy solution to all of this. Do I have to copy and paste all of the audio files that are in the audio files folder in the old session to the audio files folder in the new session? Seems that there should be an easier way.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Transferring Audio Files Between Sessions.

Sounds like you need to do some manual relinking and/or some "forced" relinking. If all the files are in fact there within these two sessions, you just need the new session to find them. Search the manual using those terms and see what you find.

Once you get that new session to see everything, I'd recommend you do a Save Copy and check the Audio Files box to get everything you need into one new session.

I'm sure others will chime in with their 2 cents as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinlance View Post

I have two sessions that are about, let's say 6 gigs each. They are almost identical except for the earlier session that I created doesn't have the changes I need that I did in the new session. When I open the latest/newest session (the session I want to use w/my changes), Pro Tools is telling me that I have missing files and cannot find my files. When I go to look at the audio within the session, it's blank. I can see the region but I have no audio file there when I play it. But when I go into the old session, the files are all there on the timeline. I don't want the old session because I've made lots of changes to the new session. I want to actually put the old session in the trash, but I believe if I do that, the newer session that I want to use will be trying to search for audio files within the other session. How do I transfer the audio that is on the timeline in the old session to the timeline that is in the new session.

Do I have to export each individual stem to the new audio files folder in my new session? Not sure. There has to be an easy solution to all of this. Do I have to copy and paste all of the audio files that are in the audio files folder in the old session to the audio files folder in the new session? Seems that there should be an easier way.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Sounds like you need to do some manual relinking and/or some "forced" relinking. If all the files are in fact there within these two sessions, you just need the new session to find them. Search the manual using those terms and see what you find.

Once you get that new session to see everything, I'd recommend you do a Save Copy and check the Audio Files box to get everything you need into one new session.

I'm sure others will chime in with their 2 cents as well.
Thanks Drew. Well appreciated. I just did a Save Copy As and saved all of the files that were in the timeline. I was just under the impression that Pro Tools, when an audio file has been imported, put the file(s) in the audio bin, and when it is in the audio bin, it is saved in the session (audio folder) in the same project folder as the session. Hmmmm....
Old 07-01-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinlance View Post
Open the new session and then Import Session Data from the old session, selecting the tracks with the audio you need.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:45 PM

You can literally drag the contents of the audio files folder of the session that works into the audio files folder of the session that is missing the files and it will open up fine. No save copy ins, no disk allocation troubles. It's pretty easy.

Luckily, PT always looks in that folder first for audio files, so if they are missing, but you know where they are, you can just toss them in the audio files folder and presto. working session.

hope this helps!